shropshire

So, what are you reading at the moment?

Just finished reading "How To Be An Alien"

Best review said: "If you are 'English' you will enjoy it. If you are an 'Alien' you will understand it." In any case, it's a good read - even if you are neither! Plus, it's short and has pictures :)

Note: Yes, I gave a link to a book with a different title. It's the same book, except you can read some of it online through the magic of "preview" :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780307588142.html

I read all of ex-CIA agent Robert Baer's books, and this one just arrived a couple days ago.
It is co-written with his wife, who he met in the CIA.
This part written by her just amused me:

Another class the CIA won't hire is congenital liars, the kind who lie about the size of the fish they caught. I can't miss the irony that the organization that lies for a living won't hire men and women born to the task, but I guess the CIA prefers to train its own to lie.

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Finishing up Stuntman!: My Car-Crashing, Plane-Jumping, Bone-Breaking, Death-Defying Hollywood Life by Hal Needham. The man's entire career is a "no shit, there I was" story. B|

Also really looking forward to reading There's a Spy In My Soup because a) it looks like a fun story and b) the author and her family are long-time family friends - her daughter and I were BFFs back when we were young'ns and still stay in touch today. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Right now: "CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide, Fourth Edition"

I sure as hell wouldn't recommend reading it for pleasure.:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Just got done re-reading Day By Day Armageddon, after having read the sequel for the Morning Star Strain. Now I'm reading Goldfinger. After that there are a handful of non-fiction on my plate that involve a mired of history topics.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Finishing up Stuntman!: My Car-Crashing, Plane-Jumping, Bone-Breaking, Death-Defying Hollywood Life by Hal Needham. The man's entire career is a "no shit, there I was" story. B|

That sounds great. I'm gonna get that book.

I just finished Bill Bryson's book "At Home", an interesting history of . . . practically everything, like most of his books.

I'm currently reading two books. First is "Shell Games" by Craig Welch about seafood poaching in Washington's Puget Sound. The other is "The Universe in a Mirror", the story of the trials and tribulations of the Hubble Space Telescope. Those two and a couple of comic books. Gotta keep a little variety in it all. :)

Just finished:

"Just Kids" by Patti Smith (great follow up to the Keith Richards book)

"The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalup (2010 Winner of both the Hugo and Nebula awards)

Cued up:

"Starman - The Truth Behind The Legend Of Yuri Gagarin" by Jamie Doran & Piers Bizony

"The Wizard Of Lies - Bernie Madoff And The Death Of Trust" by Diana Henriques
www.wci.nyc

Thats a good book Shah, I even had my mom read it for her fear of flying

So is Mom into swooping yet?

NWFlyer

Just noticed that Hal Needham died on 10/25. What a life he lived!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

kallend

And NWFlyer gets this week's award for resurrecting old threads.

Eh, only 2 1/2 years old and it's still early in the week. I won't accept that award just yet. :P

Plus, "what are you reading" threads are timeless. And it's coming on winter, so people are starting to read again. B|