shropshire

So, what are you reading at the moment?

Right now a few things:

Transcending Fear
Emergency Medicine - A Comprehensive Review
Just finished the "Game of Thrones" last book and waiting for the next to finish.
The SIM in my spare time
"Finance for the non financial manager"

i'm so fun...
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Just read "The Blood Gospel" By Rollings and Cantrell over the holiday.

Very different from Rollins' usual stuff, but a good beach read none the less. I tend to like easy to pick up and stop books when traveling. More involved stuff like Black Swan and the likes get me too worked up. :ph34r:

Also almost done with "The Belial Stone" by Brady. Cheap buy for the Kindle, and a decent page turner too.

Remster

The Big Nowhere by James Elroy (part of the 'L.A. Confidential series). It's incredible how detailed and complete and how dark and fucked up the world he creates is. The inside of his head must be a disturbing place.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yesterday, I went to the Woodring Wall of Honor Dedication Ceremony in Enid Oklahoma (now the permanent home of the Vietnam traveling wall) While there, I met Colonel Lee Ellis (Ret) a former POW in 'Nam for 5 years. He knew my former SERE Commander - Col. Nick Rowe; also a 'Nam POW for five years.

Col. Ellis wrote a book, "Leading with Honor. Leadership Lessons from the Hanoi Hilton." I bought a autographed copy of his book and will start it tonight... I'll let you know when I'm done.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

"Time of Reckoning" by Walter Wager

30 years after WWII, A former Jewish POW camp survivor sets out to assassinate former Nazi prison camp officers, even those in prison after war crimes trials, making it look like natural deaths. It's time for his revenge... A U.S. CIA officer figures out what's happening, and hunts down the murderer. But when the CIA finds him, will they arrest him, or help him continue?

"The adventures of Huckleberry Finn".

I must confess that the book sometimes makes me greatly uncomfortable. For instance, you read the n-word every other sentence and there is a lot of unthinking racism expressed by the characters. Yes, I can understand that was the way of life in the bad old days, but I'm not sure yet what to think. Though I can't quite put the book aside it's already taken me several months to get to where I'm now; the point where Huck finally gets rid of the King and the Duke.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

"Medicare and You" Kudos to the author for tackling a difficult subject. Fairly fast paced, but bogs down a little in the chapter called "Part B" Characterizations are somewhat stereotypical; the author seems more concerned with the character's financial situation than fleshing out a real person. Scary ending: we are all going to die.

Overall I enjoyed it.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

An extremely interesting paper that outlines how insurance companies use social media for underwriting

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2011/10/13/219764.htm

Forget those hackers at the NSA; this is what you need to understand if you buy insurance or use social media or know someone who does.

An excerpt from the article:
Currently, social network data are being used as sources of evidence in courts of law in claims cases. Individual underwriters are retrieving risk evaluation information on their insureds through manual searches on social sites.
But in a few years, automatically mined data from social networking sites could find their way into the underwriting pricing process. It could become a factor in determining premiums
You don't have to outrun the bear.