Kramer

Pull Altitudes For Wingsuits

I am new to the sport, so I don't know too much about wingsuit flying yet.

My question is: Do you guys pull a lot lower than a regular skydiver due to the fact that you've got a lot more time before you hit the ground?

What is the routine pull altitude for a rather experienced birdman?

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

I too pull around 4,000 feet.. now that i'm experienced. Before that I was pulling at 5K.

I've taken it down to 3,000 before with no issues, however if you have an issue (such as line twists) that may be too low to have enough time to deal with it.

As SM1 stated. One doesn't need to take it any lower the 5 K until you have a couple hundred BM flights under your wings. To do so is to tempt fate and reduce your chances of recovery if something does go terribly wrong.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Do you guys pull a lot lower than a regular skydiver due to the fact that you've got a lot more time before you hit the ground?

Dwain did, as he had this same time to impact theory. However, he was pretty much the only person I knew who did that and when he had a spinning malfunction once, I think even he started to question that theory.

For the most part, we dump high.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

that's ok for you guy's across the pond who get a zillion feet as standard... from 12,000 we brit's have to eeeek! out the extra altitude to get the same sweet flight times;)

did some niiiice 1 on 1 today and had a blast.

Fordy
Fordy

Did you mean 4000 feet or 5000 on pull?

I personally pull at 4800-4500 on all my flights. When I was doing the first few jumps on each new suit I'd pull at 5200 just to make sure I'd be good to pull.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I personally pull at 4800-4500 on all my flights. When I was doing the first few jumps on each new suit I'd pull at 5200 just to make sure I'd be good to pull.

Wow....you guys are making me feel like I'm taking it low since I open at 4,000. I'm under a good canopy by 3.6k when I dump in full flight, and have everything unzipped, slider stowed, and unstowing the toggles by 2.5k(usually closer to 3k) on a Sabre2 loaded at 1.5.

Mike

Did you mean 4000 feet or 5000 on pull?

I mean you need to be pulling at 5k until you have become proficient at undoing everything and handling emergencies. This is even more crucial if you are jumping an elliptical or highly loaded canopy regardless of experience.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I fly a s3, a CF 89 and dump at 2500.

And you had a spinner at this altitude and played with it before cutting away? If that is the case you are a very lucky man.

I can personally attest to the rapid amount of altitude one can lose in a few seconds when under a spinning canopy. I watched Chuck's canopy drop 2 grand + in the time it took me to say Oh shit when he had his ride in Eloy. I will reiterate what I said earlier, you increase your chances for not recovering from a problem the lower you take it. Be safe, not sorry.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have 70 jumps on a Classic, 10 on a SF3, and I pull at 3000-4000 depending on the main I'm using. It largely depends on your canopy, I think - larger canopies care less about body position, descend more slowly under normal conditions (giving you more time to deal with zippers etc) and usually get less violent during low speed malfunctions. I've used both a Safire 119 and a Silhouette 170 with both suits, and based on their reactions to the opening I wouldn't take the 119 under 4000 feet.

I totally agree with billvon. It really depends on your main. When I was borrowing a Crossfire 2 for awhile, I dumped at 4k - 4.5k. On my Sabre 120, I usually pulled at 2.5k - 3k. But this was also after I had my stowing routine dialed in and fast. If your canopy has (essentially) no chance of giving you a spinning mal, you're quick at putting your stuff away, and you've given yourself a good spot, then dumping uber high isn't all that necessary. I'm dumping at 3.5k - 4k right now, though, because my new Sabre2 is just too damn fun.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I initiate deployment (throw out the PC) around 4500' with a GTI, Vengence 150 loaded at 1.6. I DO NOT pull in full flight with my current setup, instead I go into my pull position at 5grand and 'slow down' until throw time. I would like to be throwing right out of full flight, as this is the technique I need to master before BASE flying, but with my current container, (still haven't done the damn mod), I usually get a nice PC hesi, followed my massive line twists, induced by me of course, when I pull from full flight. Anyways, I've just found this technique to work really well for me, albeit not ideal for my end goals, but I'm working on getting a tamer main, and of course, fixing my G3 to have more open corners. Incidentally, I have a contact at Mirage who just emailed me the 'latest' G3 mod last week, its more aggressive than the past ones, and makes more sense to me now so I'll definitely have it done.
Your mileage may vary,
Later
Blair

i jump from 13200ft and pull at 300ft or just below it.flying a Classic 2 and had a xfire99 in the container until resently were i got a Sabre120 instead...
I did make LQRS at it myself..;)B|
I dont BASE my birdsuit

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i jump from 13200ft and pull at 300ft or just below it. (...) I dont BASE my birdsuit

Hi!

??? "pull at 300ft or just below it" ??? :o

300 ft is way LOW... :ph34r: but "below it"??? :$:oB|

OK! OK! You meant 3,000 ft (3k)! ;)

... at 300ft you would be BASE'ing your birdsuit! :S

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal