darkvapor

What type of gun should I get?

Somebody else in this threat brought up the CZ-75, which is a great inexpensive handgun. It's a 9mm but there's a variation out there that's in .40 that might be more to your liking. I don't know if this is common across the board for them but mine is a dead-on tack driving -- when in the hands of somebody skilled. I'm proficient with it but a retired Marine (who recommended it to me) picked it up for the first time, laid out 10 rounds, put it down and informed me my gun was "confused". "It's a combat pistol that thinks it's a target pistol. Can I buy it?" An empty mag doesn't drop right ouf the frame but there's a nice lip on the end of the mag that makes it easy to release with your right hand while your left sweeps it out which is fine since your hand is going that way anyway to grab the next mag. Best of both worlds really because if there's a time when you don't want the mag flying out and having to catch it you don't have to. It's a military weapon (in the EU) and it's damned reliable. I can get 15 round mags for about $60 bucks last I looked.

I've got a Glock 21 also (full sized .45 ACP)... great gun, very reliable and plenty accurate. High-cap mags for this are friggen expensive though. I had to pay $135 each for my 13 rounders.

Don't think I've ever got my hands on an H&K. If I did I didn't remember it. I've had some nice tricked out Kimber .45's lent to me for a few rounds and they were just great. Anything based off the 1911 design certainly has my approval.

If you buy a ruger semi-auto you might as well just throw the damn thing at the guy and hope you clock him in the head. I've shot two different models (85D and 95D I think) which had a polymer frame and a silver-ish colored slide. Both had chambering problems and stove pipes way too often for my taste. If you have one, or get one, I'd suggest putting 500 rounds of what you'd use for "business" ammo through it. If it jams once, change ammo... they're picky.

Glocks tend to eat up and spit out anything you shove into them though. Gotta love that.

Has anybody here gotten their hands on a Springfield Armory XD pistol? Those have my interest right now. A polymer design (comparable to Glock I hear) with a 1911's grip angle which is much more natural to people that the steep angle Glock uses. The extra grip safety is interesting too.

Remember, if you're going for concealed carry here, it's also important to find something that's not going to snag on your clothes. That's one of the reasons I see Glock as being so popular for such purposes. There's no exposed hammer, the safety isn't side mounted so there's one less thing to snag, and the slide release is a pretty small tab. I'd probably take a little sandpaper to mine to smooth that edge out a bit before I tucked it into my pants though.

sound of a pump action shotgun cycling is universally known and very scary

Well, that, and the fact that unless you're very close to the wall, nothing will end up going through the wall, and you don't have to aim just real well ("aim in the general direction with hands shaking" works OK with an unchoked shotgun)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Go for the gusto and get the H & K .50 Cal (with bi-pod;))
------------"Reach out and spread the love, one squeeze at a time!"
(a better solution--find a better neighborhood:ph34r:)

What's with you Americans and your guns??

I just don't get it.

Because of our lawyers getting violent criminals free after a few years of cooldown period sometimes the only real deterrent is the knowledge that someone may have some protection besides the police.

Not ALL americans share this view. This forum is visited by a large population of people of action/ adventure. DZ.com U.S. posters may have a High percentage of gun enthusiasts. Just like dropzones all over the world may have a high percentage of military personnel as staff or customers.
Oh and I love my glock too!

I like my glock 23.. a 40 cal and mid sized fire arm.. not hard to conceal but still has enough stopping power.

i enjoyed amazing accuracy with my 23, but did not have magextenders so i was really uncomfy gripping with 2 fingers. a little tiring too.

you have that kind of problem? id like to see dave grab onto a 23. finny thought.

and i have to agree with dave on the ruger. mine was a p89. didnt jam much but was just real 'loose' and noisy. know what i mean. traded mine for a standup bass.

Actually my 23 is a perfect fit for my hand..

I like my glock 23

Me too. But there are times when I wish I had rather opted for a 38 special revolver (equal stopping power, half the size, and five shots should be enough for most situations)

There are some situations that not leaving shell casings all over the ground is a good thing;)
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Here a a couple that I have laying aroun the house just in case I need them . The first three are very quiet and the other one is anything but quiet except for when I put the can on him . The big toy one is for the really fat theif that needs the extra penetration that only a .50bmg can give . Gotta run the girlfriend needs help looking for her cat:):P

I want this gun for personal defense, as well as weekend shooting. So I want reliability and accuracy. I'm also leaning towards the larger calibres. A 9mm ain't gonna cut it.

I don't know how much thought you've put into this but just a few of my suggestions. When you say personal defense I assume you mean in your home. The other option is for concealed carry on your person in public. Two things to consider here. One, is that for home defense you want to eliminate multiple penetration of walls if you happen to miss your target. Hand cannons have a tendency to blow big holes in walls. Not sure if you have kids or neighbors to be concerned with. Two, carrying a large caliber handgun around on your person concealed is a pain in the ass, literally.

Other factors to consider: Reliability is dependant on what your application consists of. If it means pulling it out every once in a while and it working correctly then just about every gun out there will work(don't get me on a S&W rant) but if your looking at using the gun for matches or any type of serious shooting then your looking at modifing an off the shelf gun. As far as accuracy goes, that boils down to individual shooting skills. Any modern gun is going to shoot where you point it. It's all the variables between your putting your finger on the trigger ,aiming and ultimately squeezing the trigger that determines where the round goes. I have witnessed this first hand and now am fairly good at doing it myself. I watched Jerry Barnhart pick up several guns he had never fired before and shoot them better than the owner from the first round. It's about knowing how to do the basics very well, thats the secret, don't tell everyone;)

As far as your choice in weapons and caliber I can say this, many police and Gov't agencies use 40 so it may or may not affect the cost of your ammo for maintaining proficiency but it is something to consider. I don't want to start a caliber debate. I have shot the model you are looking at in 45 with all the Luke skywalker attachments to include suppressor on the gun. That has got to be the hands down heaviest hand gun I have ever had to tote around short of the Desert Eagle 50. By itself , the weapon is average for weight and "feel" in the hand. Add any of the accessories and it gets awkward. Not to mention the holster, unless you have one made to allow all those attachments to be on the gun, your not going to find anything to readily fit it and if you do it will cost you more than the average price range for a good holster.

Just my experience and opinion.

To prevent over penetration and the possibility of injury to family or neighbors, use a short barrelled shotgun with #4 shot. 00 or slugs with give you to much penetration. If you need to, take a course on it's use in confined spaces.B|B|
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

added responsibility of carrying a firearm and the consequences of using it.

I think I'm more worried over the consequence of not using it. I'm a law abiding citizen with no criminal past. I will get a CCW permit for this gun. What do I have to worry about?

But I sure as hell would rather have the gun then find myself a victim to one of the many low-lifes that would love to rob me, my car, or my home. .

Where on Earth do you live and work if this is a major concern of yours? Maybe you should relocate.

I've worked on the South Side of Chicago for 26 years and never experienced any incident calling for the use of a gun. Neither have any of my co-workers.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Where on Earth do you live and work if this is a major concern of yours?

Living in any major city in the US, crime is a issue. I live in two large metropolitan areas in the south, Dallas and Atlanta.

Just an interesting article I ran across. Dated Aug 16 2003.

Late Friday night, an off-duty Cook County sheriff's deputy was sitting in his Range Rover near the intersection of Polk Street and Independence Boulevard. Police said that's when a man with a gun approached the officer and tried to steal his car. But the officer shot the offender in the head, killing him.

See... a low life scum approached an off-duty police officer and tried to victimize him. Was the policeman in a bad area? Was it his fault for being there?

I'm not out looking for trouble in a Saturday night. But I sure as hell am not going to be a victim. You hear stories like this on a daily basis, both that turn out "good" like this one, and ones where the person being victimized is killed. As has been pointed out, the more law abiding armed citizens we have in this country, the better. Make criminals think twice before trying to attack good people.

I hear of way too many car jacking, home invasions, and attacks on the news. Attacking back is the way to go. Look at airline hi-jackings. Not only has the threat of an armed air-marshal increased, but also the fact that if any individual tries to do something stupid, he will get the living shit beat out of him by everyone in his section. We have already seen examples of this. And who knows, but maybe that has prevented another hi-jacking.

I'm not a big gun nut or anything, but aren't silencers highly illegal in the US? Are they just flash suppressors designed to look like silencers, or what?

I just read somewhere in a book that owning a silencer is the equivalent (to the police) of having a fully automatic ak47.

also, I really don't want to get into the "should we have guns or not" debate, but I know I have read that: "Guns kept in houses for home defense or more likely to kill a family member than an intruder"

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have a Glock 27 .40 "Shorty" Its kinda thick, so I need a jacket or vest for this to be hidden well.

And a Lady Smith .357. DA only (Don't laugh, its very small light EASY to conceal. And it is a revolver so it is much easier to use...Not so much an issue for me, but when all hell breaks loose simple is good.)

Those are my mains.

I have a bunch of long guns....
I also have a Beretta .22 for making noise.

I had a Gold Cup S&W .45, but it was very hard to hide, but a NICE pistol.

HK's are great, but you want a gun for both self defense and fun....I would get a carry gun and a plinker.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334