fcn

From scratch to AFF instuctor

Unless you have done some extensive ground instructing during your time in the sport, which is way you only have 156 jumps?
And you have a TON of tunnel time along with your 156 jumps?

I'd say no, but then again, I have seen some rating given out in the last few years that shouldn't have....[:/]

AFF is not just air evaluation, it is ground prep and dedication to the sport and student also.

Combining all of these to make a good AFF instructor is what the sport is looking for, but if you are doing it just to see if you can win a bet, please find another sport to instruct in, like bowling.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Considering the fact that you need 6 hours of freefall time, you'd better get jumping!

I suppose anything is possible, but experience and time in the sport does affect the quality of instructor you'll be, IMHO. I didn't get my rating until this year, my 10th in the sport. But I've seen a lot in those ten years and that enriches my ability as an instructor, I think.

Good luck.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

If you are asking for help on you quest, then you need to fill out your profile, and tell the community, (Dropzone.com) where you are in your skydiving skills and what work you have done so far. From the sounds of it you have no gear or the coaches rating. I think it would be good have those for starters.

In closing if do not live in the Sunbelt, but in the north instead, pay the bet today and say Merry Christmas, with a smile. B|
Memento Mori

From watching experienced jumper get prepaired for the AFF course, I'd recommend going to tunnel camp. Then doing SDU, then go through the process to become a SDU coach. Why? Well for one, you'd get your USPA Coach rating during the SDU coach process, but you'll learn a lot about teaching and evaluting students in the air. You'll need it.

Once you're done with that, spend atleast 50 jumps doing practice AFF jumps.

The guys I helped train (I played bad student for a good number of their pre-course practice jumps) both are SDU coaches and one has a shitload of tunnel time. They worked their ass off (and made it look easy, actually), but they were WELL prepaired and had atleast 500 jumps each.

If you can get your 6hrs of freefall time in, I don't see why you couldn't do it, BUT even if you do all of these things, you have to ask yourself if you're going to be a good enough instructor for your students or are you going to be just good enough to pass the course...

Of course, take my opinion for what its worth, I'm NOT an AFF-I...yet.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...you have to ask yourself if you're going to be a good enough instructor for your students or are you going to be just good enough to pass the course...

This has to be one of the wisest statements I've ever heard.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I got my rating on jump #389.

I got good marks on the air stuff, but I was really lacking on the ground instruction. I got by that one by the skin of my teeth.

When I went out into the real world I spent some extra time learning to teach (and to spot!)

Anything can be done. Just be sure you know what your motivation is. Is it an ego boost? Or do you have a sincere desire to teach. Because your students lives will depend on you. And that my friend is nothing to fuck around with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

A bit off topic, but isn't the min freefall requirement a bit problematic with birdpeople falling at about 30% the speed of the feet up people (neither of which is all that useful for teaching AFF).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Like any statistic, the 6 hours of freefall pre-level for an AFF/I Course is just another crude number.

The real question is: "What skills did the guy acquire during those 6 hours of freefall?"

It is possible for the original poster to earn his AFF rating in 11 weeks, he will just have to quit his daytime job, live on the DZ and make 10 jumps per day, 5 days per week. On rainy days he can fly in the wind tunnel, rig and study methods of instruction. SDU gives the best introduction to methods of instruction.
However, the key factor is 10 jumps per day WITH COACHES. Boring 500 holes in the sky will not prepare him to become an AFF/I, rather 500 jumps that challenge his skills on every jump will prepare him to become an AFF/I.

Is it possible to go from 156 jumps to Aff instructor in 11 weeks.

Nothing is impossible :ph34r: Only took me 15 years and 1100 jumps but then again I had not made any bets. Seriously, I would re-consider your motivation. What did you admire most about your instructors as a student? The aerial skills are key but not the only component. Ground instruction is something I feel needs more attention. Kim Brandt wrote in her AFF pre-course guide that the ground preparation is "the recipe for the meal you are about to eat in freefall", applies to real world more so.
How are your canopy skills? Can you teach those same skills? I know that I have problems teaching more than the basic pattern and approach in the FJC. I have done the Scott Miller thing three times now. The first two for me and the last to observe how he teaches.
As for the birdman and tunnel time comments, 6 hours of freefall time is a pre-requisite just to attend the course so lots of birdman jumps will get that quicker but that time would be better spent flying with evaluators, doing 2-way belly with low timers and even 4-way. Tunnel time does not count but again it can be used to good effect for practising side-slides, rollovers spin stops and bottom end sequences.
Talk to your local instructors and as for betting, I put my money on a White Christmas :P

Foggy

The real question is: "What skills did the guy acquire during those 6 hours of freefall?

I'm a good example of that. I've got a bit over 14hrs of freefall (last time I checked) and I'm not remotely close to having the skill level to pass the AFF-I course.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A bit off topic, but isn't the min freefall requirement a bit problematic with birdpeople falling at about 30% the speed of the feet up people (neither of which is all that useful for teaching AFF).

How about WAY of the topic when it comes to the birdpeople part?
It will not have any advantage to getting him closer to achieving an AFF rating, and for that matter, he probably isn't even current enough to jump a suit with only 156 jumps over his 3 years in the sport.

But as far as the feetup people, I see some advantage in knowing how to dive or fall directly straight down, in the case of needing to chase a heaving tumbling student.

Knowing EVERY aspect of how to fly your body through the air is a definite advantage when trying to get your AFF rating, as it worked for me 12yrs ago when I got my AFF rating. ;)

Ed

Is it possible to go from 156 jumps to Aff instructor in 11 weeks.

Ive made a bet,and i take my challenges seriously!

Please some good advice

Grts FC

in my humble oppinion not nowing you and please dont take this wrong,
being an instructor must be done for the right rason and just to avoid paying of a bet or just to make a point is the wrong one.

you are going to commit to somthing and i am going to say it in caps noy to shout!

AN INSTRUCTORS FIRST AND FORMOST RESPONICIBILITY IT TO THE SAFETY AND SECURITY OF THESTUDENT!

thats a big comitment, now do you want to instruct just to say you are an instructor or because in ten five or whatever you can help improve the sport and return the commitment and pay back what others gave or give you from the sport?

if honestly within your hart you want to do it for THE RIGHT REASON read upon the requirments then go for it, there are no limits to skydiving, only rules.

like pull before you hit the ground.:)
think hard seek advice then decide
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

After getting so many responses from people telling this guy that getting an AFF rating isn't about winning a bet, but instead trying to achieve it through dedication to the sport and wanting to teach students truely how to fly, I truly think that with his LACK OF RESPONSE and THIS POST.

I believe if he is trying to learn more about the sport off of the internet, his true dedication is NOT EVEN CLOSE to what it takes to become an AFF instructor and I believe he's a TROLL. [:/]

Thought the topic did stir up some good responses, and may have made some people realize the path they may want to take while they are in this awesome sport. ;)

Be safe
Ed

Someone that has been in the sport 3 years has a much better shot at being a half decent instructor than one who has been in less than a year. But compressing an equal amount of flight time into the next 11 weeks certainly isn't a recipe for greatness.

And for any sport, that experience should be mostly local and equilivent to the condition where that person would be instructing. While one can fly to Florida or Thailand and become a dive instructor in no time, they wouldn't be very useful in the cold waters of Monterey. Local shops would laugh such a candidate out the door, much preferring those who they trained inhouse.

How do dropzones decide who they will use for students, tandems, or coaching? Does the rating by itself do much, or do they have to sell themselves? Would fcn have a chance in hell of actually working?

Someone that has been in the sport 3 years has a much better shot at being a half decent instructor than one who has been in less than a year.

Just working with a coaches rating may get them some time and experience in working with students, which in turn will lead to a better quality AFF Instructor.

While one can fly to Florida or Thailand and become a dive instructor in no time, they wouldn't be very useful in the cold waters of Monterey.

This wouldn't apply to the air, as it does to warm water and cold water, if thats what your implying?

Learning the student gear, landing area and the DZ student procecures at another DZ isn't hard, and it requires no added equipment for you other then maybe a student radio.
Learning to instruct in cold water would take conciderably more time in equipment requirments for the instructor and also requires more equipment ttraining to teach the student.

How do dropzones decide who they will use for students, tandems, or coaching?

Usually by either having a skydiving past at that perticular DZ, or by having a good instructing reputation in the skydiving community.
Over the years I have seen more then a few Instructors with the rating of a TI be told to take a hike because they were unsafe or not addapting to that DZ's particular student training program.

Does the rating by itself do much, or do they have to sell themselves?

The rating it self means nothing if you don't apply it, and it depends on the person as to how they want to apply it too.
I have seen some that will only do reserve side AFF, mostly because they don't do it for a living and chose to only do it for fun.
And then I have seen some that chose do do the main side only,becuse they get paid more for that side at some DZ's

Would fcn have a chance in hell of actually working?

In this case probably at the DZ he trained at until he developed some experience and a reputation as a good instructor.

Be safe
Ed

While one can fly to Florida or Thailand and become a dive instructor in no time, they wouldn't be very useful in the cold waters of Monterey.

This wouldn't apply to the air, as it does to warm water and cold water, if thats what your implying?

Learning the student gear, landing area and the DZ student procecures at another DZ isn't hard, and it requires no added equipment for you other then maybe a student radio.
Learning to instruct in cold water would take conciderably more time in equipment requirments for the instructor and also requires more equipment ttraining to teach the student.

I was generalizing a bit across the sporting spectrum. I'd agree that locality isn't as important in skydiving, though you do have regions with more issues with wind and weather.

Time is sport is still critical. Though a lot of jumps or dives is worth something, so is simple time to experience a range of conditions and events in the sport. That develops a perspective that the hard core first year types rarely have. Those fellows are prone to looking down the road rather than living in the moment.

I had hoped for your answer about how people are selected. I believe that is the way it should be done.

Not to hijack the thread - but does tunnel time count in ratings like this, or just real skydiving???

No, tunnel does not count for ratings or awards.

It will help you, but you can't use it.

I worked with two guys that wanted their AFF ratings last year. I spent an hour in the tunnel with both of them...One I knew would get hos rating, the other I had my doubts.

One got his rating and the other did not.

They both had 400 jumps.

You CAN get the AFF rating right after you get 6 hours of freefall..I have know a few to do it. But they were not the best instructors. They could do the job, but they lacked the seasoning of someone that has been around for a while.

I find Tandem Masters become good AFF "I". First off they have to have 500 jumps and 3 years in the sport to become a Tandem "I", then they spend some time working with new folks.

Just my opinion...
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I find Tandem Masters become good AFF "I". First off they have to have 500 jumps and 3 years in the sport to become a Tandem "I", then they spend some time working with new folks.

I agree to a curtain extent, but then I have seen some TI's that can not skydive worth a shit without throwing a drouge and having someone strapped to them. :S

Just being in the sport for 3 years will season them abit, but during that time they must apply themselves to teaching.

After they get the TI rating, and depending at what type of DZ they are working at, will get them to be better at learning good teaching skills that can be applied to the AFF course.;)

Be safe
Ed