benny

Do Europeans have a death wish?

if you want a serious answer to this.... oh my god I can't believe this is even an issue... have you not heard of all those crappy European directives and regulations that plague our lives about everything, all in the name of keeping us safe. We're not alowed bull bars on pick ups cos they kill people, were not alowed pop up headlights cos they kill people, our banana's must have the right amount of bend in them or they're iligal, our chocolate must have the right amount of fat in it or its iligal, everything, absolutely everything is regulated to keep us safer. America does not have a clue about regulations and safty by comparison to the endless amount of crap the EU beurocratic machines pour out each year. We are innundated with legislation that keeps us safe. Do we have a death wish? by the sounds of it the polititions think we have because they are continuously trying to save us...

I would beg to differ, the UK has very high safety standards.

There are a great number of safety regulations that are enforced all over the place.

To give an example in skydiving, we all have a gear check before getting on the plane, which must be signed off. I could be completely wrong, but i dont think thats something the USPA enforces, where as its mandatory for a BPA regulated DZ.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Plus aren't you UK skydivers not allowed to venture into freeflying until you've done 'X' number of jumps and all that sort of regulation? But I must say though in my short 19-20 months in this sport and here on DZ.COM, some eastern Europeans do have a riskier attitude than what many others may have.

Of course once I'm done soaking corporate America (basically once they smarten up and fire my ass), I am seriously considering spending a year or so in certain parts of Europe practicing the true black art (assuming I'm experienced enough by then). :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Heh, we think the same of Americans. Our version of the USPA is for the skydivers first, dz's second. We got wingload restrictions in place and they're being enforced. To get certified, you need to have a minimum of 40 jumps, 20 pack jobs + 5 exam packs and have passed some exams (both skydive related and what is our equivalent of FAA rules).

Then, you need to get cleared for relative work. You get your RW stamp through (usually) WARP (10 levels) or BBF (20 levels). Without this stamp, you're not allowed to jump with others, except instructors.

And it goes on. And you tell me WE have a death wish?

Perhaps next time you'd do a bit better if you did some research before blabbering on, making huge generalisations based on what takes place in one country alone. B| :P :ph34r:.

Sorry Benny, but you're a Yankee. And we're enemies and all that, coz some Europeans dinnae support the Iraq wars. And us being enemies is also a generalisation, but it's good because it justifies me poking a stick at you B|

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

"I would beg to differ, the UK has very high safety standards. "

Oh, I thought the UK didn't consider themselves to be European? So, what's the truth?

My example in the specifics was to show that isolated incidents have led to this perception. I venture that you could do just about anything on the remote Italian island where I lived (at that time), but probably not in downtown Berlin, Germany. In the U.S. an accident in any section of the country will lead to arrests, lawsuits, or some such.

On the other hand, our opinion is "how dare" someone regulate where and when I can smoke or what.

As for comparing safety methods, that's pretty hard to do. For the hypothetical example, where in one country we may make a regulation for the speed limit, another might regulate the power of the engine, and another might regulate the safety features.

In your skydiving example the emphasis is to ensure a gear check. What could draw us even is something like our cultural emphasis on the S&TA running a safe ship or some other procedure or habitual mechanism. While there isn't a 100% gear check, the mechanism will result in checks and additional measures in specific areas we perceive to be threats.

Edit: For example, on a jump where one person doesn't have an AAD, people may take the safety measure of not being as aggressive. So what is safer, emphasizing skill over aggression or thinking that a majic box will save your ass 100% of the time.

So, I don't think that Europeans have a death wish. I think that the measures people take or dismiss will allow what they perceive to be acceptable risk to draw even.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

'Oh, I thought the UK didn't consider themselves to be European? So, what's the truth?'

I think 'Tony' said 'In Europe, but not run by Europe' but then again he said Iraq had WMDs as well :P
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

'Oh, I thought the UK didn't consider themselves to be European? So, what's the truth?'

I think 'Tony' said 'In Europe, but not run by Europe' but then again he said Iraq had WMDs as well :P

Should have been "In Europe, but America's lapdog";)

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Dont make this thread any worse than it already is. :|

you know where the door is, feel free to use it anytime you see fit.;) Not saying the UK as a whole, your citizens have actually shown more concern for world issues and whether or not their leaders are lying about them than Americans ever would. Tony Blair however, come on, he did whatever Clinton wanted and now he's doing the same for Georgie. But I digress.

Are you guys European or what? I always thought so but hey, I guess you're not technically on the continent.

Should have been "In Europe, but America's lapdog";)

Kind of like Tennessee is to the States.:):D

HAh! I wish we'd follow the trend of some other states... No, we're quite content to go on being 49th in education (we got ya Alabama!) and just about everything else.

Europeans certainly do have a death wish....the death of everyone else but them. Just like the Iraqis, the Iranians, the Afghaistans or anyone from that insane neck of the world.

Bill Cole

:o Can you expand on this please? >:(
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

And this is your profile? Unfortunately, I have to point out again, those that are most vocal about their religion are usually FREAKS that do not represent their religion in any light that could be percieved as positive in the least.

Chuteless's profile interests....

my four grandchildren (especially the one with down syndrome) , and the WORD of GOD, and serving Jesus Christ. (IN REVERSE ORDER AS SHOWN ABOVE ) Thou halt not have fast cars,sports, or other worldly things as your god (Exodus 20:3)

The religious mans last statement:

Europeans certainly do have a death wish....the death of everyone else but them. Just like the Iraqis, the Iranians, the Afghaistans or anyone from that insane neck of the world.

Bill Cole

I have made the earth and created man upon it. I have stretched out the heavens and all their host have I commanded ( Isaiah 45:12)

Dont make this thread any worse than it already is. :|

you know where the door is, feel free to use it anytime you see fit.;) Not saying the UK as a whole, your citizens have actually shown more concern for world issues and whether or not their leaders are lying about them than Americans ever would. Tony Blair however, come on, he did whatever Clinton wanted and now he's doing the same for Georgie. But I digress.

Are you guys European or what? I always thought so but hey, I guess you're not technically on the continent.

Neither is Hawaii. Liken us to Hawaii - i.e. we are part of the continent, but probably would prefer not to be labelled as such.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts