VectorBoy

DO you have second rig?

Do you have second rig? And if you do is it set up with a similar canopy/ harness handles as the first or a different set up for other types of flying? And finally if it is different are there any pros and cons to doing this? I know TM's fly different systems on the same day but they have mucho experience. Most of the guys that I personnaly know that have two rigs have very similar setups. Lets say what about someone between 100 and 1000 jumps. What do you guys think. Glen.

I have two rigs that are completely identical (except for the color of the main). They are both Javelin Odyssey containers built to the exact same specs with Cobalt 85 mains and Tempo 120 reserves. I also have a 3rd Odyssey with the same harness/handles that has a Cobalt 105 main in it for those night/demo jumps and all the other times that I need a third rig. It is nice to not have to worry about which rig I'm flying on this jump, and think about where the handles are located and how that particular main flies.

I don't have two rigs [:/], but any day now I will be taking possession of my second main with it's own risers, dbag and pilot cute so that I can easily swap mains :$. Eventually this new main will become my primary main and I will sell the older one, but until then (because it has a higher wing loading) I will initially only use it during windier (spelling?) days and days that I jump at lower altitudes.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I've got two. One is older and has a big F-111 canopy in it. I'm saving it for a demo rig, but use it if I'm in a hurry to get on another load. I have a cocking type pilot chute on one and a bungie collapsible on the other. My main rig has a cypress. The other doesn't Steve1

Two?? You have to count higher than that. In 24 years of jumping I've never had less than 2 rigs I routinely jumped and often more. Right now I have a Reflex with a Sabre and cypres, a Vector II with a Triathlon and cypres, and another Vector II with a PD Lightning with no cypres. Also airworthy I have a Crossbow rig and reserve with a Rip Cord, R-3 type releases and a competition ParaCommander; a prototype SST with a 24' flat and stratocloud main; a Northern Lite with a Swift Plus reserve and PD 260 main (set up for a second set of harness three ring rings for intentional cutaways, outlaw. The cutaway canopy goes on the front and you go back into free fall with a normal rig.), a Navy seat complete, an Air force back, and enough parts to put together another northern lite, manta, and swift reserve. B| And I'm looking for a round to use as a main. (Phantom 28)

At one time I had the Crossbow right hand Rip Cord with two hand releases, a Northern lite with right hand legstrap throw out, right hand cutaway and left hand reserve, and a complete MIRROR image Northern lite with a LEFT hand legstrap throw out, left hand cutaway and Right hand reserve. I'd jump these rigs interchangably when jumpmastering. I only ever reached the wrong way once and stopped myself before getting to the handle.:o I became a rigger originally just to take care of my own gear.

No, I'm not a gear dealer (except Softies), DZO, or independent instructor. Just a gear junkie and a pack rat.:S

One con to having two modern rigs is if they have different mains and you jump both it takes longer to get good with each main. Also the cost of cypres maintenance. :| And these days make sure the handles and risers are set up the same.

Terry

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have three rigs. A Vector 3 with an FX114, cypres & Tempo reserve. A cheap old Talon, with a Lightning 176, no Cypres and a PD176 reserve that I use for nothing except CReW. The other one is a Javelin with a Springo 140, cypres and Transfair reserve that I rarely get to use 'cos my girlfriend loves the Springo and keeps hiding it when she's not using it.

No special (non-obvious) reasons for this assortment - and the Javelin/Springo combination was chosen with the view so that Tessa could use it occasionally - honest!

For lower jump numbers it would probably be sensible to buy very similar rigs, especially canopies with similar landing characteristics.

I only ever reached the wrong way once and stopped myself before getting to the handle.:o
When I first started jumping modern gear, after a twenty five year lay off, I had trouble remembering where the pud was to pull. It was a habit to come in just below my right shoulder to pull an imaginary rip-cord that wasn't there, and then I'd remember modern rigs aren't set up that way. Actually I only did this a couple times, but it's funny how muscle memory sticks with you, even after that many years. Steve1

I used to have 2 rigs with the same size and type mains... container type, reserve, and reserve handles were different...

I now have 3 rigs... All 3 have the same handle set up, 2 are G3's and 1 in a Javelin, 2 have the same reserves PD143s and 1 has a 113, 2 have AADs, the mains are all different... a Velocity 103, Velocity 96, and a Crossfire 119...

One rig is only for hop-n-pops / pond swooping (the 96/113/no aad), the other two are for camera work and other stuff... I have different mains in those so I have some flexibility.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I'm currently down to two, and my rigs typically have different mains. Councilman covered all of the cons I could think of (takes longer to master each one, Cypres costs) with the exception of remembering how each main handles, especially in the flair (which might be covered by "takes longer to master" but I think deserves special mention). In my case, I've got a Diablo and a Safire, and I have to remember the very different flair characteristics of each or I'm gonna have a problem, especially if I've been jumping one for a long time and gotten so used to it that I don't really have to think about it when I'm landing it and then I switch to the other one.

I did mean to cover it in "master" but your right, you have to be able to use the proper technique depending on rig. Every once in awhile I used to have to look up to see which one I had on.;) At one point my two main rigs were a Manta and a Sabre 190. (Bad ankle, couldn't run when I bought the manta) When I wanted a guarenteed soft landing for my bad ankle in squirrely conditions, I'd grab the Sabre. With my history I'm used to jumping different rigs and canopies interchangably. But, I wouldn't recommend this for newer jumpers. Pick a rig that can do every thing you want, even if it isn't the smallest, and master it. Make a second rig similar. Experience will give you the versitility to land multiple canopies in all conditions.

Oh, I forgot my Cirrus Cloud. Hmmmm may have to put that in a rig:S That was a canopy in the mid 80's that had a reputation for no one being able to land it. I always stood it up (when most people didn't) BUT you had to fly it all the way to the ground.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>Do you have second rig?

Right now, I have two I jump regularly, a Racer/PD160R/Silhouette 170 and a Reflex/PD143/Saphire 119. I also have the parts for about three more:

-Old Talon with 200 sq ft reserve and 200 sq ft F111 7 cell
-Old Javelin (small harness) with 200 sq ft reserve and Falcon main
-CRW Talon with PD160R reserve and Nova 150 or Tri-135 main

Plus my BASE rig.

I need to get my rigger's ticket. :-) Would save me cash. Yep, keep em in date. Occasionally let one go out during the winter when I'm not jumping as much though. Only the Power Racer is actually a pain to pack - the others my rigger does pretty easily. I've always been a big fan of a comfortable rig - which means not getting the smallest container possible but one slightly larger which packs easily and is nice and soft...

W

>I need to get my rigger's ticket. :-)

Not really. Just do what Kelli and I do - find a friend/SO who's a rigger, pack your own rig while they're watching (or at least in the vicinity) and have them sign it off. It's almost as easy, and someday when you actually go to get your ticket you'll have the 20 repacks done. Heck, if you just do your own rigs you'll be there in a year and a half.

I've got 2. The one I usually jump now is my newest- a Wings with a Spectre 150. My first rig is a Javelin with a Sabre 150, but I really didn't jump it much this year at all, only when my "SO" grabbed my Wings to do a back to back when he was training for nationals. The Wings is a lot more comfortable, and I prefer the spectre to the sabre, but still I can't bear the thought of selling my first rig!

Oh, and both have a cypres, and I've never noticed much difference as far as where my handles are.

maura

Not really. Just do what Kelli and I do - find a friend/SO who's a rigger, pack your own rig while they're watching (or at least in the vicinity) and have them sign it off.

If only that was how it gets done. I pack it and sign off the pack job. Her job is to tell me it is due.:S

Hook

>I need to get my rigger's ticket. :-)

Not really. Just do what Kelli and I do - find a friend/SO who's a rigger, pack your own rig while they're watching (or at least in the vicinity) and have them sign it off. It's almost as easy, and someday when you actually go to get your ticket you'll have the 20 repacks done. Heck, if you just do your own rigs you'll be there in a year and a half.

It won't take her that long, bill. Remeber she's a CReW queen. B|

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I've jumped a rig from ~'83 for the last 10 years, then this year upgraded half-way to modern by buying a rig from about '93.

The old rig, in which I've fit F-111 canopies from 200 to 265 ft sq, has been great for basic CRW, taking to Bridge Day, canopy trashing, and screwing around low under canopy (eg, 180 hook turns to landing from, like, fifty feet). You learn to fly whatever you've got, towards the edges of its own performance envelope.

Old gear is great for its adaptability! - although bridle or riser protection may need upgrading.

My '93 rig came with a Sabre 135. I also bought a used FX88 to use in the same rig. By having two sets of risers/bags/pilot chutes, and a careful system for storage, canopies can be quickly swapped without even repacking. To make the FX88 fit safely, I've sewn in a 'pillow' below the reserve container. Dense foam padding can be inserted to use with the small canopy, or removed for the larger canopy.

If I'm ever jumping in the US, they should be able to allow me the 180 day Canadian repack cycle, as the rig sure isn't TSO'd any more...

Peter Chapman
Toronto, Canada (Canadian rigger)

I have a second rig. Its set up just like my primary rig. Both are Mirage rigs with Diablo 150's. The reserves are different however. Handles are all the same

As a camera flyer my main concern is not having to deal with a different set of emergency procedures., hence the same setup.

Yup. A standard Javelin and I just got my Odyssey set up last night. Both have Samurai 136. The javelin has a pd143r and the odyssey has a pd126r. The second rig should help me turn loads next summer and I wanted to master one size before moving on to the nxt canopy size or class. The only differencee is the reserve handle and the PC handle is slightly higher on my back on the Odyssey. The Javelin reserve handle is a D-ring and the odyssey has the soft (free-fly) handle.

I've got my first 2 canopies I'm working on selling...

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken