regulator

72% of Grocery Carts have fecal matter on them

A new study from University of Arizona professor Charles Gerbar shows that nearly three quarters of American shopping carts, where people buying groceries put their food and babies, have fecal matter on them. According to Gerbar, that's more fecal matter than found in a typical public bathroom.

Gerbar and his team swabbed 85 carts in four different states to yield their results: 72 percent of carts tested positive for fecal matter and half were laced with E.coli. As you might imagine, much of the bacteria was found on the carts' handles.

Something to think about next time you're handling produce Whole Foods.

http://www.good.is/post/warning-seventy-two-percent-of-grocery-carts-have-fecal-matter-on-them/

,,, where people buying groceries put their food and babies,...

The babies part in the carts is your answer as to the source. Little "shits" [:/]

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Psychiatrist friend of mine once noted:

"So many people have issues with dirt, even though we live in an inherently dirty environment. Animal skin, insect feces, pollen and aerosolized urine is all pretty ubiquitous. I've often wanted to tell people that - 'the world is covered in a thin layer of feces; deal with it.' But that's not all that helpful usually."

.. deal with it.

How would that help them sell hand sanitizer and sanitized wipes?(not to be confused with sanitary napkins)

If we all trusted our immune systems to work as they have for 1000's of years we wouldn't be good consumers of dumb products.
My photos

My Videos

That hardly seems like a large enough sample considering the number of carts in the entire country.

It's a small sample but the accuracy of a sample population is based on the size of the sample, not the size of the population (assuming the sampling is random).
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Right on. Kids eat dirt and seem to do better from it. There are, of course, limits. The days of just dumping the bedpans out the window on the street were not good and improvements in sanitation have led to things like doubled life spans and the like.

Nevertheless, there is shit everywhere. Our bodies are teeming with beneficial flora.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If we all trusted our immune systems to work as they have for 1000's of years we wouldn't be good consumers of dumb products.

Which is why I don't buy hand sanitizer generally - the only time I'll use it is after using the bathroom and there's no running water available (or before food prep and there's no running water).

I'm so not a germaphobe. I don't use ass gaskets in a public restroom (unless it's super-nasty or if there's no toilet paper and I need a substitute :D). I wash my hands regularly - always after the bathroom, always before food prep, or if they're dirty. That's about it. I seem to be surviving and thriving.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm like you...not a germaphobe by any means. It seems like people don't understand that the only way to build up your immune system is by exposing yourself to some germs. They're actually doing their body more harm by sanitizing EVERYTHING. Now I'm not saying we should all go roll around in our own crap...but some germs are good.

"So many people have issues with dirt, even though we live in an inherently dirty environment. Animal skin, insect feces, pollen and aerosolized urine is all pretty ubiquitous. I've often wanted to tell people that - 'the world is covered in a thin layer of feces; deal with it.' But that's not all that helpful usually."

One of my favorite swimming holes sometimes has a sign posted saying that the pool is closed due to the fecal count being too high. Which is sort of a reminder that, even when the fecal count is "acceptable," we are still swimming in feces.

Aerosolized Urine, I saw them open for Alice Cooper once.

What you have to be careful of is... the pinto beans! At one time, I hauled groceries to grocery stores. At one of my stops, that store had a large wooden barrel full of pinto beans, for bulk sale. At the time, I was helping the grocer check-in his order. The grocer looked behind me to see a little kid peeing in the barrel full of pinto beans. The result of the story was, the kid's mother had to buy that barrel along with over a hundred pounds of beans... at the selling price! :D

Chuck

I'm with you. I figure what I can't see can't hurt me:P

Except I'll also use hand sanitizer if I have a cold, to protect others.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well isnt the early form of fertalizer basically made out of crap? It helped blossom flowers and plants...so it can't be all that bad for us...I'm not saying its finger licking good by any means though...
but if it grows plants faster then there could be a method to the madness.

Well isnt the early form of fertalizer basically made out of crap? It helped blossom flowers and plants...so it can't be all that bad for us...I'm not saying its finger licking good by any means though...
but if it grows plants faster then there could be a method to the madness.

The CURRENT forms are also made out of crap. That crap still works!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Maybe our tests are too precise. You could probably find a lot of bacteria from fecal matter on the average living-room carpet, television remote control, swing seat, and tennis ball, if you looked hard enough.

If I can't see a brown lump with a magnifying glass, I'm OK with it. Unless it kills me.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

A new study from University of Arizona professor Charles Gerbar shows that nearly three quarters of American shopping carts, where people buying groceries put their food and babies, have fecal matter on them. According to Gerbar, that's more fecal matter than found in a typical public bathroom.

Gerbar and his team swabbed 85 carts in four different states to yield their results: 72 percent of carts tested positive for fecal matter and half were laced with E.coli. As you might imagine, much of the bacteria was found on the carts' handles.

Something to think about next time you're handling produce Whole Foods.

http://www.good.is/post/warning-seventy-two-percent-of-grocery-carts-have-fecal-matter-on-them/

Oh great. Thanks for telling me this shit...

While some people may actually go to the extent to shit their pants your theory isn't exactly plausible.

You smell methane; the gas released when someone farts.

Same way when you pass a dead animal on the road. you're not really inhaling small particles of that animal but the gasses released when decomposition occurs.

True, those gasses may carry minuscule particles but I wouldn't you're actually inhaling feces...unless you REALLY GET IN THERE.:D

My photos

My Videos