47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Okay, now I'm having images of Richard Dreyfes in the movie "Close Encounters" going crazy with his obsession over UFO's, and building a model of the Devil's Tower rock formation out of mashed potatoes... ;)

JR, you're crackin' me up talking about the silliness of other people's obsessions.

How big is the shootin' range in your back yard? ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Okay, now I'm having images of Richard Dreyfes in the movie "Close Encounters" going crazy with his obsession over UFO's, and building a model of the Devil's Tower rock formation out of mashed potatoes... ;)

Or the 'not to scale' 3D model Doc Emmett Brown made. ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Mmm... how closely did y'all check the guys who came back out of that ship at the end of the movie...? :D
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Mmm... how closely did y'all check the guys who came back out of that ship at the end of the movie...? :D

Good question. I thought one of them looked an awful lot like the FBI sketch of DB that we got from Ckret. ;)
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Wayne, this is good work.

Questioning assumed knowledge (ie location of the plane/jump) in this case may help us to solve the Cooper mystery.

It certainly is the most interesting post on this forum since the parachute find.

Look forward to seeing the 3-D model.

Cheers

One mans OPINION.

With new 'data', those who were convinced that the money had to be transported after the fact need to regroup.

Considering they were 10-20% of the posts in the thread,
and many of the other posters played off of those posts,
the lull seems natural.

Sad but true IMneverHO.

This thread has generated some excellent tag lines though.

PULL!
jumpin_Jan

Dangerous toys are fun, but ya could get hurt -- Vash The Stampede
"Dangerous toys are fun but ya could get hurt" -- Vash The Stampede

Hey did I miss something? What is that in reference to? More southerly jump point?

Sluggo_Monster

Yes I was referencing a POSSIBLE jump point that put the money upstream of the discovery location.

PULL!
jumpin_Jan

Dangerous toys are fun, but ya could get hurt -- Vash The Stampede
"Dangerous toys are fun but ya could get hurt" -- Vash The Stampede

Yes I was referencing a POSSIBLE jump point that put the money upstream of the discovery location.

NO WAY. I bought some fabric as close to the bag that was in the van - the bank bag. I washed it to make it softer - the color was not right, but the thickness and approx weave were close - Duck Cloth.

When I washed it to get the sizing out that we did not have in the fabrics in 1971 - it raveled all to hell. I thought it was just the raw edges so I bought some more and stitched the edges - two pieces.

I made a small rub on one of the sheets - just enough to slightly fray the fabric as washing up against rock would do. WELL, the results were shocking. The fabric frayed and frayed - ...this is by no means a scientific test - just one that happened.

Alll I was trying to do was present a piece of fabric to the FBI and others that was close to the bag as I could get, so when they manage to get one of the bags like the one given to Cooper that my statement about the bag and its color and the writing would stand.

It was just put in the washing machine with towels and cleaning rags - NOTHING, abrasive. There IS NO WAY that bag washed down the Washougal or the Columbia.
What the FBI need to do is duplicate the bag and throw it in the Columbia or wherever they wish - put a tracer in it and see what happens...

:)it was in his van in 1990. Where he had kept it all of those yrs I do not know...but, I expect a lock box that was prepaid in the name of John C. Collins and WHY he had to revive that old ID.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

One of the reason I am not posting is not much new, but when I want to quote someone - I loose the site.

There was a NEW development LAST yr regarding a suspect that never made the National News Media. A man named Robert Cooper of McAllen, Tx claims his brother "Dan" Cooper who died in 1974 was D.B. Cooper. His number is not listed nor is his address or I would contact him and ask WHY he thinks his brother was Cooper and WHAT EVIDENCE does he have other than a name to connect his "Dan" to the hijacking.

I did not see the similarities in the picture versus the composite but that will always be controversial.

Can someone find an adress for this man - I want to talk to him...I doubt he is computer literate, but let's see. His number was unlisted and there was no address...so how do I go about getting an address without paying for it?

There were several Robt. Coopers in McAllen - so I would have to pay for each one...anyone with resources help me out on this one.

In the mean time I am in the process of contacting and showing pictures to a person I have had an interest in for yrs as someone Duane knew...if this someone can identify Duane and/or his wife then I will move forward and arrange a meeting. I have an address on this "someone" but not a phone number.

Don't think Coop would have attempted this w/o any jump experience.

Those who bolster far fetched former "antique" dealers w/o any evidence of civi jumps and on hearsay and quote/unquote "gosip" as evidence need to sober up! Put down the Tequila bottle and think.

DB's picture is in a jump magazine somewhere. Rest assured and he was FROM the NW (born and bred!), and may very well be living there now ;) .

Jo, you were going to scan and print a letter that Duane wrote to a friend saying something about needing to lay low for a while. What ever happened to that?

Not that it proves any thing but since we are at a stall I think it would help your case some if you could get some hard evidence proving at least some of the things you claim.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

I DON't drink and I DON't repeat gossip. That kind of insult is totally uncalled for...have you read the old site and all of this site? We try to be kind to each other in this forum and not insulting.

I think we should check out this Dan Cooper from Tx who died in 1974. Who knows were it will take us.

Jo, you were going to scan and print a letter that Duane wrote to a friend saying something about needing to lay low for a while. What ever happened to that?

I have been very busy with living or trying to. The letter is a carbon copy and two pages long. I would have to have it copied and black out much of it which is private to the party he was writing. After the black-outs there would be about 1/2 of a page and I am not sure how to do this.

The last time someone else had to do it for me to get the Commutaiton of Sentence in the site. I wish there was a way to do the black-outs with just a short dark area so it would not be so long and such a large file.

:)Someone else did - ONE day. Now that is MORE than a COINCIDENCE.

So we have 2 conflicting theories on Duane, one saying he planted the money there as a decoy and the other saying he was running scared after it. The first one seems to be based on float theory and the absence of most of the money and the second, sorry Jo, on a lot of coincidences which can easily be explained by a million other things. That aside, which theory are we running with? Either, neither, or both?

I still think all this is ... well, pretty useless until we find someone that we know had a pretty good chance of surviving a night jump in crappy weather with a big load landing in the woods. (Am I the only person this screams "paratrooper" to??)

"So we have 2 conflicting theories on Duane, one saying he planted the money there as a decoy"

I don’t think anyone is using that as a theory. The way I understand the theory of Duane planting the money is something like this........After he digs up the money he buried he realizes that the money is useless because of its condition and he tosses it in the river. Where Jo says he tossed it in would make it very easy for it to come to rest at Tina’s bar.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

"So we have 2 conflicting theories on Duane, one saying he planted the money there as a decoy"

I don’t think anyone is using that as a theory. The way I understand the theory of Duane planting the money is something like this........After he digs up the money he buried he realizes that the money is useless because of its condition and he tosses it in the river. Where Jo says he tossed it in would make it very easy for it to come to rest at Tina’s bar.

There have been definitely been posts - i can't remember whether or not Jo contributed to these particular ones or if it was just others - speculating the money was put there as a decoy. If the theory as you state it is accurately represented, then the question remains as to why none of the rest was ever found. (Never even mind the question as to why someone would leave cash in that environment for so many years without going back to get it...unless they were dead, or unless most of the money was already somewhere else)

by the way, does your statement that the money would get to Tena's bar easily fit with the all-important float theory..???

"the all-important float theory..???"

Ha Ha....I got a kick out of that. I don’t think the float theory matters one bit as he would have thrown the cash in the river just up from where it was found. Even if it sunk like a rock current could have taken it that far.

Who knows why he would have buried some of the money but as to the rest of it not being found I doubt he would have buried all of it in one place.

Just for the record I am not arguing for it to be Duane. I would like to either rule him in or rule him out as a suspect. I don’t buy the DNA on the tie ruling him out based on the info that was given. I wish we could have some more detail from the FBI on that.

someone that we know had a pretty good chance of surviving a night jump in crappy weather with a big load landing in the woods

I'll bet there were a number of WWII bomber pilots who did that.

Remember that 10 kts., was the wind limit for STUDENT jumpers on round back then, 14- 18 was not uncommon for experienced jumpers. What I mean is that the wind conditions weren't really that crappy.

As for planning on doing it, it comes down to an individual risk vs. benefit determination

BSBD

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

There have been definitely been posts - i can't remember whether or not Jo contributed to these particular ones or if it was just others - speculating the money was put there as a decoy.

Bigsky is right on the money. I do not understand the float theory. I just know what I know. Duane and I went to two places on the river before leaving Wa. One was the location where he went down to the river slightly West of the airport and the other location was a Hotel
just West of the bridge into Portland. He threw a bag into the water there. None of this is theory it is fact. What was in the bag I don't know...that it was the money is theory.

The planting of money for a decoy is the Mayfield people - they are the only ones who have said that.
NOT me.

Why didn't he go back before 1979 - because it was too HOT. In 1971 he took only what he could carry on his body - we still do not know how he got back other than public transportation...he sure would not want to arouse suspicion carrying a bag.

WHY doesn't the FBI make a very good detailed picture of the tie clasp available to public? Or are they going to wait until that too disappears?

Have you seen this page and this one?

:(Yes, Quade I saw that photo. The photos of the clasp show NO detail. It needs to be studio quality with a filter showing the front of the clasp and then the markings, on the back. Look at the design of that clasp?

The FBI has NEVER answered the question about the markings on that clasp. It does not appear to be a common clasp - I have searched high and low - and I have found NOTHING that resembles it.

The picture does not show the detail of the onlay - that determines the quality. The tie might be common, but not the clasp. If the FBI have shown a detailed pic of that clasp in 1971 - Cooper's goose would have been cooked.

I am still trying to contact the family of the individual I was told the tie and clasp was taken from - but who will remember it after 40 yrs unless a picture exists showing him wearing that clasp and/or one of his children remember buying it for him? The FBI will never put out a detailed photo of that clasp??????

It would seem I speak in riddles sometimes, but I speak only the truth.....just more of the white wash that goes on and on. I don't know why I waste my time on this other than the fact that I cannot walk away from what I know. I will search for the truth till the day I can no longer do so.