Ketia0

Need diamond help pretty pretty please...

Dunno if this, or the womens forum would be better. :$

I am wanting to buy an engagment ring. I went to Jareds and saw the prices and almost cried. :( My girlfriend picked out the ring that she loves. See attached photo.

Anywho. I have a friend who works with diamonds. She said she can get me the ring and the diamond for $6900...

Here are the specs

SI 1
G in color
1.21 Carat for the center stone
1.86 total carat weight
Brilliant cut
AIG certified
14k white gold.

Is that a good deal?

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!! :)

Also, at Jareds, this same ring and wedding band go for $2100 with no stone.
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

went we decided to get married, she told me she did not want a ring. "every time a wear a ring and wash my face, in spins around and the stone scratches my face." we decide to have custom rings made with symbols that represented our love for each other. i asked her since no ring, what could i give her...."coffee in bed every morning for the rest of my life." yep. thats what i do! :)

Bad color and heavy imperfections. You are probably getting ripped off. Also, does she really need so huge a diamond? Too big and that thing can get banged off. If you are willing to spend 7 grand, why not get a better color and a much higher imperfection level with a smaller diamond. And stay away from the mall jewelers. They are all crap and way overpriced.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

It is.. I ahte to sound Cliche'... But.. Shes worth it. :)

Pawn Shops have some extraordinary jewelry sometimes.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It is.. I ahte to sound Cliche'... But.. Shes worth it. :)

No no no no. don't do that:| She'll ask you why you didn't buy a better stone. "What?, I'm only worth Seven Grand???!!"

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Buy her a rig insteaad.

It's cheaper, you can use it occasionally, and if she doesn't appreciate it you know you won't be jumping long or married long.

:D I told my husband if he was going to spend 7-8 grand on me, I wanted a brand new rig.

We ended up buying claddagh rings for our wedding bands and they doubled as engagement rings for us as well. (outwarded facing before we married, inward facing once we married.)

Austin, congrats, I am so happy for you! :)
ETA: I would suggest buying from a locally owned jeweler. They likely have something similar but UNIQUE (I know if I had gotten a diamond I wouldve wanted something unique), and then youre also supporting your local community. Also, if she's into vintagey type stuff, estate sales are another place to look (i know it may be creepy to own a dead persons ring, but to say "Yeah, my ring was made in 1920, and is one of a kind" is pretty cool)

I'll give this advice having did the ring shopping not long ago. Think past the engagement ring and into the full wedding band. Set a max price and stick to it. Its really easy to get into the trap of "just a bit more" stone or "just one grade higher" but in the end the money you are putting into the ring is money you are taking away from things like the wedding, a house or even car payments.

Look at the size of her hands, a 1+ caret stone might be too large on it, I know that when we looked at 1.2-1.5's on my wifes hands it looked too large and drew way too much attention to the ring. Also a ring like that really limits the options for a wedding band so it might need to be both the engagement and wedding band. If she wants a separate band also for the wedding ring think long and hard about what those options are.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Does she really need that ? Think about it.....
Does a ring really mean anything ? I think its all about bragging rights...i don't want to rain on your parade and i wish all the best,,but gezzz :P

I've tried that and my gf doesn't buy it.

Sucks.

WOW, you men are dating the WRONG women... ;)

I'm sorry, but it's a freaking rock (oh, and have your women watch blood diamonds). There is by far more beautiful less expensive jewelry out there...

AND there is so much more out there you can invest that money in : House, vacation, college fund for the kids, etc etc.

Good luck gent's...

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

+1 I read not to long ago a story on the few families that own most of the worlds diamomnd mines/reserves,,,come to find out there is at least a gallon jug sized full of diamonds available for every man women and child alive,,,they just dish it out a bit at a time creating an illusion of being precious and one of a kind.....and millions fall for it.....there is a reason that diamonds are not a commodity like gas,copper, silver,,etc,,,,three cheers to women who see past the bs and gho for smart investments and fun.....
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Instead of swallowing one of the greatest marketing scams of the 20th century, spend the money on something of value.

http://www.wisebread.com/the-greatest-story-ever-sold-is-a-fantasy-covered-in-blood

+1 .... no kidding. so lets see, what could we get for that kind of money...hmmm, more education at a school, a rig...ok, guys lets hear some more...

I would agree with the advice to actually try on rings and see how big it looks on her finger. That'd be a big stone. Does she use her hands?

One thing to consider for the stone would be a cultured diamond. There's a thread about that kind of stuff here (because you know that everything worth discussing has been discussed on dz.com :P).

That's a pretty ring -- she must be really special.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Instead of swallowing one of the greatest marketing scams of the 20th century, spend the money on something of value.

http://www.wisebread.com/the-greatest-story-ever-sold-is-a-fantasy-covered-in-blood

+1 .... no kidding. so lets see, what could we get for that kind of money...hmmm, more education at a school, a rig...ok, guys lets hear some more...

Pay off debt, partial down payment on a home, REALLY nice vacation, more for the wedding, more for things you can actually use (computers, phone upgrades etc). Basically there's WAY more usefull things to spend your money on than a tiny piece of shiney rock.
Muff #5048