SSHusky

an $8,000 mistake... oops!

So I noticed a rather large paycheck deposited in my bank (about $6,000 for 2 weeks worth of work). I noticed that after further investigation that my bimonthly paycheck before taxes was $885.10 and that this new paycheck before taxes was $8,851.00.... oops... someone missed a decimal point.... so anyways I have been told that at anytime my employer can ask for that money back and I have to pay it back. Is there any legal time lines to this? Like if they don't notice the mistake in 3 months its mine? What should I do?
I could really use the money... this was my last paycheck and I am currently unemployed living off of a friend... which I hate mooching.

Bank Error in Your Favor?

For taxes it's 3 years but I don't know about mistakes like this. For the foreseeable future you should leave the amount in your bank. You were erronously overpaid and they can quote your contractual agreement for your payscale to show that the money is not yours. Don't be surprised if you see a -$7965.9 show up on your account.

In the meantime, you can collect interest on it, but that's it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Call 'em up, tell them about the mistake. It'll come back and bite you in the ass one way or another - karma's a bitch that way. It's not your money.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

OK serious answer now. You really don't want to fuck with the University if you are an academic or a grad student. I would leave the money alone for 1 month. If it is still there I would remove it and put it in a 30 day term deposit (better interest). Renew the deposit every 30 days. If they come looking for it tell them you will give it back on 30. They may get snarky about that but in the end they will shrug their shoulders and take the money when they get it; they are bureaucrats after all. In the mean time you get the interest. The odds are sooner or later you will be asked for the money, but you never know.

Don't let their mistake tempt you and get you in trouble. Don't touch the money. Call them ASAP and tell them what happened. You know it's not yours. If you try to keep the money it will come back and bite you in the ass.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's the right thing to do.

[:/]

Edited to add: One other thing. You have just admitted in a public forum that you know it was a mistake and you stated the exact amount of the mistake. You have just given them the rope to hang you with.

Think about it.

Its not a bank error. Its an error on ASU, my employer. They can't take it out of my bank... and by the way after taxes it was only $6,000, damn taxes took almost 3 grand!

They have 100% legal right to take that money back.
However, you better make sure they correct have the correct info on your W-2 other wise you may end up owing a lot of money in taxes due to THEIR fuck up.

Be sure you keep records of everything so you can prove the income was a mistake.
My photos

My Videos

If you don't give it back, you may very well end up charged with theft.
Especially if they ever get wind of you posting it here.
Also if you keep it for a period of time, which you have no right to do, they may demand and recieve interest on the amount, which you are also not entitled to.
Give it back and they will give you a referance as an honest guy.
Try to keep it and your mail may be forwarded to jail.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Its not a bank error. Its an error on ASU, my employer. They can't take it out of my bank... and by the way after taxes it was only $6,000, damn taxes took almost 3 grand!

If your employer stuck it in your account, they can take it out. I was overpaid about a grand last year for an employer error thing. They reversed the deposit and paid me the correct amount. I didn't want to be held liable for any further action if I didn't say anything. Yes, they fucked up, but they'll fuck you if you don't say anything. Karma's a bitch.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Take it, change your name, move to somewhere nice and tropical and never speak of this again. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Yeah, because $8000 goes a LONG way these days. B|

It always interests me how the dynamic of dz.com goes... half the people are lighthearted and having fun and the other half are immediately throwing stones...

fwiw: This mistake was discovered over the weekend (it would have probably gone unnoticed much longer if she hadn't have gone to her bank on Friday...) to boot she is in the process of correcting the mistake...

but entertaining the thought of keeping it is well... entertaining... ;)

take a deep breath y'all and think about what your saying about another before you pass judgment based on a post in here...

never mind the fact that it bothers her that she is living off of a friend and yet y'all think she is seriously going to consider stealing? :| Right...

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I noticed that after further investigation that my bimonthly paycheck before taxes was $885.10 and that this new paycheck before taxes was $8,851.00.... oops... someone missed a decimal point....

"Ok! Ok! I must have, I must have put a decimal point in the wrong place
or something. Shit. I always do that. I always mess up some mundane
detail." - Michael Bolton

never mind the fact that it bothers her that she is living off of a friend and yet y'all think she is seriously going to consider stealing? :| Right...

Yeah, she never explained HOW she's living off of the friend. Considering how this thread shows her values I can only guess what sort of moral trespasses she endures to make money!