skymama

What do women do to appear unapproachable?

The ladies are having a discussion in this thread. One of the guys said that some women appear to be unapproachable and there seems to be some confusion about that. So, I'm asking for all of the ladies what we might be doing to make it so you won't strike up a conversation with us.

Of course, you don't need to mention having a guy or children by our sides, that's a given. :P It's a serious question!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Appear self involved/unaware of whats going on around you,no smile,no eye contact.

I think most of the time they're really not self-involved but just shy.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It's not like you can just randomly walk up to a woman and start talking to her. Do some people do that?

Yes, you should try it sometime. We're really not that scary. ;)

I don't really understand what "approachable" means.
It's not like you can just randomly walk up to a woman and start talking to her. Do some people do that?

Why not? I just randomly walked up and started talking to you, what's the difference? :P

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I have no idea what these women do, but I wish I did.

I am flypaper for freaks. :|

:D:D (Maybe it has to do with my own levels of radiating insanity... Nah, can't be...)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Sent to me via pm:

Women are so hard to figure out. One minute they want attention from everyone and the next minute, men are evil creatures that only want one thing. Past rejections, trying to be respectful etc are some reasons.

Here's an example: A woman wears a low cut shirt or what ever to attract the guys then gets all upset that guys are hitting on her.

Another example: A woman complains that she gets hit on by every guy but then she wishes the only cute guy in the room would come up to her and test his verbal skills.

I wish women would go after what they want as much as we have to do that.

...arms crossed across her chest...

Not commenting on the rest because I agree there, but speaking to the arms crossed thing...I do it - not 'cause I'm not approachable or don't want to be talked to - but because I'm frickin' freezing most of the time. :$ So...if you see me doing that, make the assumption that I'm cold. :$:D:$
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Yes, you should try it sometime. We're really not that scary.

I've found that if you don't come across as creepy or a jerk - 99% of Women will be happy to have you come over and just start talking. You don't even need a stupid ice-breaker or pickup line! "Hi!" works fine for me.
=========Shaun ==========

Appear self involved/unaware of whats going on around you,no smile,no eye contact.

I think most of the time they're really not self-involved but just shy.

Thank-you thank you thank-you

I'd rather chew my foot off than to approach someone I don't know if its on a make friends basis. I feel like I'm like a lost puppy looking for someone to take me in. So most of the time, I just keep to myself.

Well put.

If you are one of the lucky few to be "that Cute Guy" then of course it is always ok to approach..

Unfortunately, Women have different definitions of "that Cute Guy" and we have no idea if we qualify or not.

If we take that chance and don’t qualify, then we categorized into "That Creepy Guy" category.

It is a two way street ladies, You have to let us know it is OK to talk to you (And we can really dense sometimes, Things you thing should be completely obvious to us don’t even show up at all)

That is why I invented the "kiss Me Bat". It is a Small 18" wooden bat with the words "Kiss Me" on it. It is for women to carry around to help them Notify a Guy it is OK.. Just smack them upside the head with the bat to make sure you have their attention and then show them what it says..
If they run away screaming or pass out from the blow.. They are either not interested or they were too much of a wimp to be wasting kisses on anyway. Otherwise, It is pretty effective.:D
:P

Not commenting on the rest because I agree there, but speaking to the arms crossed thing...I do it - not 'cause I'm not approachable or don't want to be talked to - but because I'm frickin' freezing most of the time. :$ So...if you see me doing that, make the assumption that I'm cold. :$:D:$

Thank you also, my hubby is always getting on to me for having my arms crossed, I've told him time and time again its because I'm freezing.... he just doesnt get it...:S

Thank you also, my hubby is always getting on to me for having my arms crossed, I've told him time and time again its because I'm freezing.... he just doesnt get it...:S

Well ladies here a little tip for you both
DRESS WEATHER APPROPRIATE
Cora you really dont want to be crossing you arms, you are blocking an amazing view;):$. But on a plus side if you are covering your boobs you are not covering your cute Tush:$:$:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If women want to be approached, then its time that they bellied up to the bar and did some approaching.

I've heard from many women that don't approach men because they are afraid of being rebuffed, so they expect men to do the approaching. Well I've done the approaching and been rebuffed enough times that unless all the verbal and non-verbal signs are there, I expect to get rebuffed and don't approach.

Now I am sure this is not everyone's experience, but its mine.

So if you want to be approached either do the approaching or work on your verb and non-verbal communication so that you appear approachable.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I've found that if you don't come across as creepy or a jerk - 99% of Women will be happy to have you come over and just start talking. You don't even need a stupid ice-breaker or pickup line! "Hi!" works fine for me.

Does this change with age? When I was in college and tried to start up conversations with girls, about 90% of them were very cold to me. I eventually gave up. It still seems weird to just strike up a conversation with a random person.

This is a pretty subjective idea. I mean, to a guy with self-confidence, very few women are "unapproachable". However, lots of women are very poor at allowing a guy opportunities to approach. Like the 3 woman circle where they never shut up or turn away from each other allowing someone an opportunity to speak with them. Also, most guys will not approach a girl that doesn't at least make eye contact or smile at him.

Now I would ask, is it that she doesn't get serious interest or doesn't ever get laid? Because if she gets laid, then meeting men isn't the problem. She just needs to do it off the DZ. That being said, every chick that visits our DZ get loads of attention no matter what they look like. Maybe she just needs to come to SDA.;)

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com