normiss

Mid-air collision - one dead.

I have to agree...I saw some videos from there and they were flying left hand AND right hand patterns, some "stunts" eerily similar to a Mr. Bill with someone on top, flying around and over each other,
Swooping right in front of the wuffos...
It was utter chaos.
I wouldn't jump there if they paid me to.

As a close friend of Sharky and the other jumper involved, they are both free spirited individuals and I can tell you that more regulation and rules would never have been the way Sharky would want this to end, his life taken is tragic and I struggle to come to terms with his loss.

If you were such a close friend you would have known that Sharky was female! >:(

My Gawd I can't STAND how everyone suddenly comes out of the woodwork to step forward and be her 'best friend' when she's passed away. Poor girl! If you knew her like those of us that REALLY cared you'd know that Sharky was petitioning to become a board member of the USFA and was well on her way to making 'flying fish' a recognized discipline at nationals.

...and if I have to answer one more media inquiry about what she was 'really like' I'm just going to melt down...

Blue skies and following seas, Sharky. Rest easy old girl. I'll raise a glass of the finest Johnny Tail Walker to you tonight.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Is there any word on the condition/extent of the injuries of the other dolphin? Are they able to shed some light on exactly what went wrong?

Blue Skies Sharky:(:(:(

Yes, I have some information, but I don't think I should post because it's really not my place.

I wished you all would STOP speculating. You have no clue what really happened. We need to wait for the official report...B|

Jon

You are right.

It is NOT your place!! We will speculate all we want here. People learn from speculation. If you are too emotionally involved then you should NOT read this thread.

Fact: Sharkey was killed by that other Swooping Dolphin. People need to wake up or the FDA will start getting more involved. Yet another mid-Air collision that would have been avoided if we could just keep the hotshots showoff ego maniacs Swooper Dolphins Separate from the standard pattern Dolphins!!

Low Fish has the right of way.

Well, like I said, I know some things that others have no clue about and for everyone that's posting all the shit here, well that's just what it is...SHIT. Do any of you really know how many tanks this TZO has been involved in...and how many fishes have died while in his tanks...?...no...didn't think so>:( I hope nothing like this ever happens to a sea-going mammel you know. >:( YOU BASTARDS

Jon

Since this was obviously an intentional water jump, where was their S&TA? What about a B-license?

Yet another example of the stupid US Porpoise Association's ratings program. Sharky didn't need a water rating. She had 30 YEARS of water jumps - she could've written the book on water jumps.

It's those inexperienced coaches you have to watch out for. What are they doing coaching, anyway? I'll bet the humans that "coached" her on this jump had less than 100 jumps themselves.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Does anyone have a fin loading on Sharky?

345.6 to 1

Well there you have it...this loading is way too light for the manuver she attempted. Brine Dholphanes' (The Porpoise and it's Plight) book suggests a fin loading of at least 350:1 before attempting the double dolphin manuver. Will they ever learn?

Jon

Edit to add book title

Yet another example of the stupid US Porpoise Association's ratings program. Sharky didn't need a water rating. She had 30 YEARS of water jumps - she could've written the book on water jumps.

It's those inexperienced coaches you have to watch out for. What are they doing coaching, anyway? I'll bet the humans that "coached" her on this jump had less than 100 jumps themselves.

...it is official....this is my favorite DZ.com thread ever. :)

Does anyone know if this was a USFA member tank?

How deep was the dolphin when she initiated the turn?

Was she wearing swimming goggles?

Did she have an AID (Automatic Inflatable Device)?

Back when Sharky started jumping they didn't have all those fancy fangled gadgets.

All those devices do is make it so even the most retarded dolphin can jump. :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Does anyone know if this was a USFA member tank?

How deep was the dolphin when she initiated the turn?

Was she wearing swimming goggles?

Did she have an AID (Automatic Inflatable Device)?

Back when Sharky started jumping they didn't have all those fancy fangled gadgets.

All those devices do is make it so even the most retarded dolphin can jump. :S

thanks for that :|:D:D;)
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

Is there any word on the condition/extent of the injuries of the other dolphin? Are they able to shed some light on exactly what went wrong?

Blue Skies Sharky:(:(:(

Yes, I have some information, but I don't think I should post because it's really not my place.

I wished you all would STOP speculating. You have no clue what really happened. We need to wait for the official report...B|

Jon

You are right.

It is NOT your place!! We will speculate all we want here. People learn from speculation. If you are too emotionally involved then you should NOT read this thread.

Fact: Sharkey was killed by that other Swooping Dolphin. People need to wake up or the FDA will start getting more involved. Yet another mid-Air collision that would have been avoided if we could just keep the hotshots showoff ego maniacs Swooper Dolphins Separate from the standard pattern Dolphins!!

Low Fish has the right of way.

Well, like I said, I know some things that others have no clue about and for everyone that's posting all the shit here, well that's just what it is...SHIT. Do any of you really know how many tanks this TZO has been involved in...and how many fishes have died while in his tanks...?...no...didn't think so>:( I hope nothing like this ever happens to a sea-going mammel you know. >:( YOU BASTARDS

Jon

I have heard that this TZO was caught flying in sardines from Mexico, and alegedly had fed them to UNDERAGE dolphin females. I heard that he actually did time for that before using his ill gotten funds to open this very large and commercial tank, any body know any thing more about it?
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

WHY GOD, WHY!?!?!?!?!?!

I am sorry if Sharky was a friend of yours, and I will say a prayer to your God if it makes you happy. But I was under the impression that Sharky believed in Scion, and not God, so perhaps you didn't know Sharky as well as you pretend. Is this just your way of chiming in on a thread that you really have no knowledge about?
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

[replyWell, like I said, I know some things that others have no clue about and for everyone that's posting all the shit here, well that's just what it is...SHIT. Do any of you really know how many tanks this TZO has been involved in...and how many fishes have died while in his tanks...?...no...didn't think so>:( I hope nothing like this ever happens to a sea-going mammel you know. >:( YOU BASTARDS

Jon

I have heard that this TZO was caught flying in sardines from Mexico, and alegedly had fed them to UNDERAGE dolphin females. I heard that he actually did time for that before using his ill gotten funds to open this very large and commercial tank, any body know any thing more about it?

Sure it was sardines? I heard it was herons, and the after-show parties were historic:)

Jon

Was she using fins or her tail to initiate the turn?

Could it be possible that she dropped her tail, causing her to hit the other dolphin?

Again, speculation. Imagine if you are family member or friend of Sharkys and you read this post that sounds like blame is being laid on her for her poor position.
We need to remember that whales and PENGUINS read these forums and use this information to inform others. They may even try to contact you and call you into court
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Sure it was sardines? I heard it was herons, and the after-show parties were historic:)

Jon

Jon, I hear what you are saying, and I have heard some of those rumors as well. I really didn't want to get into it too far for fear of getting banned. I think it's really important that we not get too emotional about what has happened here, so that we can take a good look at what is happening at various tanks around the US (and the world for that matter)
When you use the name of a really well known dolphin like that, you risk having your post edited or banned for personal attack issues. I think it's really important that we don't personalize this problem too much.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I haven't read any of the posts, the news article, or even know anything more than the thread title, but here's my opinion...

This all ATC's and FAA's fault. :|

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I haven't read any of the posts, the news article, or even know anything more than the thread title, but here's my opinion...

This all ATC's and FAA's fault. :|

Well at least we are all in agreement there. But the problem now will be more regulation, and rules to learn and follow. We really need to make sure that we have the foresight to self regulate before more of these sensless accidents occur, re: my previous post about someone at the tank talking to the involved parties and keeping this from happening in the first place! If not the TZO then some one like an instructor or even another dolphin. We all know that the TZO's are just in it for the money!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]