misaltas

The Engagement Ring Poll

Depends on you and depends on her.

She might be "worth" the sun and moon.... but if money is tight or if she a more practical type or if the ring that you REALLY think is special is only $500.... don't let a silly "rule" dictate what you have to buy her as a representation of your love and commitment. B|

I'm with none of the above. My husband spent about $600 on my ring, and it is absolutely perfect for me. White gold, small emerald, 1 small diamond on each side of the emerald. Small and simple, unobtrusive, and has green in it. It's not about the money at all. Honestly, I'd have been pissed, and probably would have said 'no' if he spent some ludicrous amount of money on it.

Actually he proposed with a key ring since the ring was on order and not here yet. I wore it until my finger rusted. Actually got the 'engagement' ring after we were married.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

HEY!

What's the rule these days? I'm hearing a lot of different answers and figured I'd make a poll.

Thanks all.

It depends on whether you're selling diamonds, need something to affirm your status to the local chapter of the Mrs society, or fail to buy into brilliant advertising schemes.

We skipped the traditional diamond ring with the savings coming in handy for a nice honey moon and smaller mortgage.

How about none of the above? :S

Buy something nice and classy that the woman would like that doesn't cost a fortune. She may not be into diamonds and might prefer the diamonds to be an accent instead of the focus or not even on the ring.

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Years ago the marketing was "2 weeks pay." Now it's 2 months? I don't need the DeBeers (sp) or Madison Avenue to define true love and commitment for me. I already know what it is. Face it, they just want your dough. :S

I agree! It's just a "thing". A simple wedding band is much classier and says the exact same thing as an expensive diamond. "Your married!"

HEY!

What's the rule these days? I'm hearing a lot of different answers and figured I'd make a poll.

Thanks all.

I just found two websites on this subject:

1. A Canadian website that says 'two months'.

2. An American website that says 'three months'.

Since we all know Canadians are a little cheap (that's why I don't live there anymore), I'm going to go with 'three months'.

Hey, either she's worth it or she's not. If she's worth it, spending three months is nothing--effortless. And if she's not worth it, why waste a dime on her?
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Years ago the marketing was "2 weeks pay." Now it's 2 months? I don't need the DeBeers (sp) or Madison Avenue to define true love and commitment for me. I already know what it is. Face it, they just want your dough. :S

I agree! It's just a "thing". A simple wedding band is much classier and says the exact same thing as an expensive diamond. "Your married!"

Of course you agree! You're stuck with his cheap ass! ;)

The x-month salary thing is such a great marketing scheme! What's sad is that so many have gone for it...
Remster

More expensive than my best friend's.

Larger than my sister's.

Really really sparkly.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm not very good at this shallow girlie thing. :|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hey, either she's worth it or she's not. If she's worth it, spending three months is nothing--effortless. And if she's not worth it, why waste a dime on her?

Exactly what relationship is there between the value of a person, and the price of a non-functional trinket??? If I was in his place and she demanded I spend real money on such useless junk, that would be a wakeup call that she has no common sense with respect to financial matters. Or to put it another way:

"DANGER, DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! HIGH-MAINTENANCE BIMBO!!!"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Spend whatever you and her feel is right for the both of you. If you have the money to buy her a big ring, and she wants it, I don't see anything wrong with buying an expensive ring. If you don't have the money and she doesn't care, buy something more conservative.

There is no "rule", except the one you guys have together.