billvon

Open question - main vs reserve size

Pack volume. Nobody likes carrying around a giant rig, and it can be difficult to find (or make) a container whose reserve tray is a lot larger than its main compartment.

Both wings and racer have proven they will make any combo main and reserve. it is very do able. my rig is made for a 149Xfire and a 218 reserve. 70 square foot difference...that's as big a difference as soem mains out there now a days.

Familiarity. If your reserve is drastically different than your main, you might be pretty rusty flying it when the time comes. This probably isn't a big issue if your reserve is large enough to be easy to fly, but it's probably a pretty serious issue if your reserve is smaller than your main. I also don't mind my bigger rig. it gives me peace of mind.:)

what's odd is I had my first cutaway in december. I hadn't flown a bigger than 175ish parachute in over 2 years...but I was so lightly loaded on my reserve it felt like I was flying a skybarge. making it very easy for me to find my landing spot and lots of time to set up for it....very nice indeed.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I am not going to downsize my reserve ever.

I have two sport rigs with Tempo 150s on them loaded 1.1. The Wings has a Viper 105 and the Jav a FX 111.

I also have an old Warp III with a swift 200 reserve and a Prodigy 175 for CRW.

One day if I'll be jumping a 78 Xaos 27 I still want a 150 reserve.

I don't buy the two-out argument. I am not going to load a F-111 7 cell at 1.6!
Memento Audere Semper

Got a 120 main and a 126 reserve right now.

Would buy a 107 main and 113 reserve in my next rig.

But only if I could test jump the reserve a few times first and felt confident that it was big enough!

Right now I feel comfortable with what I've got :)

I would (and Did) go for a 150 Main and a 150 Tempo Reserve - I kept them the same size because frankly, I'm not loading the Main or Reserve very heavily at all - and regardless of main canopy size, I would be using a 150 Reserve for my body weight....
=========Shaun ==========

Stileto 150, and a PD-143. So for now, I fit the old paradigm.

I can see a day where I'll downsize my main by going crossbraced. I do not see a day where I'll downsize my reserve, I'm already loading it quite aggresively.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Stiletto 150 main and PD143 reserve - I will probably go to a stiletto 135 by the end of this season and I will keep my reserve the same. (even if I downsize more some day)B|B|

:P
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

I have a question relating to this....

John LaBlanc (from PD) was giving a seminar on a 2 out situation & what to do.

All his responses were giving a smaller reserve. He said if the reserve is bigger & it is out behind the main (quite typical apparently), it will never stay in a bi-plane, it'll always go into a side-by-side & more probably end up in a down plane.

I've always thought that I'd want a larger reserve & will most likely keep my kit in that set-up.

I asked John what to do w/ a reserve larger than the main - his response:

"don't get in a 2 out situation." [:/]

My question is, if most people are now leaning toward the larger reserve set-up... how does this affect the 2-out situation scenarios & our response?

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

What I really don't understand is why everybody seems so worked up about 2 out. How common is that, anyway? My view is that is is much better to get a reserve that you will be comfortable with flying and landing in a stressful situation. Since it is MUCH more likely for you to be ending up under just your reserve versus ending up under both canopies, I think it is smarter to concentrate on that. I'd say, get a reserve you feel comfy with, keeping in mind that you will probably be stressed, maybe low, maybe a not-so-good spot, under an unfamiliar canopy, one not made for high wingloads, and take it from there.

If you do get 2 out, which I think is mostly avoidable BTW, then deal with it. Maybe get some CReW training if you're not sure, a good idea even if you ARE. You'll be happy after that lineover to have a nice docile boat above your head ;)

BTW I have been in a 2 out situation myself, had my own personal downplane too so chopped it. I also have 3 other cutaways (one line-over, one spinner, and one intentional).

But as always, talk to your instructor ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I just don't buy the argument.

don't use seat belts because they have shown they can kill. Same for RSL, cypres, and so forth.

What are the odds of a clean cutway and reserve ride vs. two out?

I will not load my reserve 1.6 or more. As a matter of fact I don't want to load it more than 1.1 -1.2 max.

It's a F-111 7 cell canopy for chirst sake!
Memento Audere Semper

I've just bought a new system,

Pilot 168 Main
PD160R Reserve.

I'm 210 out the door and would be happy to keep the PD160R forever, regardless of any main I was jumping.

You should be able to land your main under a wide variety of circumstances, wind, spot etc. You should be able to land your reserve in EVERY condition in which you will jump - high wind, nil wind, bad spot and off landing, as when you cutaway these situations will present themselves - usually at a low altitude. If you are not confident enough that you will not face-plant a landing in the mud on your main then a more heavily loaded reserve will do more than get your kit muddy!!!
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

"don't get in a 2 out situation."

This sounds like a very reasonable response. I've only seen two two-out situations. One was caused by a jumper pulling low, and his AAD activated the reserve at about the same time as the main. One was cause by a jumper that had a streamer and elected to open reserve prior to cutting away because he felt too low to cutaway safely. Both situations were the result of poor judgement - the first jumper could avoid the problem by not pulling low, and the second did not follow good procedures. I'm tempted to say any two-out situation is the fault of the jumper making bad choices - equipment problems may be excepted, but jumpers should also make good equipment choices.

I agree about having a larger reserve - I like the idea of having a more docile canopy in an emergency. I'll probably buy new this summer (two rigs just ain't enough :P). My plan is to get a 150 main and 160 reserve. My current most-oft-used rig is a 150 main and a 143 reserve.

I've seen a trend that jumpers that have a 135 main or larger tend to get a reserve about the same size, while jumpers that have under a 135 main get a reserve that is much bigger, percentage-wise. I assume that's because they don't want to swoop their reserve canopy?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD