airdvr

Juicing

Rox and I are contemplating juicing but we don't want to spend big bucks on a juicer. I'm concerned that the concoctions will taste like green baby poop and we'll grow tired of it quickly. Any experienced opinions?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Rox and I are contemplating juicing but we don't want to spend big bucks on a juicer. I'm concerned that the concoctions will taste like green baby poop and we'll grow tired of it quickly. Any experienced opinions?

I juice everyday bro! I bought a Jack LaLanne juicer from walmart for 99 bucks last year and its still running strong. It comes with a book of a lot of good tasting recipes. You can also google "Fat, sick, and nearly Dead" which is all about juicing and is always posting new recipes on Facebook. The Micro-Nutrients that you get from juicing are extremely good for you and you'll feel a 100% health and energy boost from juicing. You really can't go wrong. Besides you really can't put a price on your health? Well I guess you could but it really isn't wise to go the cheap route. :D
Lovin every second of it!

I juice everyday bro! I bought a Jack LaLanne juicer from walmart for 99 bucks last year and its still running strong. It comes with a book of a lot of good tasting recipes. You can also google "Fat, sick, and nearly Dead" which is all about juicing and is always posting new recipes on Facebook. The Micro-Nutrients that you get from juicing are extremely good for you and you'll feel a 100% health and energy boost from juicing. You really can't go wrong. Besides you really can't put a price on your health? Well I guess you could but it really isn't wise to go the cheap route. :D

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that since I started juicing, I haven't been to the Doctor for being sick in over a year.:)
Lovin every second of it!

I have a Green Star, and they cost big bucks, but I was planning on using it hundreds of times and I have. Still running.

The better the juicer, the less waste. That is significant when you are buying organic veggies for juicing, because they are more expensive than conventional. And you should buy organic, because the average American consumes 2 pounds of pesticide every year. If you're going to juice, you will easily get twice what the average American gets, probably more.

One tip - use apples to sweeten the bitter taste of the greens. Fuji and Gala are the best because they are the sweetest.

Start with an inexpensive one, and buy more expensive juicers if you keep doing it over a period of years. Most people give up, and it's not a great investment if you do. Have fun!
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that since I started juicing, I haven't been to the Doctor for being sick in over a year.:)

Meh, I haven't been to the doctor for sickness in at least 4 years and I don't drink ground up stuff... just saying :P
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Decided to go to a juice bar to get some samples. They put grass in it. Yuck. What about things like V8 Fusion that's supposed to have all the veggies. I really can't see myself gagging down the Kentucky Bluegrass Special every morning.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I don't think grass is required; I had some delicious juice the other day that had ginger, beets, carrots & cucumbers (I think). It was great, and had me thinking about a juicer.

Except that when I had one a few years ago, I just didn't use it that much; tons of waste, too. But now I compost :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Get a decent blender and go with green smoothies. It's whole fruit goodness.

+ 1 on the blender. The juicer you lose all the fiber from the fruits and veggies, a waste in my eyes. Plus juicers are a bitch to clean, not worth my time (a friend has one).

If you go green smoothies or juicing, start off slow (one a day). The body detox from the green goods can lead to small headaches and other annoying detox symptoms. I got them for about a week when I started them, bit worth the good results I feel a few weeks later with no more symptoms of detox crap.

Edit: you don't have to use all greens in them, I usually use spinach and fruits, yogurt, almond milk and some granola. Just throw whatever in that works for you.

Rox and I are contemplating juicing but we don't want to spend big bucks...

Looks like you're going to have to hit up the vet supply stores in Mexico if you're going to get huge, but you may have some side effects...

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Juicing extracts the liquid and you lose the fiber. If you do lots of fruit at one time, expect a quick rush from all the sugars. If you juice fruit a lot, you can actually gain weight. Blending fruit to make a smoothie keeps the fiber and slows absorption as you digest fiber along with the sugars so you don't get the sugar high. Well, unless that it's what you are going for. With green veggies, you get less sugar so juicing or blending works well. Some veggies just don't blend well, like beets and work better in a juicer. Carrots and apples are great at curing some of the harsh flavor of some veggies. Careful on juicing pineapple. It foams up and is a pain to clean the juicer.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I juice daily, and from time to time do a juice fast. (currently 7 days into a juice fast now)

I've started with a jack lalanne, I had it for a year or so using it occasionally... but when i started my 1st long fast it gave up the ghost after 48 days of using it 2 or 3 times a day

When it broke a friend loaned me their Omega Vert until i bought a new one... I really liked it's size & it was easy to clean... but the juice was really too "pulpy" for my liking

So I bought an Omega 8006, and i couldn't be happier... It's a masticating juicer that uses an auger .. it's super quiet and get way more juice out of what i put in it than any other juicer I've used.. which is nice because produce is expensive so it saves me a ton

Regarding juice that tastes like baby food... I've found that if you stick to juice recipes you find online (or anywhere else) you usually do ok.... when you go to experimenting with your own concoctions prepare to be disappointed ;) ... but sometimes you happen on something that really works.... for example i found Kale & Pineapple REALLY work well together...

If you do decide to go for it I'm sure me and several of the people who posted above can set you us with some recipes that taste pretty good!

I use a blender rather than juicer as well. My understanding is you do get more fiber that way but I like it cause its alot easier to clean. Go with a good quality blender tho. Makes it alot quicker and easier to blend everything.

Ive got a breville. Not the cheapest but it does a fantastic job. You can juice a table full of goodies in no time.

start with more fruit than veggies and work into adding more veggies as your taste develops.

Juicing rocks.

ETA: the breville takes about 5 min to clean back to like new.

I also have a BlendTec which I use on a daily basis. Yes, fiber is taken out of the juice, and yes the carbs will spike your insulin levels for a few hours - I don't recommend eating fat for a few hours after juice. But juicing, in my opinion, isn't about losing weight, it's about gaining a high concentration of nutrients from a good food source.

If the goal is to lose weight, there are more effective ways to do that.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I also have a BlendTec which I use on a daily basis. Yes, fiber is taken out of the juice, and yes the carbs will spike your insulin levels for a few hours - I don't recommend eating fat for a few hours after juice. But juicing, in my opinion, isn't about losing weight, it's about gaining a high concentration of nutrients from a good food source.

If the goal is to lose weight, there are more effective ways to do that.

The "Will it Blend" blender? I hear you could make iPhone juice.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I got the super duper Ninja. I throw in some fresh veggies or fruits or both and crank it up everyday. ETA: If you do a veggie only, always throw in a bit of apple - makes it taste great.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I started a 30 day juice fast on April 1st. (ive done several 2-3 week fasts before this way)

Here is a typical day for reference....and though it may LOOK like green baby poop, it tastes quite fine.

[URL]http://imgur.com/yDtGM4n[/URL]

[URL]http://imgur.com/yVZtpm8[/URL]

I use a Breville juicer.

ETA to fix the retarded links and to add I don't follow any recipes although I have several juicing recipe books, I just throw whatever I have in there.

I got the super duper Ninja. I throw in some fresh veggies or fruits or both and crank it up everyday. ETA: If you do a veggie only, always throw in a bit of apple - makes it taste great.

and Vodka!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

and Vodka!

With http://www.markethallfoods.com/products.php?product=McClure%27s-Spicy-Bloody-Mary-Mix&gclid=CK6Xv5j9trYCFQTqnAodnkMAyQ ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

and Vodka!

With http://www.markethallfoods.com/products.php?product=McClure%27s-Spicy-Bloody-Mary-Mix&gclid=CK6Xv5j9trYCFQTqnAodnkMAyQ ;)

MMMMMM! :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9