superman0710

how long after graduating from AFF did you wait to get your gear?

I had over 50 jumps before I bought my gear. The place I was jumping had a lot of good gear to rent so I was able to try a few different canopies and sizes before knowing what would be best for me.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

If you're planning on gaining weight from lifting, then get a bigger canopy to begin with. Make sure that whatever harness you get will fit, too.

Depending on your size (i.e. does anything local fit you), availability of gear at the DZ, and budget, 20-50 jumps is very reasonable to wait. That way you have an idea of what you like and don't like, and hopefully you've talked with enough instructors, and watched enough fun jumpers, to begin to get an idea of what's out there.

Go used to begin with unless you have a really overwhelming reason not to. And if your overwhelming reason is that you just have too much money, feel free to share :)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Started researching really early on, started looking at 29 jumps, found first gear at 40 jumps.

You didn't ask, but thought i'd mention that although I changed mains several times, I didn't get a new container/reserve for another 200 jumps.

Tip: Try to buy things used, I bought everything used to begin with. But, if you buy nothing else used, at the very least buy your first main used!

-A

this belief is driven more from scuba than my short time jumping, but I don't think you should even be thinking about buying gear until you have the base certification done. The sooner you do it, the more likely you'll be buying gear a second time to correct mistakes. With scuba that just costs money - even most bad choices aren't dangerous. With jumping it could be a safety issue. And you want to be sure you're actually going to be staying in the sport.

I was going to wait longer to buy a skydiving rig, but ended up pushing the schedule ahead because of limited availability for my size. At 210-220lbs body weight, good sport rigs that are suitable in the post AFF period aren't always available. And student rigs often fit poorly. So I had two non ideal choices, and to a degree could pick between comfort and safety. So I got the rig.

It ended up being most of the winter to get it together. As it turned out, by the time it was done, I felt ok on the 210 rental rigs, but still better on my own (tri 220). And ignoring the $4000 spent, a jump day is a lot cheaper now!

If you're still at the 2 tandem level, go have fun with AFF first. Then finish up the A, using as wide a variety of containers and canopies that you can, esp if you intend to buy new. (Fortunately, at your weight there is a lot of used gear available.)

i bought a canopy right around 19 jumps. then waiting around for a rig that would fit me and the canopy was the crappy part. seemed to take forever. BUT my patience payed off and found a sweet deal on a '02 wings w/ big new reserve and a new cypress for $2500. i jumped my own gear on my 28th jump. the ads here on dz.com is where i bought all my stuff. happy hunting.

Alex
what!?

I bought mine near the end of my student status. I had been researching long before then, and I just picked up the pieces when I saw good options become available on the used market (I bought everything but my AAD used).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

At jump #22. I couldn't wait to get away from the 270 sq ft DC-5 I learned on.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I just purchased my own gear...

I have posted this before - I got new, but wanted used… I am 6’3” and 200 pounds jumping at higher elevations… Not that I need something as large as the typical student rig, but I was unable to find something used that was the right fit. I did try, I had want ads everywhere. So when the end of year clearance sales hit in December, I whipped out my calculator and realized sale pricing on new was not that much more than used.

Take into consideration some perks the dealer gave on free rentals, and it was a good investment for me. BTW – Dominic at Square One really went out of his way to make me knowledgeable, safe and happy…. I would recommend him for a second opinion if you are already dealing with someone.

Problem... It takes forever to make a new container (8-20 weeks depending on brand. Next time I will look at the Infinity more closely because lots of people love it, it was my most comfy demo, which I realized only after I ordered something else, and they have a quicker turn.)…

It also may take forever to find something used…

So, to answer your question, my feeling is - start shopping right away - because it could take some time before you buy/get something - so by planning ahead you can have it in time for when you want it and are ready for it. It might be that you are looking at the classifieds for three months, or it might be that you are waiting for something to be made for four months.

thread title says it all.

I bought mine prior to AFF :)

before you say "how stupid", consider this: I went to do AFF in November, and due to weather being uncooperative did my actual first level in March. That amounted to 4 months of reading, asking, watching, and hanging out. :)

Gear turned out great. I recently ran into a bit of money, so before it could spill away from me, I ordered a new container, and sold my original, old, 1992 EOS, the comfiest rig I've ever jumped. Still sneak it from the current owner and jump it on occasion :)

by all means!

I bought my first rig, used from the dzo, the day I graduated from student status. It was there, it fit and I could afford it.

I don't recommend this now - that was back when no one jumped wingloadings over 1.0, AADs were for pussies, velcro was not a bad word and a good used rig could be had for $1000 or less.

Jump 55 was my Beer jump on my 2nd hand Javelein J1 with a 2nd Hand Raven 150 a New Hornet 150 and a new cypres, the whole lot cost me $5500AUD, which is about $4200USD.
It's all gunna be up for sale in a couple of months:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?