grue

Your longest "out" landing?

i hear you wendy! you get the best off landings doing crw.:)
one of my best was the other year at dollar daze, the winds really died down so we got out way too early. we were right over the high school when we broke down our diamond - the coach could hear our starburst call!:)
stacy - one thing you need to remember about when landing with livestock...make a bunch of noise! if you just land next to a cow, it will freak. but if you start whooping and hollering around 100 feet then it will look up and run away from you.

*** disclaimer: at least this is what i have heard :)
i don't think of landing out as a bad thing, but as an OPPORTUNITY to hitchhike, meet some locals, promote tandem jumps, and drink free lemonade if anyone is offering...after all, you just gave them a free demo!

i just remember to ALWAYS look at the ground winds before going up, you never know if you'll be near a wind sock or not.

b

i don't think of landing out as a bad thing, but as an OPPORTUNITY

Your cup is always half full, isn't it?

Having fun reading this thread. Happily, I can't add to the stories. YET!B|

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I know of a guy who jumps at a dropzone in Virginia who hopped and popped on his very first jump. Depending on who you ask he landed anywhere between 9 and 13 miles away from the DZ on an Ostrich farm. He did stick around after that fateful jump, and is now an AFF Instructor...An AFF instructor named after a flightless bird...hmmmmm
---you should seriously consider removing yourself from the gene pool---

My only out landing was around jump 35-40. We did a disorganized flock out of the otter, 8 of us tracking both downwind, AND downwind of the dropzone. No one was paying attention. One person made it back, barely. The rest of us had to find places to land up in NW washington wilderness where if it isn't meant to be a landing zone, you'll have a hard time landing there. I landed in a clearing of a small tree farm, by far my most favorite landing yet

I must have a couple of hundred out landings..

About 750 CRW dives count for a bunch, but in the late 80's we had an annual C-130 boogie in Mmabatho. (Now Mafikeng, again.. Don't you love African name changes? :D)

The kite used to run in down the main road, and take about 20 miles to empty a C-130 of solos, 2 ways, 3 ways etc. Buses would start from 20 miles out on each side and collect everyone who had the presence of mind to head for the road. Canopies back then were mostly 220 sq ft 7 cells which were very well suited to out landings or impromptu demo's into every part of the town.

SOP was head for the road and pack while waiting for the bus. Smart jumpers carried water, and the really smart ones carried their passports, as the border to Botswana was only 12 miles away.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

i landed in someones garden in the czech republic, was about 10 feet away from swooping it right into their open barn!

the out i had planned turned out to be criss crossed by power lines, so i had to abort and follow a road that ended at the barn. the kids playing in the garden just looked at me funny, till i waved, and they waved back, then their dad gave me a lift in his van, funny as hell!
www.ewancowie.com
www.facebook.com/ewancowiephotography

OK... so I've written a long one...

I was doing a number of nominated accuracy landings in order to get my UK demo rating (which I later got, as did all the people in the story). Myself and a number of friends were using a Cessna 206 and were the only people in the plane. We'd planned to put us out as a stick across the middle of the DZ with as little horizontal separation as possible as we were all shooting for the accuracy pad.

We all get in the plane and many jokes are had on the way up to 3000ft. The pilot called out that he was running in and my buddy who was jump mastering opens the door and lies on the floor to spot. I'm second out so I'm wedged behind another buddy... it's cramped as there are 5 of us in the plane.

Several minutes had passed when my friend spotting calls the guy who's first out to come over. I can't hear much over the noise of the prop, the open door and wind noise but he says something about the DZ and points out of the door. First out guy looks out the door as well and they have a short exchange which I can't hear.

The jump master then turns to look out of a window on the other side of the plane and the first guy in the stick jumps.

I'm watching him deploy as I move forward mindful of the rest of the stick behind me waiting to get out. I see the jump master wave me towards the door as if hurrying me up to jump next. I think "alright, alright; I’m going already" and look out and focus on my friend who’s now deploying so as to ensure we have adequate separation. Then I jump.

After deployment I note no one else gets out. I look around and can't see the DZ... in fact I can't see any landmarks I recognise. I see a large wood... but that can't be right as that would mean I'm miles away from the DZ.

That's when I realise what has just happened... although I can't quite figure out how just yet.

I follow my buddy down who was first out and land next to him in a farm yard. The guys buy the buildings have a quick joke and tell us not to worry – they've even had gliders land in the field before. We head out onto the road and start to wander back in towards the DZ before we're picked up by a van from the DZ within about 10 minutes.

Post jump de-brief. It turns out that the pilot called that he was running in about 10 minutes before they even saw the DZ. This in itself was odd and they continued to "run in" for another couple of miles before they even saw the DZ.

The jump master, confused by the fact they'd been told they were running in 5 minutes ago and yet he still couldn't see the DZ, called over the first guy from the stick for assistance. He looks out and over the wind noise thinks he hears the JM say "there's the DZ" when in fact he said "where's the DZ?" The pointing was more of a request for him to look rather than a pointing to the DZ as the first man out took it to be.

First man takes a look out and sees what he thought was the field next to the DZ and hops out believing we were starting the spot a little short (which if true wouldn’t have been much of an issue at all and would have been only 1 or 2 hundred yards shorter than the other jumps we'd done that day.

The JM who had his back turned to the first man momentarily senses someone jumped out and turns round in surprise. He held his hands out, palms facing us in an expression of surprise. As I was looking out of the door I only see the one arm... which in my peripheral vision looks exactly like it would if he was offering me the door in an attempt to hurry me up.

When I looked out I wasn’t focusing on the ground... having trusted the spot to two good friends (who I'd just seen have a conversation about it and both look out), but focused instead on my deploying friend, ensuring appropriate separation and was wary of hanging round too long and thus screw the rest of the guys in the stick.

The JM didn't stop me because he figured the first man out must have been able to see the DZ where he couldn't. No one else went after me because the pilot started to throw a fit when people were getting out the aircraft miles from the DZ.

Lessons to learn? Trust no one. Remember no one can hear shit over wind noise, engine and helmets. ALWAYS look before you leap no matter what secondary evidence you think you ought to be able to rely on... your eyes are the only one's that you can use to control your life.

First man out got grounded for 2 days for going when he couldn’t see the DZ and I got grounded for 1 day for following him. Both groundings were shortly rescinded when everyone found out exactly what had happened and instead just took the piss a lot.

Ian Marshal, latterly our demo leader, tells us we're a bunch of pricks.

BWAHAHAHA! 3 miles out because of a bad spot from the Cessna...a 4-way! How do ya' screw that up? BUT....what was great about this jump was landing in an old friend's back yard whom I hadn't seen in nearly 20 years! Reunions happen at the most unexpected times.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

A friend of mine mentioned how on his first solo jump, he ended up hucking it about 2 miles back to the DZ due to some sudden winds, anyone have any similar or funny stories?

I landed about a 1/4 mile from the LZ in a swamp in 2.5 feet of stinky water and muck. the guy in front of me landed about 50 feet ahead of me in 12 foot high brush.

Moral of Story:

Don't get too far downwind and swamp is always better than barbed wire fence :S

Yes, I bought beer.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

Well, I was way, WAAAAY out last year from the balloon in Rantoul, but I personally don't think those count (It's damn near impossible to land on DZ from a balloon, much less the second hop like i was one.)

Back in December '03 I really misjudged my abilities in my Bird-Man suit. I exited a few miles out, flew back towrds the dz, had a hard pull and ended up with a very ground hungry 126 reserve at about 1500 feet. Needless to say, I didn't make it back, and was somewhere between 1 and 2 miles out. Biggest mistake was taking it out far enough to make it back from full altitude, and not realizing I wouldn't cover the same distance from 9,100.... B|
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I hold the record in Perris for the longest wingsuit track....away from the dropzone. :S:D

Hey it was my first time! :$

I landed on the other side of the 215 and had to walk through several fields and then scurry under the freeway before I was picked up by the guy in the truck.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

The worst I've seen was dz.commer "Homer" who landed about 2 or 3 miles from the dz (in a different county). I know, that's not far, as shown in attachment notthatfar.jpg. But do ya notice anything missing? How about a bridge! B| Now see thatfar.jpg. That's what going to fetch him entailed. I'd guess 20ish miles each way.

The worst part? He's landed over there twice. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

First jump at a new dz, first load on their new King Air... they hadn't set the GPS so someone local had to spot since my 2-way was first out. The dumbass put us WAY out and we landed in ANOTHER CITY!!! We were the closest group and we landed 20 miles away. Lucky for us someone was on their way to the dz and knew we werent' supposed to be landing over there. She waited for us and took us to the dz.

Who was she?? The dumbass' wife!! :D

AFF level 1 jump...calling my number....lookin at somebody else....last words I heard were 'remember your training, find an alternative place to land, I can't help you anymore'.

Oh well, got that out of the way early on.

Beautiful Landings!

Streaker
Have a yippee ki ya day!

Jump #14--Monkey see, monkey do. Nobody could tell where we were to spot b/c of cloud cover. A couple people voiced that we shouldn't jump, but everyone else did...
I landed in a tree about 1/2 mile from the DZ & fell though to the ground into some mud. Everything checked out OK, so I jumped on the next load later that afternoon.

I'm most proud of my landing ON the DZ peas when no-one else on the casa load made it. It was during a boogie, Jump #25 ish. I still had my first canopy that was HUGE for me. No-one made it w/in a mile of the DZ and I landed in the peas. My big fat canopy floated me all the way back:P. It was hilarious to see the beginner land softly in the peas and not see any other parachutes for a mile or so;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Wow, that's a long spot.

The furthest offzone landing was under a Manta 288 and I landed in some farm about two or three kilometers away. It was a bad spot and I believe the wind really picked up after I went up. I realized I wasn't going back, because the wind was blowing me backwards! So I aimed for farmland and landed standup running backwards. Got my jumpsuit muddy trying to walk through a gate. Fortunately the offzone pickup van found me surprisingly quickly :D

Not as interesting as many here, but it was my first off-zone landing too (During one of my student jumps).

3-4 miles or so. I was to be next-to-last out late-diver of the Casa during a boogie. One of those "everybody bombs-out" high 20-something way single-pass blot attempts or something like that a few years back.

As I understand it, just as we ALL bombed out, the pilot turned around to ask if all the CReW jumpers were yet away? ...One remaining solo jumper was left who promptly responded: Huh? ...There was NO CReW on this load! :S

So the solo dude, got his OWN pass OVER the DZ, and before exiting was told to advise manifest immediately upon landing that they were gonna have a WHOLE PLANE-LOAD out anywhere from 4.5-5.0 miles! :o
coitus non circum - Moab Stone