fcn

From scratch to AFF instuctor

I resemble that remark Ed! >:(B|

330 tandems this season, & only 20 fun jumps......

While I still consider myself a very capable and competent skydiver, I was definitely a better RW flyer at 500 jumps than I am at 1750. Around 900 of my total jumps are tandems and unfortanately they have deteriorated my RW skills some what. (The trade off is that I'm a pretty kick ass TM though.....lol)

Side note: Each time I was able to make one of those rare fun jumps this season, I'd find myself getting in the door and saying to myself "don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue......"

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I resemble that remark Ed! >:(B|

330 tandems this season, & only 20 fun jumps......

While I still consider myself a very capable and competent skydiver, I was definitely a better RW flyer at 500 jumps than I am at 1750. Around 900 of my total jumps are tandems and unfortanately they have deteriorated my RW skills some what. (The trade off is that I'm a pretty kick ass TM though.....lol)

Side note: Each time I was able to make one of those rare fun jumps this season, I'd find myself getting in the door and saying to myself "don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue......"

Thats cool if doing tandems is your thing! ;)
Just be good at it and stay safe. :)

"don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue......"

:P:D:D

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

As very young jumper I would like to add that some maturity is probably one of the key factors defining a good instructor. Of course this quality depends to some extent on everyone's personal characteristics but I doubt that one can become a mature skydiver by simply knocking 400-500 jumps in one or two years.
Would you agree that being AFFI isn't only about personal skydiving skills? I feel that I am not ready to become an AFFI because I am not ready to teach, lead and make the other person feel relatively comfortable on the ground, on the way to altitude and in freefall.

As very young jumper I would like to add that some maturity is probably one of the key factors defining a good instructor. Of course this quality depends to some extent on everyone's personal characteristics but I doubt that one can become a mature skydiver by simply knocking 400-500 jumps in one or two years.
Would you agree that being AFFI isn't only about personal skydiving skills? I feel that I am not ready to become an AFFI because I am not ready to teach, lead and make the other person feel relatively comfortable on the ground, on the way to altitude and in freefall.

Getting the freefall time you need to be an AFFI can be done in one or two years, but IMO it depends on who you are learning from and the type of skydivers (meaning instructors) you are hanging with at the DZ, if you are going to try and get your AFF rating in that short of time.

IMO if you are just doing FF jumps and no RW, you are never going to learn the dynamics to teach AFF.
Though learning to FF will help you in some cases in the AFF course. ;)

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

As very young jumper I would like to add that some maturity is probably one of the key factors defining a good instructor.

I agree 100%. However, I don't know of any test to measure maturity. I know guys that are 40 that are WAY less immature than some 25 yo's. I met a 20 yo yesturday that amazed me at how mature they seemed.

Would you agree that being AFFI isn't only about personal skydiving skills?

Yep 100%

I feel that I am not ready to become an AFFI because I am not ready to teach, lead and make the other person feel relatively comfortable on the ground, on the way to altitude and in freefall.

With that attitude you might be wrong. It is hard to put yourself into a position like that and it takes time to get used to it.....I used to do a lot of coaching,a nd it took some time to be comfertable getting paid for it....Even today I do more free coaching than I get paid.

Get a rating and see how it feels.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'd find myself getting in the door and saying to myself "don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue......"

I am SOOOO crackin up over this.... Last weekend, no one around, fun HnP from 6,000 and I'm on the step saying those same exact words. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

However, I don't know of any test to measure maturity. I know guys that are 40 that are WAY less immature than some 25 yo's. I met a 20 yo yesturday that amazed me at how mature they seemed.

Oh, absolutely. One of my AFF instructors (Zach, if you are reading this - wassap;)) was pretty young guy but I always had a feeling that he's very mature person.

With that attitude you might be wrong. It is hard to put yourself into a position like that and it takes time to get used to it ...

I agree to some extent. My point is that I do not want to get rating ASAP just because I have enough jumps and freefall time (and will probably pass). The main reasons are:
1) I feel that I myself need to learn more before starting teaching the others.
2) I want to be focused because I believe this is a best way to become good at anything. Currently, my focus is 4-way and it will probably be for quite some time.

Get a rating and see how it feels.

Well. I have a problem here. It is ok to become a USPA or SDU coach (I do realize the huge difference in requirements between these two and not trying to mix them together) just for a sake of experiment. I do not want to become an AFFI just to see how it feels.
If I ever sign up for tryouts, I will do it because I feel that I want to teach the students and that I have some confidence in my leadership and teaching skills besides my ability to fly.

Edit for spelling

Each time I was able to make one of those rare fun jumps this season, I'd find myself getting in the door and saying to myself "don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue......"

:D:D:D
For me it is "pull with the right hand, pull with the right hand"

What did you admire most about your instructors as a student?

It took me 7 years and 1000 dives. (South Africa has a 1000 jump/10 hrs of freefall requirement)

It's what I most disliked about my instructors that inspired me to be better.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

It's what I most disliked about my instructors that inspired me to be better.

Thats a cool statement I remember my instructors being my heros until doing something in the air no one else liked. As for getting an AFF rating as part of a bet, It probably isn't the best thing. Take your time mate, enjoy the sport and as an AFF instructor, let me tell you that an AFF rating is a privilage with lots of responsibilty, remember you will be teaching the next generation of skydivers. The best gift skydiving can give you is experience and the more you have the better you can guide the next generation. Good luck mate. Scotty
Share Everything !!!

Someone that has been in the sport 3 years has a much better shot at being a half decent instructor than one who has been in less than a year. But compressing an equal amount of flight time into the next 11 weeks certainly isn't a recipe for greatness

156 jumps in 3 years? Did he make 1 jump a week for 3 years or did he go un-current 10 months a year and get re-current and do 26 jumps a month for 2 months each year? That would be closer to 6 months in sport than 3 years. My question is how much energy, focus and attention was directed toward skydiving in that time?

I think he is a troll as well but it does bring up a weakness in using stats like time in sport, jump numbers, and wing loading in skydiving. I use the same stats as a reference when I am not familiar with a persons abilities but the skills they do or do not exhibit are much more important.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

there some Indian Navy guys completed their 200 jump and got Austrlian AFF rating. one instructor hit the other instructor after separation and has to stop jumping for a while. It happened in Austrlia, Austrlian ratings are easier than USPA.
I am sure if those instructor get bad student only god can save......
Lesson is i prefer guy with 500 jumps in 3 years than 2 months wonder.
life is a daring adventure or nothing at all

In the beginning I'm pretty sure you needed at least 500 jumps and 6 hours of freefall time for an AFF rating in the US. I have the notations in my logbook where I was adding up my freefall time.

Wendy w.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ahh, got it.

But then, from the Indian Navy's point of view, the APA's freefall time requirements and jump numbers would have been irrelevant since the rating counts for nothing - all they really wanted was the training.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

It is quite common for military jumpers to attend civilian courses to earn civilian instructional ratings, so they can teach their new-found skills to other military jumpers.
For example, for several years now, instructors at the Canadian Armed Forces Search and Rescue school have been required to earn Coach ratings via the Canadian Sports Parachuting Association and the Coaching Association of Canada. During the latest CSAR School training camp, two CSAR Instructors earned their PFF Instructor ratings. So now they can teach PFF to new CSAR Technicians.

>>In the beginning I'm pretty sure you needed at least 500 jumps and 6 hours of freefall time for an AFF rating in the US.<<

No Wendy, when I became AFF rated in 1984 the requierment was only four hours of freefall. They didn't change to 6 hours until some years later.

NickD :)BASE 194