19 19
quade

DB Cooper

The stairs on the 707 and 737 are electric..and not aft..perhaps you should call Boeing to find out why they say the placard goes on those planes. actually, it's the parts companies and not Boeing making this statement. it could be as simple as word reference. the emergency door panel on the 737 is noted as the "overwing emergency exit handle" which is very similar to the Hicks placard. even with the door down under the fuselage no Hicks placard is visible. the placard suggests it's something that will release under weight or pressure. the electric stairs are not hydraulic or free falling. pulling any type of wire mechanism will not cause any electric stair to release. 

I'm going to check but I believe Hominid said the emergency access was also inside the box for the normal stair release. . I've seen plastic and metal boxes..

Boeing also stated it's not an exterior placard..

Door down is reference to accessing the stair release from the ground.

Edited by mrshutter45

44 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

The stairs on the 707 and 737 are electric..and not aft..perhaps you should call Boeing to find out why they say the placard goes on those planes. actually, it's the parts companies and not Boeing making this statement. it could be as simple as word reference. the emergency door panel on the 737 is noted as the "overwing emergency exit handle" which is very similar to the Hicks placard. even with the door down under the fuselage no Hicks placard is visible. the placard suggests it's something that will release under weight or pressure. the electric stairs are not hydraulic or free falling. pulling any type of wire mechanism will not cause any electric stair to release. 

I'm going to check but I believe Hominid said the emergency access was also inside the box for the normal stair release. . I've seen plastic and metal boxes..

Boeing also stated it's not an exterior placard..

Door down is reference to accessing the stair release from the ground.

Wow,, lots of assumptions there, I thought you were a facts only guy.

The 737 combi did have optional aft airstairs, the side rear door. They were called "Aft Airstairs"..

4831.jpg.65476ad716672e41ba1f4e3d5c94d02b.jpg

the "overwing exit" you refer to is not related to the 737 optional "Aft Airstairs".. misfire,, 

It isn't myth busted,, not yet. We need more work here.

s-l1600-11.jpg.548ffecb597bd28fa2ccbf5ecbd2e5d8.jpg

The "normal" emergency exit was in the main box on many 727's but it wasn't a "pull on red handle", it was a push the main lever "outward".. all documentation indicates it is integrated into the main handle and is pushed out.  It had a different decal/text and different part number from Hick's. The part number is actually one digit different. ..-182 not 152..

101_0753.jpg.50fb6c169c926352c1b80b33ca6a36bf.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK

10 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

It's a word reference the computer might pickup. it's not meant to be related to the stairs. the wording is related to other placards. 

You don't know that, you are assuming. It may be true or not.

You don't bust a myth with assumptions.. 

Edited by FLYJACK

3 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

even if the placard was inside the the fuselage under the plane it would require the panel to be left open...a large placard is on the outer door...

exterior.png

I am not suggesting this...

If NORJAK did have the Hick's decal "type" and it did have the optional emergency release system it would have to be behind the removable emergency door with the two finger holes. There is another break away panel behind it. Clearly, the Hick's placard does not match the outer decal.

Point is, this isn't settled. We need more work here.

I have found at least three different emergency release decals/part numbers for 727's, there may be more. We still don't even know which one the NORJAK plane had. 

727EMERGRELDOOR.jpeg.413bb2e5805b396ce37acfcfd30e1542.jpeg

4 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

Boeing states it was in the stairwell....why is this a problem? 

I don't have problem but you seem to be confused.

They said inside the AFT door on the 727. That panel is inside the AFT door.

Boeing never said anything about a 737... if it is used or not.

I guess you never read my post on the matter.

The questions to Boeing was not in reference to the decal being on other aircraft. personally, I would expect a different part number. I simply gave a possibility the computer seeks out words like a Google search engine does when they don't have a part number. just because they won't tell us doesn't mean a known customer or well known company won't get better service.

Boeing was asked if it was on the outside of the fuselage or on the outside of the rear bulkhead door. he responded that it was indeed by the rear door and was a interior decal? that's in the stairwell...

2 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

You are the one who stated it could of been from a 707 or a 737...nobody else has made that claim. companies that sell placards give those planes the possibility. not Boeing. 

Clearly, you are confused and did not read my post.

I stated what many of the parts lists indicate for the Hick's placard part number.

Until we have the facts we can't eliminate those as possibilities.

You are assuming that the companies just added those models. They might have, you don't know.

I don't 100% eliminate possibilities (myth busted) based on assumptions, you seem to have a history of it. It is not rational.

If we get the facts, we can eliminate it.

4 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

The questions to Boeing was not in reference to the decal being on other aircraft. personally, I would expect a different part number. I simply gave a possibility the computer seeks out words like a Google search engine does when they don't have a part number. just because they won't tell us doesn't mean a known customer or well known company won't get better service.

Boeing was asked if it was on the outside of the fuselage or on the outside of the rear bulkhead door. he responded that it was indeed by the rear door and was a interior decal? that's in the stairwell...

What is your point?

It was near the Aft Door on the 727..  that includes that optional access door and tells us zero about a 737.

I covered all this is my post.. 

We need to determine exactly which plane models and 727 variants that decal was on, exact location and whether NORJAK even had that decal/system.

You seem to have a problem with that?

Caution: The handrails must be stowed before retraction. The use of standby system from either panel will bypass the handrail and lower-ladder safety circuits. Note that the NG has an red covered EMERG switch underneath the airstairs for emergency retraction, this also bypasses any safety circuits.

NO HANDLE ...only 120 with rear stairs before switching to the front..

Edited by mrshutter45

Caution: The handrails must be stowed before retraction. The use of standby system from either panel will bypass the handrail and lower-ladder safety circuits. Note that the NG has an red covered EMERG switch underneath the airstairs for emergency retraction, this also bypasses any safety circuits.

NO HANDLE

We aren't concerned with retraction..

You are trying to prove a negative, you can't.. I already looked into this.

You don't know all the options and variants for the 737 Aft Airstairs.

The only way to solve it is to contact Boeing.. and get a plane model and variant list for that part number.

Edited by FLYJACK

doesn't matter. the emergency operation is a red switch. it bypasses safety circuits. they would overheat if used more than 3 times in 20 minutes. 

The retraction is in reference to the handrail....

On that system the handrail is manually attached at the top after airstair is lowered.. it has to be manually detached before retraction.

That is the emergency retraction. Of course the retraction is electric.

A unique airstair design was used for the aft doors of 737 Combi aircraft, which consisted of a clamshell door which dropped down to open much like a business aircraft, but then had stairs which were stored trifold in the curve of the door, which would unfold to the ground. This system was very cumbersome, was very susceptible to damage, and thus has been removed by many of its users.

Just now, mrshutter45 said:

A unique airstair design was used for the aft doors of 737 Combi aircraft, which consisted of a clamshell door which dropped down to open much like a business aircraft, but then had stairs which were stored trifold in the curve of the door, which would unfold to the ground. This system was very cumbersome, was very susceptible to damage, and thus has been removed by many of its users.

yes, but it was new in the 70's..

There were even instances of it popping open..

I tried to eliminate this thing as a possibility and couldn't.. you just can't prove a negative.

A lot were removed due to failure out of the 120 which narrows it down further. they don't drop like the 727 stairs when released. they don't have a free fall fail safe option. the Hicks placard doesn't fit in anyway shape or form..

They do drop.