47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Farf wrote

Damn, it’s all so obvious if only you people would think, I just want you to think.

Reminds me of my high school English teacher who screamed at the whole class: "I just want you to THINK dammit."

She went on to rant: "You are just SPONGES. You soak up what I say and when I ask you for your own thoughts you just squeeze the sponge and give me back my own words."

If she werent an old straightlaced white haired lady I'd have wondered if she had snorted a little too much coke or speed.

Farf, if we find the chute you'll be amazed at how quickly the Kenny and Duane stories will morph to account for it.

I want that chute. What a fine Cooper momento it would make. If Jerry finds it maybe I can trade a slice of my Cooper twenty for a piece of the canopy. With today's price of gold Jerry is probably too busy mining to post here.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

CCharger wrote about Amazon

But it is clear that it is impossible to discuss facts with someone who claims they can "feel" the tide.

If you are tied to dock in a boat with a lot of keel you can feel tidal flow. It heels the boat a little bit (roll axis tilt). It also strains or slackens certain dock lines.

You cant feel slow tides' vertical acceleration, but you sure can feel the current push under the right conditions.

Ya feel me bro?;)

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

You're wrong again.

In these charts, these are observations made from the The Dalles which last I checked is quite far from the estuary.

But it is clear that it is impossible to discuss facts with someone who claims they can "feel" the tide.

Am I saying that the Columbia River is bi-directional? No. All I am saying that given the right circumstances, the Columbia can flow backwards.

Ewer lived on a boat on a river???... you FEEL every ship passing.. you FEEL every small boat passing... you FEEL the flow of the river. if you are at anchor out on the river... you swing with the flow or with the wind... whichever is strongest.

You can look out and see the fins of fish breaking the surface as they head upriver... you can hear the river otters... you can see the other animals that inhabit the riparian environment.

How much tide is there at the Dalles???

I am new to these forums and have never skydived, so I have a question. Cooper was jumping from around 10K feet and the plane was moving at around 200 mph. When people jump from planes, they don't fall straight down. Some forward momentum propels them forward as they fall.

Given the accepted conditions for the jump (speed, height, wind, drift) how far would Cooper have been "thrown forward" from his jump point to his impact point (assuming his chute never opened)?

No problem, a warm welcome to the forum! I jumped from a DC 9 jet from 14,000 ft. You do get a fwd throw but your forward velocity bleeds off rapidly due to body drag. I freefell to 3000 ft. By the time I was at 10,000 feet it looked like I was falling straight down. Forward throw wont be much of a factor in the Cooper jump.

I watched later DC 9 jumps from the ground. I'd make a rough guess that jumpers forward throw after exit was less than 1000 yards. Just a very rough guess. It can be calculated if you want exact numbers. I was told that on my jump we were doing 180 knots.

The hijacked aircraft was actually doing about 225 MPH True Airspeed when Cooper jumped. The maximum "forward throw" would be if Cooper was a no pull. In that case, he would be on the ground about 40 seconds after jumping. My guess is that 377's estimate of 1000 yards is a good one.

The calculation of the trajectories of falling bodies is not as simple as I (for one) would hope. There is very little information in the public technical literature on the subject. I strongly suspect that there is a lot more information in restricted sources and especially those that deal with things that go boom at the end of their flight.

Robert99

you have been discredited over and over Bob........ end of story.
why have you been hiding and not mentioning names????

I have said all that needed to be said. I'm not beating a drum, simply bringing up what happened for anyone who really cares. Not hiding, not 'giving up', just letting you make an ass of yourself. My credibility is fine, it is your agenda that is suspect. You see, I know things you swear are not true. That discredits YOU without question.

then I guess you have no need to post again since you have said all you can!!!

I know things you you say are true that turn out not the case, so by your thoughts this discredits you, word games are fun Bobby, but they still don't make you tell the truth!
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Sorry, misunderstood what you meant by "feel".

There is no tide at The Dalles. Never said that. You said the chart was for the flow at the estuary. It's not. It was based on observations of the flow much farther away.

The tide affects the flow of the Columbia. Not drastically, but it does. At least enough to push a few packets of bills downstream a mile or two. That is why it was discovered along the tide line on shore.

Now, if DB did survive and bury the money on Tena Bar, the question is why? If I have thousands of dollars, I am NOT going to bury it on someone else private property feet from the water.

So what would be the motivation for someone (DB or someone else) to put it there?

Correct on the flow of the Columbia. So low discharge + a high tide could reverse the flow.

It would not be like Niagra suddenly jumping up the falls.

The issue of tides and back flow is academic. You
must show these affects apply to the Tena Bar
money in a particular window (time, date, location,
etc). Backflow on the Columbia in the T_Bar area
is not a strong force, as I understand it? The
primary force in tide as it would apply at the
shoreline is flotation-lift ?

The Fazio's claimed the money had arrived with
the tide, precisely on the tide line. The tide is not
a surge effect but a constant low-grade force. Does
the tide actually move stuff around at Tena Bar? I
have no idea -

(Farf): If there is a forensic match between
something in the money and something in the
Tena Bar dredge debris, then you must account
for the coincidence.

Behind and above the Ingram find was a retention
ditch on Fazio's property. Rain washed things into
that ditch which at least on paper had the potential
to contaminate evertyhing below and down-flow of
it. Is there evidence of the retention ditch and its
contents in the money, in that agri setting?

The tide affects the flow of the Columbia. Not drastically, but it does. At least enough to push a few packets of bills downstream a mile or two. That is why it was discovered along the tide line on shore.

Bradley, hydrologist, 1980, stated the Columbia flow
rate at 3 feet per second.

The amazing thing to me in this whole discussion -
all these years! - is that stuff does get to Tena Bar
as a regular fact of life. And yet, nobody has yet
specified the regular route(s).

Maybe 1000 yellow rubber ducks with long streamers
(or DZ posters) need to be floated down the
Columbia to see which ones show up on Tena Bar,
and where on Tena Bar, and by what route(s)!

Basic science. Mythbusters style.

Yes it does but the effects in that part of the river is lift... not flow. The flow continues to the north downstream, in the main stream of the river the slough that the old marina was in.. did flow upstream ( INTO the slough) as the tide rose.. ONLY because it was a closed system... the flow in the channel around the marina at Caterpillar Island was always one way.. down stream even as the water level rose with the tide.. or with the outflow from Bonneville at different parts of the day based on electric generation. High water flows occurred causing the water to flow faster during and after storms.. or during floods during the winter.

I would love to see someone PROVE that money could get washed upstream from the mouth of the Lewis River/Lake River. That would be more than just a couple miles by river. Physics is against that possibility as well as personal observation and a hell of a lot of money for gas to make my boat go upriver in that very stretch of the river.

Georger asks:

If there is a forensic match between
for the coincidence.

contents in the money, in that agri setting?”

I couldn’t agree more with the statement, it is the process which I have issues with.

First, when I hear hoof-beats, I thing horses before zebras. This is the mnemonic which drives my thought processes, analysis and bullshit filtration. Silver was discovered on some of the money so……. what narrows the scope? Silver Nitrate? Sure I guess, was there nitric acid or some other inorganic matter which would point to the fingerprinting chemicals? Is silver nitrate MOST commonly used in fingerprint analysis versus something more pedestrian, like hair dyes or photographic processing, which would offer a higher percentage of exposure to the chemical? Why is this, the only research report I’ve read that doesn’t have a laundry list of tested and failed components? If cow pee-pee was tested, then it should be in the report, I didn’t see anything which proves that bovine urine wasn’t a culprit and what a shame if someone tests that theory in the future. But just doing things randomly makes people happy, so a second or third look into a container of cow waste is no big offense here, and I has a suspicion that some people just enjoy looking at the stuff anyway.

I’m just seeing a semi-justified, random walk which is, poorly documented thus causing confusion where there should be none or at least less. Why are exemplar bills on the Bureau of Engraving and Printing website colored black which were buried? Why isn’t this documented condition eliminated before looking at fingerprint chemicals or animal tinkle?

If the money would turn black while buried away from sources of silver nitrate and cow number one, then what drives or delineates checking other agents in the environment which may or will cause currency to blacken? This is what I don’t understand.

Georger asks:

If there is a forensic match between
for the coincidence.

QUESTION: Was not the trench from the Retention pond - WEST of the money find? When I was out there in 2000 I could see a tributary or ditch to the West of the House and to the West of the money find. Perhaps that little tributary or drain ditch was NOT the retention ditch you guys are talking about.

IF it was the money had to go against the current! I do know that the map someone presented was NOT accurate as to the way the property appeared from the river in 2000.

I disputed this but NO one heard me because JT was down my throat. The shape of the house on the map presented was not the shape of the house I saw on the river and the parking area was East of the house with the road being North of the house.

Pehaps some one should post up the maps with dates on them.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

QUESTION: Was not the trench from the Retention pond - WEST of the money find? When I was out there in 2000 I could see a tributary or ditch to the West of the House and to the West of the money find. Perhaps that little tributary or drain ditch was NOT the retention ditch you guys are talking about.

IF it was the money had to go against the current! I do know that the map someone presented was NOT accurate as to the way the property appeared from the river in 2000.

I disputed this but NO one heard me because JT was down my throat. The shape of the house on the map presented was not the shape of the house I saw on the river and the parking area was East of the house with the road being North of the house.

Jo, You do understand that the Columbia River runs almost straight north and south at the Fazio property don't you? "Downstream" is to the north and "upstream" is to the south.

The NW Lower River Road runs north and south also. Presumably, you are referring to the parking lot by the sand operation which is south of the driveway to the house.

Robert99

OK, so I’ve had to set my expectations before running out to the field to sample some farm tank.

It’s a force of habit in the private sector where unlimited or assigned budgets are relatively rare. But this is just a little more information which is based upon some ‘reasonable’ assumptions.

I would expect that silver nitrate laced bills, would show the greatest degree of blackening and a pseudo random distribution, throughout the stacks. Make sense?

The urine soaked money would (should) have a markedly different distribution since there is a macro migration of silver(?) tainted cow piss passing through the money burial site. Again I have to assume that silver is a component in cattle wee, since there isn’t anything identified as a component of the stuff. I would have assumed nitrates to be present, but since the CS report makes no mention of the stuff, outside a casual conversation, that’s all I got.

The playing cards represent bundles of Cooper money, buried on Tena Bar, which have been separated in a sequential fashion.

Another great poster Farf. You have a knack for using graphics to explain concepts.

It's been a while since you've had any hot nuns gracing your artwork. Have you gotten religious or married or has some similar moral cleansing or censorship occurred?

The issue of the money cannot be solved until someone can pinpoint where DB bailed. If we know he bailed over the Columbia then we can pretty much assume what happened.

So. Where did he bail? The assumed time has been 8:13 when the crew felt the pressure bump. But wash that 8:13:00, 8:13:30, or 8:13:59? Traveling at 225 mph, even 30 seconds amounts to nearly 2 miles difference.

Nevertheless, the time of 8:13 puts DB bailout somehwhere just west of Battleground, WA. Given, a 1000 yard "forward push", in a "no pull" scenario, DB would have come down somewhere near Salmon Creek.

Considering the Salmon Creek flows into Lake River almost directly behind Tena Bar, it seems as if the pieces fit.

The only bugger is how did the money get over to the OTHER side of Tena Bar? My guess, as I have said is some funky hydraulics that pushed some of the money back down to the south.

I would like to know how long it would take for a bag of money to float down the Salmon River from Battleground.

Jo,

Blevins book is free. No cost. How can you characterize that as a commercial exploitation?

I don't understand the venom. Blevins somehow is a venom magnet. I just don't feel the pull. You, Georger and many others do.

It is almost like there is a HUGE misplaced personal fear, he might be right, and that would make a few look foolish.

Me, I'm going to Mexico, Cabo Wabo, and have a beer with a near 90 year old expat, Paratrooper, SF type. Seems more plausible to me.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

"This would have been the safest way to do it. I can't prove this theory"

how could you say that was the "safest way" without any proof of it? if you told me it has been done this way, then yes.
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Jo, You do understand that the Columbia River runs almost straight north and south at the Fazio property don't you? "Downstream" is to the north and "upstream" is to the south.

The NW Lower River Road runs north and south also. Presumably, you are referring to the parking lot by the sand operation which is south of the driveway to the house.

Robert99

Since I don't live there I did NOT know that and just never even thought about it. Perhaps why some who do live there didn't understand what I was saying.

So since you seemed to know the location - please assist me with this. No wonder NO one understood what I was trying to say. The location we parked was behind the gate at its location in 1979.... I assumed that looking out from that point looking out at the river I was looking South..but was it DEAD WEST at that point? In other words looking across the river from the old gate of 1979 - the house was to the right but further toward the river than the place we parked. Someone help me out with this.

Thank You - :)

QUESTION: Was not the trench from the Retention pond - WEST of the money find? (Perhaps this should state on the opposite side of the house from the gate? No wonder NO one GOT it!

The tributary I saw if that was the drain ditch as viewed from the river looking toward the back of the house was on my left.

Does the above rewording help any?I still do not know the directions from that point.

Now does that help you understand my question?

I don't disagree with going down the stairs backwards, even the stuntman in the movie went down backwards, what he did past that point is all theory, I would tend to believe a jumper for implying how the safest way to do it was, but, it is still all theory. best case scenario would fit better than "the safest way"

I don't disagree with going down the stairs backwards, even the stuntman in the movie went down backwards, what he did past that point is all theory, I would tend to believe a jumper for implying how the safest way to do it was, but, it is still all theory. best case scenario would fit better than "the safest way"

Even as old and decrepit as I am.. I could do that jump and survive.. given the same gear. AND the same conditions. THOUSANDS of US Army Air Corp personnel saved their lives by bailing from their shot up aircraft .. many of them in far worse weather with aircraft far harder to get out of. Most of them ended up as POW's.

Even as old and decrepit as I am.. I could do that jump and survive.. given the same gear. AND the same conditions. THOUSANDS of US Army Air Corp personnel saved their lives by bailing from their shot up aircraft .. many of them in far worse weather with aircraft far harder to get out of. Most of them ended up as POW's.

agreed, let me ask this, how would you have done the jump? and what would you have done with the "X" chute?