skymama

What smell reminds you of your childhood?

I ran across this question in a game the other day and found it so intriguing, I've been posing the same question to people.

Mine is chlorine (I was a competitive swimmer for 11 years, I could never get that smell completely off my body or hair!)

Other answers I've received:
Grandma's perfume
Roux cooking on the stove
Stinky kneepads (from an athlete)
Empanadas

So, what is your answer? :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Rotting leaf litter. I grew up in Hawaii and have kicked up the leaves just right while hiking a couple times and been taken right back to the rain forest in Hawaii. There were a couple of kind of woodsey places I used to play there, a park that always smelled like that and a treehouse at the school just down the hill from my Grandparents' house.

When I visited Boulder for the first time in the mid 90's, I had some orange tea at a Chinese restaurant that tasted strangely familiar. I kept tasting it all through dinner and finally figured out that it tasted exactly like melted Orange Otter Pop. I hadn't actually had an otter pop since I was 8 or 9, so I was a bit stunned I could recognize it.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

fresh cut bermuda grass.

I went in for an allergy test and found that I was a class 4++ for bermuda grass.

We came home, showed dad the results and he said, "Great, no go mow the yard."
[:/]

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My first memory that comes to mind is the smell of the old neighborhood stores. Before they were "jiffy" stores.
Wooden floors, raised foundations, and the soda pop coolers....they just had this "smell".
Kinda old timey and neighborhood to me.

Also...mimeograph machines.
OK kids, here's the test for today.

ahhhhhhhhh!

kcjen24

Mine is chlorine

I thought I was the only one! When I tell people I love the smell of chlorine - they think I'm nuts!

I was a competitive swimmer too, so that smell and the sound of splashing water takes me to a happy place! :)

kcjen24...LOVE it ????
No kidding, that's interesting...how about You skymama...?? you say it reminds you.. but do you LIKE it???
.....because as kids,, we disliked chlorine big time !. :|>:( i think they put it in the NYC water system in the 50s cause it made my grandparents water in their Bronx apartment ( Moms parents ) taste Terrible !!( we lived in the country and had excellent well water... and plenty of it. )B| hahaha we hated drinking From the Tap when visiting NY..:S

For GOOD and HAPPY,,, childhood smells . A cake or a pie or cookies just finishing up in Moms oven has to be near the top of the list.
Also leaves burning...in autumn. we always raked the leaves and then tarped them over to a burning pile in the garden. Same place the grape husks and squeezings would go after Grandpa T next door, made wine !( NOW THAT smell, wine barrells in the wine cellar !!! is a sure top 5 ) No wonder the soil was always fertile...Though our GrandMothers' "Genius for growing vegetables and flowers " factored in as well...i'm sure.
anyway.....
if i can list 3,
( i can probably list 20!!!!~~!!!)
( but will stick with three...);)
I would then add ...
Vicks Vay -Po- Rub !!!! hahaha:D
known to most ALL those who enjoyed childhood, Before the 90's, when we got all carried away with health care and treatments and this new fangled thing and That new fangled thing !! :o

i figure i am doing pretty good, If i can remember ANY part of my Youth...

Good thread topic.
B|:)jmy

-The sweet smell of falls leaves
-Smell of manhattan during the summer
-Deisel from the train yard we played in
-Armpit smell, I was a kid when the eastern Indian-Americans started moving in
-The smell of new grip tape in my skateboard
-The smell of fresh bread, use to help load up a delivery bread truck before school for the old man baker
-The smell of newspapers I delivered
-Mothballs at my grandmothers

normiss

My first memory that comes to mind is the smell of the old neighborhood stores. Before they were "jiffy" stores.
Wooden floors, raised foundations, and the soda pop coolers....they just had this "smell".
Kinda old timey and neighborhood to me.

Also...mimeograph machines.
OK kids, here's the test for today.

ahhhhhhhhh!

That's it!! Thanks.

TheBachelor

Mine is skunk. We lived in the country, and you'd smell the skunk scent regularly. 30 years later, it still reminds me of that time. Because of that, I love the smell.

You can absolutely have all of the ones that live here.:|

Seriously.:|

Take them.>:(

:P:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

A Zippo lighter reminds me of my father, scrambled eggs ( for some reason ) reminds me of my mother.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717