NelKel

The Pilot canopy and bad/hard openings

Has anyone ever experienced a bad/ hard or unusual opening on Aerodyne Pilot, Thank you

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

My best friend had just under 300 jumps on his and did not have 1 hard opening. He had 1 line twist (packing).

Funny thing, he just bought a smaller Rage and on the 2nd jump had to cut it away because it twisted up and put him on his back....probably packing again - this time on a brand-new canopy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I wish I could say no. 270 jumps and two hard openings.

1st hard opening... 1st jump ever on the canopy, 1st pack job on that canopy (meaning I did it with limited experience, not a pro who is used to brand new fabric). I bet it was my fault 100% in the packing as the fabric was explosive to say the least while trying to get it in the bag. It was a symmetric hard opening... I had black and blue bruises where my harness leg straps were for a month. I had a rigger inspect every part of the rig for damage... Ouch.

2nd hard opening.... Saturday (two days ago). One side of the canopy inflated early for some reason - insta-left-canopy. My left riser went ka-boom. I have pulled muscles all over my left side, and my neck muscles are sore. I was dazed for about 10 seconds after the opening as my head was slamed down to the right.

Perhaps the fact the D-bag came out of the container twice between jumps (for maintenance of the risers) or just random luck on how the fabric met the air... I don't know... But ouch... The riser slap left a crack on my pro-track and helmet... Had a few twists that I flew out of without kicking because my body was still swinging around on its own....>:(

But, other than those openings - the rest have been very trustworthy and nice... Some line twists, but never causing a chop...

Approx 800 jumps on a Pilot 140; first 50 or so were mine and the rest were Amy's. No hard openings. A few off-heading.

Approx 100 jumps on a Pilot 117 (me) - no hard openings.

Approx 50 jumps on a Pilot 150; no hard openings. But that's not really valid because it's my wingsuit canopy, and they're all soft. I'll be using this one at World Team this year.

Most of my jumps have been on pilots. a couple of wierd openings (noticeably asymmetric inflation and dives on opening) caused by packing - but most of them very smooth, can take a while to full deployment. But certainly never a hard opening.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.