fool

comments on spectres

Hey. Just wanted to find out how many other people out there are jumping Spectres, what they're loading them at, and just general opinion of them. I have a spectre 135 loading it at about 1-1 give or take, and love the canopy more each time I jump it. The only problem I seem to have had is slightly off heading openings which I had attributed with the longer snivel. I am in no real rush to downsize anytime soon, but, as a definate step in the future I do give it thought, and have started reading up on certain higher performance canopies. While doing this I also took note of the fact that the spectre goes as small as a 97, and was curious if anyone is flying one at a much higher wing loading than I am, or if people are just using it as a first canopy.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Norman Kent was jumping a Spectre a while ago, hes only got a few thousand jumps. Joe Jennings was jumping a Spectre for it openings I seem to remember too. A lot of big name camera flyers jump a Spectre at some impressive loadings (1.5+) because of its soft, predictible opening.

And odds are that the off heading openings are you have'nt learned to "fly the opening" yet and with experiece this problem will go away until you go elliptical.

The worst mistake I've ever made jumping was selling my old Spectre when I bought a new canopy... I should have found a way to keep it.. Might have to get a replacement one day in the future.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I jump a Spectre loaded at 1.5. I love the canopy. I had 50 jumps on a used Sabre loaded at 1.2 before I bought it. I broke my back and was tired of the painful Sabre openings. The Spectre opens nice and soft and on heading. At this wing loading I feel very safe and stable in all conditions. I will keep this canopy even when I downsize to something smaller. I doubt I will down size for quite a few more jumps because I enjoy it so much.

I bought my Spectre new and now I have about 50 jumps on it loading it at 1.2 at 5200msl. I like the canopy even more now than when I first got it. The openings are nice, consistent and on heading whether flat packed or PRO packed and the canopy is forgiving of a sloppy pack job. I will definitely keep even if I decide to go with a high performance nine cell in the future.

I have over 150 jumps on Spectres loaded about 1.0:1 - 1.1:1. After back surgery I must have soft openings, and the Spectre delivers (well, as long as the lines are stowed correctly). Plus it's easy to land and fun to fly.

My new one should be here next week B|

I'm about 250-lbs out the door, and I've been jumping a Spectre-230 that I bought used for a great price. It is one of the best canopies I've ever jumped; the openings are always soft without too much snivel and no hunting for a heading like a nine-cell canopy. I had a Spectre-190 for a while, but it was just too ground hungry for me. I also have two Crossfire canopies, 180 & 189, but when the winds are up or I'm visiting an unfamiliar DZ then I jump the Spectre-230. Seven-cell canopies are also priced right too!

I'm jumping a Spectre 150 loaded at about 1.2 -1.3 (depending on the time of year and how much pizza I've had lately-) My opinion is about the same as everyone elses' I'll probably get another Spectre when I wear this one out-

Easy Does It

Yep, Spectres seem to generally get the job done. One of my friends jumped a spectre, 135, loaded at 1.4-1.5 and he loved it. He also got very nice swoops out of it so it really looked to perform very nicely indeed at those loadings.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

wingload 1.2, great openings (very soft) and A LOT of snivels and canopy dancing at openings (kinda funny to see it), only thing that has happened twice, dunno why, is that the slider has stopped in the middle of the lines while comming down (slider and gromets are in perfect way).

Gonna keep it if I downsize sometime in the far future, (when its time to downsize I will get a cobalt or stilleto) gonna keep it cause I can do crew with it.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I have one whole jump on a Spectre 170 loaded around 1.3. I swapped rigs with a friend that wanted to jump my Stilletto. I really liked it. Opened in about the same altitude as my Stilletto but was Waaaaaayyy more stable during the snivel. I would describe it as "Rock Solid" No dancing around, just sat up there and sniveled perfectly on heading. Flew nicely. The glide was steeper of course but seemed to glide nicely in rear risers. The toggle pressure was a bit heavier than a 9 cell but nothing that bothered me. Nice light riser pressure that didn't build near as fast as the Stilletto. The carve and dive was almost identical. It was windy and I didn't get in it hard but still got a few feet of surf. Over all, a very nice canopy. I enjoyed it. I could forsee someone being able to do 1000's of jumps on that and not ever have to cut it away. Very stable in turbulence as well.

B|
Hi James,
good luck with the coach course.
you need to get to Eloy and talk to
Brigitte, she used to jump a spectre 97.
In the July parachutist, Eric Fradet
(25,000 jumps)endorses the Spectre.
As you know I love mine.
I'll let you know when the Beech
gets going.

Andrew

I love mine; its loaded at around 1.2 give or take?? I think its a great all around canopy. I'm a pretty conservative pilot- no long swoops or low turns for me, but I've seen other people get some nice swoops out of them.

I got a couple a jumps on a spectre 190 and choose to buy and put a hundred jumps on a 170 @1.1loading. I loved it! Best all around canopy, Fantastic first canopy, forgiving of sloppy "still learning to pack" jobs. And rock solid stable when you learn to pack and deploy properly. Like someone else said I regret having to sell it to play with elipticals. In a perfect world I would have a 120 for bird-man jumps and a 190 for a pro rating and demo work as part of my "everysize campaign". Not the flare of a 9 cell unless you induce a little speed. But that doesn't stop most of shit-hot camera flyers that use them. I hear Bridgett liss is not to shabby on hers either

Everyone has said all the great stuff about Spectres and I agree. I have several hundred camera jumps on one loaded about 1.7 to 1 and it flew wonderful through them all. I did learn quickly to keep those brakes stowed on long spots. They get fairly ground hungry when you let the brakes go!

Thanks for all the input...I'm going to try some different things to try and get an on heading opening out of it, but even if I don't...I still love it more and more each jump...I dream of those no wind days.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I don't do anything to the nose, and noone else at my DZ jumps one...most are into stillettos, but I've had other people pack it, with pretty much the same results as I had.

S.E.X. party #1

I seem to have had is slightly off heading openings which I had attributed with the longer snivel.

Be careful you are not looking up at it when it's taking half an hour to inflate.
I'm jumping a 150 loaded at 1.1-1 and am loving every flight under it.. Every openning has been soft and on-heading except the first one which took a turn because I was turning via my harness to watch it.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Be careful you are not looking up at it when it's taking half an hour to inflate.
I'm jumping a 150 loaded at 1.1-1 and am loving every flight under it.. Every openning has been soft and on-heading except the first one which took a turn because I was turning via my harness to watch it.

Why would looking up to watch the snivel make you turn in your harness? I jump a Spectre and I almost always watch it, once my risers are pulled all the way up. Do you jump a camera that requires turning your head to look up?

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Why would looking up to watch the snivel make you turn in your harness? I jump a Spectre and I almost always watch it, once my risers are pulled all the way up. Do you jump a camera that requires turning your head to look up?

I don't jump a camera. I was more refering to before the risers are "pulled all the way up" and before your body is verticall. It is not recommended to look at your deployement right after dumping in case you get a whacker but I did anyway which required me to turn my head to the right... As a result, once the canopy began to inflate, my body weight was transfered more to the left leg strap than the right... This resulted in a slight, but immediate turn.

I just read that he was getting used to the "long" openings and wouldn't be surprized if the "off heading" deployments were really just harness turns due to the same.

Are you happy with your Spectre? Beautiful openings eh?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Are you happy with your Spectre? Beautiful openings eh?

Yes indeed they are. And I understand what you mean by looking up. I don't look up until I feel the lines start to stand me up.

B|:)

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project