Ketia0

Need diamond help pretty pretty please...

Your biggest problem was taking your girlfriend to a jewellers and letting her pick out a ring. Fact of the matter is that asking a girl to marry you should still be one of lifes surprises. Pick a nice place, with all your close friends and the surprise goes a long, long way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud4eLOzSTfU
(please make clicky)

That goes way further than an expensive ring. It's a surprise where the man buys the ring for them and she gets what she's given. Plus it should be handed back should anything go wrong as well.
That being said it's the thought that counts so any genuine girl should be more than happy that you've asked them to marry you regardless of the value of the ring.

Your biggest problem was taking your girlfriend to a jewellers and letting her pick out a ring. Fact of the matter is that asking a girl to marry you should still be one of lifes surprises. Pick a nice place, with all your close friends and the surprise goes a long, long way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud4eLOzSTfU
(please make clicky)

That goes way further than an expensive ring. It's a surprise where the man buys the ring for them and she gets what she's given. Plus it should be handed back should anything go wrong as well.
That being said it's the thought that counts so any genuine girl should be more than happy that you've asked them to marry you regardless of the value of the ring.

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Forget purchasing a ring in the store - unless you enjoy spending 2x+ the worth of the ring.

Do a quick study-up on diamonds using Google, Wiki, etc.

Then Google for a diamond distributor. You will find one who will be happy to select a diamond that meets your specifications and he'll ship it to you for examination.

After you make the purchase, have the stone set at your jeweler.

You'll save lots of $$ and the time investment isn't worse than shop-hopping.

If you're interested, I'll look for the contact info of the diamond guy I used a few years ago. The ring I put together for under $2k would have set me back well over $4k at the friendly neighborhood jeweler.

Good luck!
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Ours cost about $300 together.. . . Oddly enough, it actually took a long time for my husband to wrap his mind around the fact that I didnt want an actual engagement ring. Diamonds are impractical for my/our current lifestyle and, frankly, I wanted our wedding bands to match (seems to be hard to find with a lot of engagement rings). Beyond that, debt is scary to me, as is the idea of draining a savings account...

Has it been a while since we told you how awesome you are?B|

V and I spent $600 total on our rings, paid cash. She has her teeny tiny diamond solitaire in a jewelry box somewhere and just wears a couple of gold bands. My ring is safe in a drawer, because I don't like wearing jewelry.

With your head on so straight, I predict a long and happy marriage for the both of you.:)

That is a lot for that ring. Especially, since the diamond is "average" in regards to color. Most major cities have a "diamond" district where you can take the photo of that ring, and go from store to store and put together your ring for far less money than Jared's is charging you. My diamond expert friend told me that you WANT a slightly included diamond as opposed to a flawless. The inclusions will help you identify and recover your diamond in the event that it is lost or stolen.

My diamond expert friend told me that you WANT a slightly included diamond as opposed to a flawless. The inclusions will help you identify and recover your diamond in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Since the same size/color/cut rock in flawless will cost 90-100% more than SI, I don't think there is any danger of the OP straying into that clarity range.

I wouldn't consider buying such an item that I didn't have cash for. Mortgage yes, car maybe if I had to, but that is it for purchases on credit.

The engagement ring is supposed to be a symbol of the man's worth and ability to care for his future bride.

Sorry, but what a load of crap >:(

Hey, I didnt make the rules. Thats just a little bit of the history behind the ring.

The real history: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/4575/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Ours cost about $300 together.. . . Oddly enough, it actually took a long time for my husband to wrap his mind around the fact that I didnt want an actual engagement ring. Diamonds are impractical for my/our current lifestyle and, frankly, I wanted our wedding bands to match (seems to be hard to find with a lot of engagement rings). Beyond that, debt is scary to me, as is the idea of draining a savings account...

Has it been a while since we told you how awesome you are?B|

V and I spent $600 total on our rings, paid cash. She has her teeny tiny diamond solitaire in a jewelry box somewhere and just wears a couple of gold bands. My ring is safe in a drawer, because I don't like wearing jewelry.

With your head on so straight, I predict a long and happy marriage for the both of you.:)

Thanks John :)

Spending that much money on an engagement ring is plain fucking retarded. I don't care how you justify it.

you forgot the "In my opinion" preface-the kid didn't ask if he should, he asked how to go about it and got little relevant advice and lot's of useless pontificating. The wife got a small ring when we got engaged because that's what I could afford. She got a tasteful but much nicer diamond at 10 years because we were in better shape-mostly because of her. It's not something that means much to some of you (some legitimately and honestly because some of you are sour graping, cheap, or selfish). No regard, I don't have to live with any of you, but why make this kid have to wade through your baggage and feelings of inadequacy just for shopping help.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

No regard, I don't have to live with any of you, but why make this kid have to wade through your baggage and feelings of inadequacy just for shopping help.

caaaauuuuse its a discussion forum of skydivers called the bonfire? :P;)

Spending that much money on an engagement ring is plain fucking retarded. I don't care how you justify it.

No regard, I don't have to live with any of you, but why make this kid have to wade through your baggage and feelings of inadequacy just for shopping help.

He asked for diamond help. He is going to get all kinds of opinions. If you don't like what the people are saying, quit reading the thread.

(not that they dont want to just vomit at our cheesiness when we're together, but still)

STILL won't be as akward as last year! :D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Anywho. I have a friend who works with diamonds. She said she can get me the ring and the diamond for $6900...

Here are the specs

SI 1
G in color
1.21 Carat for the center stone
1.86 total carat weight
Brilliant cut
AIG certified
14k white gold.

Is that a good deal?

No, it's not a good deal. Your "friend" is ripping you off. :S

If you don't like what the people are saying, quit reading the thread.

And if you're gonna whine about being called on it-don't say it

Nm, I don't care enough.

You just wanted him to get all frisky again.:ph34r::ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Ok, So I have read through all the responses...

Thank you to all who have given HELPFULL advice and sent private PM's. It means alot. I think right now I am going to hold off on getting that diamond.. There has been alot of responses saying that it may be too much. Since I dont know a THING about diamonds, I will go back to Jareds, and other local diamond places, and try and get a better understanding :)
To thoughs of you who said that it was "plain retarded"... Though I dont have to justify what I do, and it is probably pointless in this thread... My girlfriend did not ask for a super expensive ring. I WANT her to have a nice ring. My financial state right now would be able to let me get this, without going into debt.

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I WANT her to have a nice ring.

Wanting to do things for your partner just to make them happy is a good start to a successful relationship. Let us know when you do propose!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Im still trying to figure out HOW to do that :S

I have sooo much to plan...

1. Find the ring
2. Ask her dad
3. Figure out how to do it.

And here I thought it would be simple :S

:)

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

The engagement ring is supposed to be a symbol of the man's worth and ability to care for his future bride.

Sorry, but what a load of crap >:(

Hey, I didnt make the rules. Thats just a little bit of the history behind the ring.

An engagement ring is supposed to be a symbol indicating that the person wearing it is engaged to be married. That's it ...

PS: A diamond engagement ring didn't become popular until 20th century.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch