billvon

PD announces student Katana

ONS News
May 12 (Deland, FL) - Performance Designs International announced today the availability of their student Katana canopies. These long-awaited canopies are expected to sell well, and the company is gearing up their production lines to handle the expected demand.

"Skydivers everywhere appreciate the sweet openings, wide control range, steep dive, light front riser pressure and powerful flare they can get with the Katana," said Jack Florey, public relations director for PD. "These new sizes allow all skydivers to experience the PD difference."

Truman Sparks, head instructor at Pecos Skydiving, agreed. "There's been a long prejudice in skydiving against newer jumpers," Sparks explained. "There are always people saying students can't do this or they can't do that. Originally, no one thought students could freefall on their first jumps until Ken Coleman introduced AFF. Now they'll be able to fly high performance canopies as well."

PD introduced the 150 and 170 Katana sizes last year after months of requests from jumpers for the larger sizes. The new student sizes - from 190 to 300 square feet - will be available starting Monday.

"Sure, there will be challenges," said Florey. "We expect students to need radios a bit longer than the usual 4 to 5 jumps, at least until they perfect their 270's."

The student sizes will start at $3400, and will include a waiver for students to sign stating they are not suitable for student use. According to industry experts this is purely a formality.

I'm waiting for the licensed version to the company formally known as RWS in a 350sq ft version for the Sigma tandem system.:D

While we're at it, I've been trying to find someone to sew dive loops on my reserve risers. I just can't hold my reserve past 180 to final without having any dive loops.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Truman Sparks, head instructor at Pecos Skydiving

Another wash day shot to shit.......

[rainman]hell, I think he said 'hell', yeah, 'hell', that's what she said...;)[/rainman]

:P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I think this still shows the discrimination students face everyday in this industry.

Why cant PD dedicate their ample design resources to scale up the proven design of the Velocity to student sizes? Doing this for Katanas only shows they want to keep the more rigid crossbraced canopies out of students hands.

Shamefull really.
Remster

I bet you this would sell like hot cakes to some of those meatheads who post in general skydiving discussions about how they are so cool for jumping a canopy at 1.X with 50 jumps!!! :D

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Hey why do you want to put down the elite new skydivers who have mad skills and can handle any kind of canopy right after AFF.

They obviously are the fast learners who should not be hampered by archaic canopy designs and outdated ideas of saftey.

I KNEW I should have been jumping a fully elliptical canopy 40 jumps ago, what was I thinking?!?!

I've got a velo on the way now. I hear 21 cell canopies pack big so it shouldn't be a problem to put a velo 79 in my container I've had a sabre 150 in.

This is going to be great. I'll finally be able to showcase my Skillz for all the ladies at the dropzone. Only 28 more jumps to go and I will be an official Skydiving BADA$$!

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support. *bows*
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I really wish I had dive loops on my reserve risers.:|

I would also like a collapsable slider, it's very anoying to keep grabbing for the strings to stop that racket when they aren't there.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I've been waiting to hear the official word on the release of the student Katana - I had my recurrency training a couple of weeks ago, and the DZO was passing out order forms.

After my 10 second delay, it's straight to Atmonauti training flights, followed by 2 static line wingsuit jumps. ;)

Noobs rule!

T.I.N.S.

While we're at it, I've been trying to find someone to sew dive loops on my reserve risers. I just can't hold my reserve past 180 to final without having any dive loops.

And I want my white center & end cell A lines replaced with red ones. I can't even get a CRW rigger to do it for me.

CSA #699 Muff #3804