skymama

What do women do to appear unapproachable?

Something I see quite often is when a senior, respected skydiver on the DZ becomes the woman's friend. They are together all the time. He does little things, like makes tea, moves garden furniture etc. He hovers, and is polite and cordial, but never makes a move, never risks rejection.

This puts a kinda "force sheild" around the woman that other lesser mortals are afraid to breach. It's almost territorial in nature, and not nice if it's protracted in any way. No matter how often the woman says they are "just good friends" no one really makes a move for fear of breaking something that's not there but seems to be.

That's sad.

If you like someone, tell them. If they don't like you the same way, back off and let them find someone they do like the same way.

So, in answer you the question, sometimes the woman does nothing to appear unavailable. Sometimes someone else does it for them.

t

I have to agree with that one. (not that anyone made me tea or moved furniture... but the "implied" relationship thing)

Few years back, I was up at Cross Keys. Staying with a good friend that had an RV on the dropzone. Nothing going on between him and I (not that... well... we'll just leave it as "nothing going on")

I also had a friend come down from NYC for a few nights. She did a tandem or two and we spent some time hanging out on the dz. She was so amused that so many guys were hitting on her and none on me (her and I have always been a bit competitive....). But honestly, I didn't care and just let her have all that attention. I was curious as to why though and thought it was just cuz they were respecting me as "the jumper" and she was the "easy mark" tandem. Found out later though that it was probably more a territorial thing - the other guys didn't want to move in on someone that they assumed was "with" the other guy.

It wasn't that I was "unapproachable" - they just were flirting with her. (but NOT cuz she was smarter or prettier or a GENERAL surgeon or anything.... not that I'm being competitive right now....) B|

This has been fun reading but I figure I'll jump in and throw my 5 cents in (inflation). Having been married and divorced twice (why...lets not go there) I was told by several women friends when I was suffering a serious dating shortage that if you have a look like your desparate to date, women shut you down before you get past "hello". So maybe it is not that women appear unapproachable, but some men just look like they should not approach.

When I am at the DZ I talk to everyone with no thought of hitting on anyone, I save that for after the days jumps and we are sitting around having a few adult beverages.

Of course if a woman wants to approach me I'm all over that. ;)
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I find that most women, even in a close environment of the DZ, don't even acknowledge my existance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...do you have any idea as to why that might be? Do you walk with confidence, are you friendly, do you approach them?

It's probably because I look like I belong on AMW.

lol...yeah, that doesn't really make a guy a chick-magnet. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

One of the guys said that some women appear to be unapproachable and there seems to be some confusion about that.

I think this is just preferential. This would all depend on a guy's specific pet peeve.

I'm not saying that I'm a Don Juan but I can approach any woman. I can strike a conversation with any woman that I meet. If we have good conversation and if I'm getting good repoire with them then I have succeeded, if not I move on.

I guess you could say most guys would think if a woman doesn't give eye contact or smile back at them when men smile at them that would probably make them unapproachable. I guess it's all about the smile! :)

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol...yeah, that doesn't really make a guy a chick-magnet.

So you have to actually have spent time in prison for the women to go for you?;)

lol...yeah, that doesn't really make a guy a chick-magnet.

We could have met Sat. but the queen would allow no one to touch her sceptre or introduce themselves.;)

We could have met Sat. but the queen would allow no one to touch her sceptre or introduce themselves.

You were there? You should have said something!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You looked away when I made eye contact.

See, I'm really just a shy girl. :$

MUTHA ###### PLEASE!!!:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun