NoRules

What American accent do you have?

"Inland North"

"You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop.""

that's me (including the 'pop') :)
Except everyone asks if i'm from Ohio :S bizarre...

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

:D:D:D

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all. You could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Not bad for a German! :)
max

I grew up in Georgia.. Its Coke!! All of it.

Typical conversation..
Person 1. Get me a Coke??
Person 2. Sure.. What kind??
Person 1. Umm. Sprite.
Person 2. Ok.. Here you go.

I love to watch the Yankees try to figure that one out.:D:D

:S:D:D

Yes, I've read about this plenty but never witnessed this nonesense in practice. This is the most retarded thing ever. You southerners need to be re-edgumucated or something.

I don't have an accent, but I already knew this. I'm from Kansas. Where news casters go to work on their "non-regional diction".

and yes, the quiz guessed I was from "the midlands" so even though it didn't mention KS, I'll say it was right.

what they didn't ask though is whether or not you call it pop, soda, soda water, or coke (even if it's not coke (tm))
--
Rob

I tend to modulate to match the person I'm talking to - in dialect, cadence, even mannerisms sometimes.

It's one of those unconscious things until someone points it out. I think it's because I'm relating to them. Or maybe I'm weird.

Not weird; you're adjusting to suit your audience.:)
I sometimes do so, as well.

I know Billy has several Spanish-only speaking employees that work for him. His employees over time have learned to understand various things he says in English, but he always speaks to them in English with a Spanish accent; particularly if it's over the phone.

I asked him once, having heard his phone conversation, why he did that: Was it on purpose or was he picking up on his employee's accent during conversation. He said he does so on purpose b/c his employees tell him they actually understand him better when he says the English word in a Spanish accent.

I think it's cool.B| Makes sense.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

it tells me I'm from "the inland north" but um I'm calling bs cause I have never in my life had someone call declare I was from Chicago or Wisconsin... :S

that and I've lived too many different places I call carbonated beverages by, Coke, Soda, Cola, or more often then not just call them by the actual item: i.e. give me a mountain dew... :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Southern Florida is The North. (All them damn Snowbirds:P:D Might as well be in New Jersey!!:S:D)

Bawahahahahaha! Andy_Copland swears I sound like Im from New York (because he's heard the accent on TV) LOL! I dont hear it at all! :D

Edit: Rocky can tell you that I have NO accent.
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

OK, it guessed me from the midlands and I did grow up in Iowa so at least for me it pegged me pretty close. Now I did have to do it four times before it got me right because it kept thinking I was a southern boy. :)
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

It said I had a Midland or no accent.I think thats pretty off seeing as how every one of my friends from other states love picking on me about my TX accent.Although its not as "Southern" as the thick Southern accents from say Georgia or South Carolina and Louisana has its own mix of southern/cajun accent going.But its still noticable enough to get razzed about it.So,I guess I dont have a 'southern' accent..I have a Texas accent.:P

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Philadelphia
The Inland North

and yet I'm an Aussie and sound NOTHING like a NYer:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?