Jumpervint

John Mitchell is My Hero

Yep, next time I'm making Jeff Sanders fly the main side.:D

Seriously, any one of us would do this for any jumper. I'm just glad I was there and picked up what was going on. Thank you, everyone, for your support. Like I said, it wasn't really a clear cut decision in freefall, I was just trying to do what I thought was best. I hope to not have to do that again.:S:D

I'm sensing a crack choir song in the making.....

To the tune of "Wind Beneath My Wings"

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
It must have been crazy on that skydive,
Someone fell on poor Jim Lennox's head
Knocked unconscious - his world was fading,
Then John Mitchell fucking saved the day.

So he was the one with all the glory,
While Jim was the one with a head injury.
Now John Mitchell says that it was nothing,
But this man's a shit hot AAD.

John Mitchell knows that he's our hero,
He's everything a jumper should be.
His wife is a babe and he's a hero,
Raise a glass to the Prairie King.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Good job John. The ultimate in "watching out for one another".

Jeff has always been my hero and now I'm adding you to the list, sorry Jeff, move over.

As MadJohn said on the PA at the boogie "when you see John, shake his hand and say thanks".

RobH

But... that being said, I would prefer to trust that John apprised the situation and did what he thought was safest for that jumper and for the others in the sky.

I knew that I wouldn't be disappointed with that trust.

I'm glad that you were watching out for him. :)

Seriously, is there a way we can nominate someone for this award? Is USPA giving out such award?

It used to be something that Skydiving magazine awarded. Maybe the folks at Blue Skies Mag can pick up the torch (with their own unique twist, of course!).

Kudos to both John and Jeff for being heads up and helping out a fellow jumper in need. It was great to see Jim up and about and telling his "no shit there I was" story the next day. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yep, next time I'm making Jeff Sanders fly the main side.:D

Seriously, any one of us would do this for any jumper. I'm just glad I was there and picked up what was going on. Thank you, everyone, for your support. Like I said, it wasn't really a clear cut decision in freefall, I was just trying to do what I thought was best. I hope to not have to do that again.:S:D

Wow.. Just wow..

It's really great that you had that much presence of mind.. I'm not sure that many people would have assessed and reacted to the situation as well as you did.

Well done to you and Jeff. :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I of course wasn't on the load.:( I was not feeling well so had taken some medication that made me sleepy and slept most of the day in someone's trailer. John came in to check on me after the jump and told me about it matter of factly. He asked me what I thought because it was still bothering him if the decision had been a correct one. I told him that since Jim was fine that he did the correct thing. Who knows what might have happened if he hadn't done that. Too many scenarios to imagine really and it just wasn't worth saying "What If". Especially since what he did ended well.

John is excellent in making good decisions like this in a split second. Jim is not the only one he's ever saved when when the clock was ticking. A few years ago he got an award for Air Traffic Controller of the year because he helped a pilot during his journey trying to get to his family for a Thanksgiving Day holiday in bad weather.

My baby is absolutely awesome in life and death situations. He's my hero as well for more reasons than this. ;) He's saved my life many times. B| I wouldn't be here without him.:)

The best heroes are those who are also humble, like you.

John Mitchell, you are a man with good judgement and consistent heroic tendencies. You make a strikingly positive difference in this world, and we love you for that. Thank you for being our hero. :)
Edited to add:
To whomever Jeff Saunders is...thank you, too. You are equally heroic. :)

FANTASTIC JOHN and JEFF ! I was at the Coolidge boogie when Greg Robinson caught and pulled for an unresponsive jumper. Its DAMN hard flying down to and catching a jumper not working to fly with you. I know of at least one very experienced jumper that couldnt catch an unresponsive jumper in time ; heartbreaking . There are probably others. They are heros for trying. John and Jeff, who would probably say they were just in the right place at the right time, are members of a VERY small group of heros. GREAT JOB ! Jim owes some beer.
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards