47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Greetings Everyone.

Today, I went to Earl Cossey's home in Woodinville, WA, about 25 miles northeast of Seattle. Here is my report. Tomorrow or the next day I will be posting pictures at the Mountain News, and I'll share the link at that time.

In the meantime, here is what I know:

The Hunt for DB Cooper – Earl Cossey feared dead in Woodinville homicide

April 27, 2013

Earl Cossey, the controversial rigger and long-time consultant to the FBI on the parachutes used in the DB Cooper skyjacking, may be dead in an apparent homicide at his home in Woodinville.

Sergeant Katie Larson of the King County Sheriff’s Department announced Saturday that the finding of a deceased man at the home owned by Cossey had been elevated from a “suspicious death” to a homicide, but she declined to specify why the change was made.

Larson also said that the identification of the deceased and the cause of death would have to wait until the Medical Examiner released its findings. Larson indicated that the public may have to wait until Monday morning to learn the fate of Mr. Cossey.

In addition, no forensic information was released to the public, such as the actual location of the murder or if the police have any suspects or leads.

Nevertheless, various Seattle news broadcasts announced that the body of a 71 year-old male was found in the garage at Cossey’s home and that the individual had suffered a head injury.

In addition, speculation has run rampant over the possibility that this homicide might be linked to the DB Cooper investigation. Cossey has come under increasing attacks in recent years for his inconsistencies in describing his role in the skyjacking saga.

To whit: Cossey has maintained for four decades that he furnished the two back parachutes delivered to Sea-Tac airport on the night of November 24, 1971 as part of Cooper ransom package, but recently released FBI documents indicate that another person owned and delivered the parachutes, a Kent, WA pilot named Norman Hayden.

This discrepancy now calls into question Cossey’s truthfulness and reliability.

In addition, Cossey had long argued that DB Cooper chose an inferior parachute when he purportedly selected a modified NB-8 that Cossey had provided. Cossey has claimed that this choice proves Cooper was an inexperienced skydiver and most likely died in the jump as a “no-pull” and augured into the ground with all of his gear.

This later scenario was embraced by the FBI, who reversed their initial position that DB Cooper was a master criminal and had accomplished a near-perfect crime. Thus, Cossey provided the FBI with the means to tell a new narrative about Cooper, and blunt the cultural impact of Cooper’s iconic status as a man who beat the system.

Hence, as Cossey’s credibility waned so too did the image of the FBI who had touted Mr. Cossey’s analysis.

Further, the FBI used him as a technical consultant in the case, most recently in the finding of the “Amboy” chute in 2009. With media clamoring to know if this parachute was the one used by DB Cooper to make his getaway, the FBI directed journalists to Mr. Cossey, who told them the Amboy chute was not Cooper’s – but not before he told the Oregonian newspaper that the parachute was Cooper’s - thus sparking a five-minute round of hysteria before Cossey retracted what he labeled latter as an “April Fool’s joke.”

Similarly, when I questioned Cossey about the ownership issue, he became angry, cursed me, and hung up. Additionally, Cossey had told me conflicting pieces of information over several phone interviews since 2009, such as whether he had provided an NB-8 or an NB-6 parachute, and the exact name of the second chute. In one instance Cossey called it a “Paradise” and on another he said it was a Pioneer.

Further, Cossey has never explained - as he has long-claimed – why he sent the two back chutes to Boeing Field first and not Sea-Tac where the skyjacker awaited.

In the midst of this Cooper uncertainty, the KCSD has a tricky murder to solve, and neighbors are anxious and scared. Some openly wondered if a crazy maniac was loose in the nearby woods and what precautions they should take.

The KCSD’s official declaration of a homicide triggered an intensification of the police work launched on Friday when the body was found, reportedly by the grown daughter of the deceased, but it also ignited many fears in the residents. Over twenty volunteers of the King County Search and Rescue Department, along with several Sheriff’s deputies, descended upon the Cossey home and neighborhood, in particular to search a thick wildlife preserve that is directly opposite Cossey’s residence.

Nevertheless, Sgt Larson said that such a large-scale grounds search was SOP in a homicide investigation

But the lpresence of vehicles and volunteers parading up and down their streets brought the neighbors out is force, and they lingered with each other and reporters to discuss the unfolding drama.

During these conversations, neighbors told reporters that over 40 home robberies had occurred within the past year, and the recollection of a murder of a Woodinville real estate agent ten years ago in a home for sale is still fresh in people’s memories.

However, police said that they had not found any evidence that would suggest a similar tragedy had occurred again, and they advised community members to use “due diligence and common sense.”

“If you see something that doesn’t look right, give us a call right away,” Sgt Larson reassured neighbors.

The neighbors also said that Earl Cossey has lived at his home in the 15000 block of 192nd St in Woodville for at least 35 years with his wife, Debbie and their two children. However, Cossey and his wife divorced about a year ago, and the neighbors seemed genuinely shocked by this development in the Cossey marriage. Since the break-up, Cossey had lived alone.

Earl and his family were well-liked by their neighbors, and many remembered him fondly as being a teacher at the local Middle School that the “kids really liked.”

Some remembered that Cossey was a championship sky diver and they recalled how he would parachute into the playground at the Middle School on the last day of school every year.

Cossey’s wife was also described as an asset to the community, as she fixed the trails through the woodland preserve and was also a skilled counselor at the local high school.

One of the two children was a noted basketball star at her high school, and her brother appeared to be on site today, but declined to talk with reporters. At least one other family member seemed to be in attendance; however, Debbie Cossey was not observed and neighbors said she had left the Woodinville area when the Cossey’s divorced.

Ms. Cossey declined to talk to me when I called her on her cell phone, saying simply, “No thanks. We’re not talking to the news.”

Also, the family did not release the details of any funerary arrangements.

As for the police, they seemed disinterested in the connection between Earl Cossey and DB Cooper. However, I spoke with Sgt Cindi West, another PIO, for several minutes on the phone about Cossey’s relationship with the FBI and Norjak, and she said she was interested in this aspect of Earl’s life.

Cossey's phone and address have always been available publicly. And that info matches the scene of the murder. KOMO news is saying it's him, and they are known in Seattle as being a very reliable news source. Unfortunately, it looks like it might be Cossey.

(*says a few swear words and feels bad*) Whoever did this is going to friggin' pay. I never met the guy, but I'm sure he didn't deserve whatever happened to him. My money goes on either a burglar, a crackhead, or some friggin' Cooper Nut. My only caveat is that I hope Smokin99 is right somehow, and it's someone else who was in the house. But the daughter-discovery being mentioned makes it sound unlikely. Does anyone know if Cossey had a daughter? I know zip about his family.

Well first of all, I can't find anywhere that is definitively saying it's him, but I agree with Shutter that it looks more likely than not. That said......

You know I have stayed away from your posts because at times it looks like people are piling on, but I really can't believe that you posted this on another website... "This is extremely sad. And although there could be any number of reasons why Cossey was killed, there are a few things you should know. First, I'm the guy who wrote a recent book on DB Cooper titled 'Into The Blast'. And during my research on this book, I discovered two things. First, Cossey's address and phone have been unlisted and publicly available at Dex Knows for years. Second, there are a lot of 'Cooper Nuts' out there. I know, I have met many of them either personally or on the internet. Cossey often spoke to people on the phone about Cooper, depending on his mood, but he was generally known as a nice guy. I would first check his phone records, see if any calls come from people known to be working on the Cooper case. My sincerest sympathies to the family. If you want to see what Cooperland is all about, see my article at Newsvine here:" http://adventurebooks.newsvine.com/_news/2013/01/16/16519136-skyjacker-db-cooper-part-1-of-3-welcome-to-cooperland Really Blevins?

I'm sorry, but sometimes I seriously wonder about some of you guys..

I would say mainly wonder about Blevins. He uses this tragedy to pitch his book and article. Some of us have been saying all along that's why he's here. Now, he just proved it. Thanks for posting the Blevins quote -- it's only fitting the whole world should see the guy for who he really is. And he posts Cossey's home address to boot -- for what reason? Glory hound? How respectful is that?
Un-frickin'-believable!!

MeyerLouie

Blevins said:

I apologize if some of my posts and references were over the top back there. Guess I'm pretty upset. ... I feel pretty sad about the whole thing. And angry, I guess.

Let's look at the incredible rationalizations of Robert Blevins these past several hours. He logically reasons someone younger, not retired, must be living at said residence in Woodinville, since there was a basketball hoop (Wrong!!! Where does such logical incoherence come from?). He blurts out the Cossey home address for no good apparent reason -- other than to go to the front of the line in his opportunistic zeal to grab all the attention.

Then I find a post elsewhere (not on the forum) where, in his opportunistic zeal, takes advantage of the Cossey tragedy by plugging his book and his article -- all the while condemning Georger for being disrespectful of the Cossey tragedy.

Now, he comes to his senses and apologizes for all those "over the top" posts -- because he was sad, angry, and upset -- so sad, in fact, that he found a way to plug his book, to plug his article, and to totally disrespect the Cossey family whilst simultaneously condemning others for doing the same.

How does one reconcile such rationalizations and denials? The real Blevins is finally coming out, we're seeing the guy for who and what he really is. Un-frickin'-believable!

MeyerLouie

YEP! That was a GOOD one. Probably the OPERATOR - this one with NO computer training and dial-up connection.:|

No, actually, I meant MY operator error. I cut and pasted, but somehow I typed an extra word in the middle of the link. Fingers faster than the brain.
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

To whit: Cossey has maintained for four decades that he furnished the two back parachutes delivered to Sea-Tac airport on the night of November 24, 1971 as part of Cooper ransom package, but recently released FBI documents indicate that another person owned and delivered the parachutes, a Kent, WA pilot named Norman Hayden.

Further, Cossey has never explained - as he has long-claimed – why he sent the two back chutes to Boeing Field first and not Sea-Tac where the skyjacker awaited.

Did Cossey maintain all this or did it come from news reports? Just pulling up some archived news articles, I see a report that two of the chutes came from McChord AFB. My point being..... was it Cossey or inaccurate AP reports that just never got corrected? Or was he giving them the inaccurate info?
I wonder if his assertion that he PACKED all four chutes just somehow got translated to he owned/delivered all of them or two of them and he just never called back to correct the matter.
Not saying you're wrong -- maybe you've looked at all the articles that he's been quoted in to form your opinion. I will have to look at what he is actually attributed to having said versus what was "reported".

According to CKRET,
"Cossey actually packed all four chutes, the two back pack chutes were sold or given to the individual who sent them in the cab to Boeing field. Cossey also packed the reserve chutes, but they were provided not by Cossey but the owner of Issaquah Sky Sports. Cossey discovered the mistake later on."

Note from Smokin...From memory...I think the mistake referred to is the dummy chute, but I didn't read further at present time to confirm this.
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

According to CKRET,

"Cossey actually packed all four chutes, the two back pack chutes were sold or given to the individual who sent them in the cab to Boeing field. Cossey also packed the reserve chutes, but they were provided not by Cossey but the owner of Issaquah Sky Sports. Cossey discovered the mistake later on."

Note from Smokin...From memory...I think the mistake referred to is the dummy chute, but I didn't read further at present time to confirm this.

Further reading:

Just to keep everything factual; Issaquah Sky Sports was a club operation. All members were owners. It was not 'owned' by any one person.

Lynn Emerich ( RIP ) was the club Treasurer, collected the money, paid the bills and held the lease on the airport.

JerryBaumchen

From CKRET:

Thanks for clearing that up, and (according to the reports in the file) it was Emerich who gave out the chest chutes.

From Ckret to another poster:

I can only provide information available to me from the reports in the case files. Those reports state Cossey packed all four chutes, in fact the recovered chutes have his seal on them. Since the reserves and back pack's were delivered from two different places and the recovered chutes had Cossey's seal and his statement says he packed them, I can only report to you that he packed all four.

Ckret also mentions one chute being given back, this could give merit to the Hayden claim.......
I think it's on the locked thread, just seen it the other day.

Ckret Jan 1, 2008
"Yes we have the serial numbers and interviewd the rigger. One chute was returned to it's owner, two were never found and one is in evidence."
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

To prove my point about attribution and how even the most basic facts can get turned around on their heads in this case......

The above posts were posted on Dec 17, 2007. Then on June 14, 2008, Ckret posts this......

I want to make sure everyone understands that the instruction sheet offered to Cooper may or may not have come from Cossey.

I think it was a bit odd to offer instructions to Cooper when he made no request for them. And from what we now know the NB6 was altered to the point that even an experienced skydiver may have had difficulty with it. From this, I think that maybe Cossey knew this and wanted to warn anyone who my try to use it.

Total guess on my part, but the two backpacks came from Cossey, from Cossey's house. i don't think he had a manufactures instruction sheet laying around that he sent with them

Unless I'm reading posts wrong, this is a total contradiction by ckret of what he posted 6 months before. (Bold added by me)

Jeez....this from someone on the INSIDE. No wonder reporters just go with what they have...

And just scanning quickly, so far have found nothing to show that anyone on this thread challenged the inconsistent statement. Will keep reading and if I find differently, will post it.

Did Cossey maintain all this or did it come from news reports? Just pulling up some archived news articles, I see a report that two of the chutes came from McChord AFB. My point being..... was it Cossey or inaccurate AP reports that just never got corrected? Or was he giving them the inaccurate info?
I wonder if his assertion that he PACKED all four chutes just somehow got translated to he owned/delivered all of them or two of them and he just never called back to correct the matter.
Not saying you're wrong -- maybe you've looked at all the articles that he's been quoted in to form your opinion. I will have to look at what he is actually attributed to having said versus what was "reported".

According to CKRET,

Well there are various accounts, now, especially after
(documents of) the other gentleman surfaced
claiming ownership ... its very clear to me key facts of
the case have been botched by all kinds of self-
confirming people right from the beginning - 30 years
later Imposters/Opportunists start to surface to to fill
the void ...

Ckret talked personally with Cossey a number of
times.

Maybe Blevins has the Ckret Report in addition to the
Palmer Report, too!

B|

Ckret also mentions one chute being given back, this could give merit to the Hayden claim.......

Ckret Jan 1, 2008
"Yes we have the serial numbers and interviewd the rigger. One chute was returned to it's owner, two were never found and one is in evidence."

good find! It's important little details like this that cut through the MKULTRA Hoboism!

:S

To prove my point about attribution and how even the most basic facts can get turned around on their heads in this case......

The above posts were posted on Dec 17, 2007. Then on June 14, 2008, Ckret posts this......

I want to make sure everyone understands that the instruction sheet offered to Cooper may or may not have come from Cossey.

I think it was a bit odd to offer instructions to Cooper when he made no request for them. And from what we now know the NB6 was altered to the point that even an experienced skydiver may have had difficulty with it. From this, I think that maybe Cossey knew this and wanted to warn anyone who my try to use it.

Total guess on my part, but the two backpacks came from Cossey, from Cossey's house. i don't think he had a manufactures instruction sheet laying around that he sent with them

Unless I'm reading posts wrong, this is a total contradiction by ckret of what he posted 6 months before. (Bold added by me)

Jeez....this from someone on the INSIDE. No wonder reporters just go with what they have...

And just scanning quickly, so far have found nothing to show that anyone on this thread challenged the inconsistent statement. Will keep reading and if I find differently, will post it.

Keep in mind Ckret keeps saying he is getting his info
from reading 'the files'. So the contradictions are in
the files, presumably. Ckret then resorts to calling
Cossey personally - and posted back here ...

Im sorry but Im not going to look all of this up right
now. Im just kind of tired of all the personal bs one
has to put up with here ...

The news Bruce and Blevins didn't give you:

http://q13fox.com/2013/04/27/homicide-leads-to-warning-for-nearby-residents/#axzz2RmG3jPoY

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2013/04/body_found_in_washington_home.html

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Body-found-at-home-of-DB-Cooper-parachute-packer-4468172.php

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/04/26/2574781/king-county-detectives-investigate.html

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/D.B.-Cooper/1277861813

Personal accounts:

I can't believe this.

Earl Cossey, a former junior high school teacher of mine in my hometown of Woodinville, Washington (an east side suburb outside Seattle) was found dead by his daughter last night in his garage. Police found head trauma and have declared as of today that the case is officially a homicide.

Mr. Cossey was also a professional parachute jumper and was involved in the 1971 DB Cooper case. He was one of two men who supplied parachutes for the FBI to give to Cooper at Sea-Tac airport during the Thanksgiving Eve skyjacking.

I had him in 7th grade for my Airsports class... where he taught us about the history and engineering of planes and rockets, and we built them as models. And he was so passionate when he told us his story about be being involved in the Cooper case. He also showed us the old 70's DB Cooper episode of "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy that also featured Cossey explaining the parachutes and Cooper's jump.

He was a very friendly man and had a great sense of humor. He always had us laughing. My sisters and I are shocked by the news of this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. He will be truly missed.

And I hope his killer is brought to justice soon!

------------------------------------------------------

Smokin99's remarks above include the statement that Ckret said the two back parachutes came from Cossey's house.

That is probably CORRECT. Most of the emergency parachute riggers I have known over the years DID operate from their houses.

The last rigger I knew before retiring from flying had a large house with a really nice finished semi-basement (this is an Arizona thing and not a complete basement as people in other parts of the country would call them) that included his repacking tables and equipment plus sewing machines for doing specialized work related to parachuting and aircraft emergency equipment.

He took great care of my Butler emergency parachute for several years and bought it from me the day after I retired from flying.

So my reading of all of the above is that the chest packs were owned by and provided by the sports parachute center. And it is probably the source of the instruction sheet.

Also, Cossey owned one of the backpacks, the one that Cooper used, and that Hayden owned the other one, which was returned to Hayden. It was probably in Cossey's possession for him to repack it. So in view of the urgency of the FBI request, Cossey sent them both to SEATAC by a Sheriff's deputy or a Washington State Policeman.

Finally, Cossey packed all four of the parachutes. I see no problem with Cossey's connection with the parachutes. In fact, I see no problem with the FBI's parachute story at all. The parachute "problems" seem to originate from people who have never seen one up close. And yes, I am referring to Blevins.

In other news, the sun came up on schedule this morning, it is still shinning, no clouds in the sky, etc..

Robert99

Ckret Jan 1, 2008

good find! It's important little details like this that cut through the MKULTRA Hoboism!

1. One Chute was returned to the owner (Cossey or Hayden - that is a toss up) but presumably Cossey but then Hayden claimed it was his. Did Cossey just pack the chutes and Hayden owned them? That is what I understood from Cossey and Hayden yrs ago, but hell - I didn't know a front pac from a back pac.

2. The chute the FBI has is a front pack with the cords cut as this is how Cooper secured his 'package' per my understanding. This would be the chute in evidence.

3. The dummy pac - did Cooper use that or did he devise a container out of it. Is that why he cut the cords and what chute did Cooper cut the cords from. The dummy pac was missing and why they thought Cooper died - because of an unworkable front chute.

4. Would someone do this and account for each Chute using 1-4 numbers and title (back chute or front chute). DUMB ole me can't seem to make it add up.

According to the sources over the yrs. Cossey packed the two back-pacs and presumably Hayden owned them. That is still a scrambled. One day I will dig up my notes and figure this one out. I have notes I made during and after phone conversations with each both Hayden and Cossey.

The front packs - the emergency chutes came to the airport by courier and from another locations - refresh my mind - what was that LOCATION? McChord? Was this not what caused the delay? - The front chutes? Who packed the front chutes?
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Smokin99's remarks above include the statement that Ckret said the two back parachutes came from Cossey's house.

That is probably CORRECT. Most of the emergency parachute riggers I have known over the years DID operate from their houses.

The last rigger I knew before retiring from flying had a large house with a really nice finished semi-basement (this is an Arizona thing and not a complete basement as people in other parts of the country would call them) that included his repacking tables and equipment plus sewing machines for doing specialized work related to parachuting and aircraft emergency equipment.

He took great care of my Butler emergency parachute for several years and bought it from me the day after I retired from flying.

So my reading of all of the above is that the chest packs were owned by and provided by the sports parachute center. And it is probably the source of the instruction sheet.

Also, Cossey owned one of the backpacks, the one that Cooper used, and that Hayden owned the other one, which was returned to Hayden. It was probably in Cossey's possession for him to repack it. So in view of the urgency of the FBI request, Cossey sent them both to SEATAC by a Sheriff's deputy or a Washington State Policeman.

Finally, Cossey packed all four of the parachutes. I see no problem with Cossey's connection with the parachutes. In fact, I see no problem with the FBI's parachute story at all. The parachute "problems" seem to originate from people who have never seen one up close. And yes, I am referring to Blevins.

In other news, the sun came up on schedule this morning, it is still shinning, no clouds in the sky, etc..

Robert99

Agree. In addition the kid who took Cossey's class is
very specific in saying what Cossey told the class,
quote:

"He was one of two men who supplied parachutes for
the FBI to give to Cooper at Sea-Tac airport during the
Thanksgiving Eve skyjacking. "

Keywords: "one of two men...".

I think that reference is to Cossey and Hayden. So no
contradiction or MKULTRA conspiracy there.

Actually I could ask the informant and get a clear answer ... I will try.

What I'm suggesting based on common sense with
out some ulterior conspiracy theory involved: is that
when all of the different facts and versions are
combined it does lead to a consistent cohesive
account of what parachutes were acquired from who,
when and in what order, Hayden got his unused chute
back, and chutes being given at Isssaqua (sp?) and
from Cossey personally, all fit what actually happened
- given that the Air Force failed to provide chutes for
whatever reason.

That Hayden had to go to Court to get his chute back
is a separate matter, just as the Ingram's went to
Court (Tosaw their attorney), to get some part of the
Tena Bar money. Brian's mother was always insistent
that Brian (or the Ingrams) were going to get a reward
one way or another! (The full story of that has never
been published so far as I know). The Ingrams
persisted and get Brian his "reward".

And the rest is all so-called journalist gobblewobble.

Ckret Jan 1, 2008

1. One Chute was returned to the owner (Cossey or Hayden - that is a toss up) but presumably Cossey but then Hayden claimed it was his. Did Cossey just pack the chutes and Hayden owned them? That is what I understood from Cossey and Hayden yrs ago, but hell - I didn't know a front pac from a back pac.

2. The chute the FBI has is a front pack with the cords cut as this is how Cooper secured his 'package' per my understanding. This would be the chute in evidence.

3. The dummy pac - did Cooper use that or did he devise a container out of it. Is that why he cut the cords and what chute did Cooper cut the cords from. The dummy pac was missing and why they thought Cooper died - because of an unworkable front chute.

4. Would someone do this and account for each Chute using 1-4 numbers and title (back chute or front chute). DUMB ole me can't seem to make it add up.

According to the sources over the yrs. Cossey packed the two back-pacs and presumably Hayden owned them. That is still a scrambled. One day I will dig up my notes and figure this one out. I have notes I made during and after phone conversations with each both Hayden and Cossey.

The front packs - the emergency chutes came to the airport by courier and from another locations - refresh my mind - what was that LOCATION? McChord? Was this not what caused the delay? - The front chutes? Who packed the front chutes?

Frankly, it's not important that you know or
understand anything! Why? It avoids endless
complications now and later -
:D

Robert99 states:

:PJo states: The 2 back pacs were delivered by Cossey or other sources.

Robert99 states:

:(Jo States:
Robert READ what you stated above. The front pac IS the emergency pac! Perhaps you made a mistake - but as far as I know the emergency pac (the front pacs) were NOT supplied by Cossey.

This is exactly why this is case is so screwed up. He said and she said and journalist screwing up and posters making mistakes.

So NOW U are trying to say the emergency front pacs were supplied by COSSEY! He was a man of a few CHOICE words and I can only imagine what he might have to say about this.

When the front pacs were found they were delivered by courier, but it was my understanding they came from McChord or another location. The name of the young man who made the mistake was publicize, but long forgotten by me.

Robert stated:
Finally, Cossey packed all four of the parachutes. I see no problem with Cossey's connection with the parachutes.

;)Jo States:
ARE you POSITIVE Cossey packed all 4 chutes. You might shoot yourself in the foot on that one. There was a story about the emergency front pacs and the location from which they were retrived. The man mistakenly provided a dummy chute from the supply room - at a different location and that was not Cossey's home.

Do not know who packed the front pac (emergency chutes).

Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

I noticed everyone claiming "someone" packed all 4 chutes? there was on 3 chutes that were functional, where did the 4th packed chute go? or did the dummy get in the mix up when delivering them?

Ckret also claims that the dummy chute had a white canopy in it, I thought they were filled with foam among other things. could the chute have been a working chute, and someone wrote dummy chute on it? just a thought......
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Robert99 states:

:PJo states: The 2 back pacs were delivered by Cossey or other sources.

Robert99 states:

:(Jo States:
Robert READ what you stated above. The front pac IS the emergency pac! Perhaps you made a mistake - but as far as I know the emergency pac (the front pacs) were NOT supplied by Cossey.

This is exactly why this is case is so screwed up. He said and she said and journalist screwing up and posters making mistakes.

So NOW U are trying to say the emergency front pacs were supplied by COSSEY! He was a man of a few CHOICE words and I can only imagine what he might have to say about this.

When the front pacs were found they were delivered by courier, but it was my understanding they came from McChord or another location. The name of the young man who made the mistake was publicize, but long forgotten by me.

Robert stated:
Finally, Cossey packed all four of the parachutes. I see no problem with Cossey's connection with the parachutes.

;)Jo States:
ARE you POSITIVE Cossey packed all 4 chutes. You might shoot yourself in the foot on that one. There was a story about the emergency front pacs and the location from which they were retrived. The man mistakenly provided a dummy chute from the supply room - at a different location and that was not Cossey's home.

Do not know who packed the front pac (emergency chutes).

Jo, I have included your entire post above since you, when some of your errors are pointed out, have a habit of going back and changing your original post and then claiming you never made the original statements.

I was not replying to your post since it was made after my reply to Georger and Smokin99's post was already on the thread. So your "corrections" are nonsense.

While I realize that you probably already have had this information for years in your files out in the garage, in Skydiving the front pack (back in my day) was called the "reserve" parachute. The word "emergency" parachute is usually used only for the back pack (if no front pack is involved) and it must be packed by a certified rigger such as Cossey.

In the Skydiving operations I was involved with, the front "reserve" parachute had to be packed by a certified rigger and the back pack could be, and usually was, packed by the jumper.

Read my original post above for the other information you seek if you really want some answers.

Finally, read Georger's final paragraph above in response to one of your posts.

Robert99

I noticed everyone claiming "someone" packed all 4 chutes? there was on 3 chutes that were functional, where did the 4th packed chute go? or did the dummy get in the mix up when delivering them?

Ckret also claims that the dummy chute had a white canopy in it, I thought they were filled with foam among other things. could the chute have been a working chute, and someone wrote dummy chute on it? just a thought......

Regardless of what was in the dummy chute, Cossey apparently did all the packing for the emergency back pack parachutes, and for the reserve chest packs that were required to be packed by a certified rigger, in that locality.

It would seem logical that if a chest pack was only going to be used for ground training, the canopy would be removed and replaced by a beach towel or some such thing and the contained marked "dummy" or words to that effect.

The training container could be something straight out of the trash barrel. No point in using $40 bucks worth of airworthy equipment for a dummy trainer.

Robert99

Hi georger,

He was a very friendly man and had a great sense of humor. He always had us laughing.

How true. He was just a fun guy to be around.

I cannot begin to number the contests that Earl & I competed in back in the 60's - 70's. He was always upbeat, whether he was winning or not.

I have not seen him in ~20+ years but we would occasionally talk on the phone.

Blues skies, Coss.

JerryBaumchen

Regardless of what was in the dummy chute, Cossey apparently did all the packing for the emergency back pack parachutes, and for the reserve chest packs that were required to be packed by a certified rigger, in that locality.

It would seem logical that if a chest pack was only going to be used for ground training, the canopy would be removed and replaced by a beach towel or some such thing and the contained marked "dummy" or words to that effect.

The training container could be something straight out of the trash barrel. No point in using $40 bucks worth of airworthy equipment for a dummy trainer.

Robert99

After many attempts to decipher and render order from Bruce's article, I gave up!

See it here:

http://themountainnewswa.net/2011/10/25/db-cooper-case-heats-up-again-with-controversy-over-parachute

The controversy (if there is one!) starts here:

"But author Geoffrey Gray states that the two back
parachutes were owned by a Kent, Washington
businessman named Norman George Hayden, and
that Mr. Cossey only inspected and packed the
parachutes for Mr. Hayden.This parachute owned by
Norman Hayden is now the center of a DB Cooper
controversy. In addition, Gray cites a FBI document
that specifically identifies Hayden as the owner of the
back parachutes."

[Note* says back packs .... not front reserves...]?

I snipped the rest of what I had written to try and
uncomplicate things ...