47 47
quade

DB Cooper

I would ask people to trust me that I have no hidden agenda. In fact, while musing about Cooper and his motivations/planning etc, muse on how you have no idea what my motivations might be, my sources of information, or when I am lying or telling the truth. I really have no direct experience other than web searching.

All I can say is I am just interested in the answer. And my experience tells me I may be wrong a lot, but I'm sort of a shotgun. If I get close, then maybe others can narrow the target to the correct one.

Yes I may be off the wall. But that might help stimulate thought processes. So hopefully not a waste of time.

two thoughts on airliner:
Dash 80

free associate on that.

as an example of shotgun thinking: Rather than "savior", Cooper could have been "disciple of savior"...i.e. the mental states/knowledge can be transferred among a tight group easily, causing the personalities to be intermingled.

What is the likely plane? A Big Doug? DC 6?

It is more difficult to investigate the Kennedy family than your average airline employee. Police don't lose their jobs for talking to aircraft employees.

Sure but I think you missed the point, from what I understood they were immediately looking for an outsider even before suspicion of Skakel. The point was that people don't think it could be "our kind" who do bad things - in terms of the Himmelsbach quote.

btw among those who think Mayfield is a better suspect than anyone else, there is an interesting line of thinking that Himmelsbach was in on it. It's quite a pity in a broader sense I think (for those of us without agendas anyway) that the people backing "other horses" seem to have been hounded out of here (like awsee in the other thread), no-one has any better "evidence" than anyone else and there are some interesting other theories out there. it's not like there is only one suspect in the case, as much as certain people would like us to believe that.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I still don’t know the name (or rules) for this game, but since no one else will play, I shall continue, but I expect some feedback!

I'm frigging amazed by your height/weight estimate.
I don't know the subject's data at that point, but I'm really interested in how you could just whip off an estimate like that. ***

It was once part of my job. I used to fit people into uniforms.

***What if I said the subject was intensely involved in a big project during the years preceding 1971. Would that lower your weight estimate for 1971? i.e. he was working in the commercial industry in 1971, but maybe military in '54 (more relaxed then, military food etc..whatever I dunno)

Not at all! This is an individual who is self-conscious about being considered “effeminate” (especially during childhood). (Probably just high prolactin levels in his mother during pregnancy). He participated is sports, even though his heart wasn’t in it. As he got older, there was no options (no Gold’s Gym in the 50s and 60s). If he was a work-a-holic, it probably increased his body weight (due to adrenal secretions). Life can be cruel.

Describe the tie bar subject A might have been wearing in 1954 and the tie bar he might have been wearing in 1971.

I can only go by my experience at a much lower socio-economic level than this guy. Usually a male received a tie-bar and cuff-links at the same time (birthday, Father’s Day, etc.) Often the cuff-links were for “French Cuffs” and, hence, totally useless to someone who own no shirts with French Cuffs. The tie clasp would be of the “Club” type. A shield (non-specific coat-of-arms), small semi-precious stone. Of course if the individual had some affiliation (Masons, Lions, SERTOMA, WOW, etc.) that would be on the Tie clasp. I don’t see a major shift in “Tie-Bar fashion” between 1954 and 1971.

Now, where are you going with this?

Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

...um, you?

Yep. I have a suspect, my uncle, who once told me he did it. Then he took out a twenty and showed it to me. I went over to Tosaw's book, and I found a match. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I then kept the 20 for myself and put it away in a "safe" place.

I then came on here, and am spending time deciphering clues... just waiting for the right moment to tell the world, MY UNCLE WAS DAN COOPER.

Good one Orange. Good one. You're a laugh riot sometimes.

theory: tiebar was a false clue (i.e. opposite to personality)

facts: no other evidence was left behind. Cooper was careful to retrieve notes. Didn't leave bomb even though of no value any more for escape.

suppositions:
I was looking for similar pictures of that tiebar on the web (period pieces). Couldn't find any, even though many vintage pieces were there.

Got me thinking that it would be someone that would be somewhat of a dandy, or effeminate even, to wear which would be odd for the person in the composite FBI sketch [yes I am using stereotypes/bias]

I used to go to a Catholic school in the late 60's and wear a tie every day, from ages 6 to 13. I would rummage thru my dad's drawer for a tieclip. They were always the rectangular blocky ones in those days. He never had a tie bar like that thin thing with mother of pearl.

In fact, a lot of males would worry about being called "gay" based on military experience taunts. My dad used to try to pass such taunts on to me, as I was the generation starting to grow long hair.

So I was wondering "Hmm maybe part of tight social community not infiltrated by FBI"...Seattle gay community was just emerging then in 1971 publicly...there was an attempt at a gay civil marriage ceremony also in '71 in Seattle. Stonewall was '69 in NY.

But then I chewed on that idea some more, and am comfortable more with the theory that a studly type (because of some aviation experience) actually picked something that would be totally against his grain...i.e. it was an attempt to disguise.

It might have been left behind on purpose as a false clue.

One thing that Ckret and I disagree on (not the only thing, mind you), is I think the tie was left behing as a calling-card, trophy exchange, etc. Ckret does not.

That's just conjecture on my part, however.

Now, who wears clip-on ties (in 1971)?

Security guards
Waiters and other food service personnel
People who have seldom worn a tie (Twice, I have had adults who have never worn a real tie {exculding women} ask me to (or tech them how to) tie a tie. They all had been wearing clip-ons previously.)
(Some) Law Enforce Personnel

Anybody have more...?

Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

pilots? is it common for commercial pilots to wear clip on ties and remove them while in the cockpit? just wondering.

Now, who wears clip-on ties (in 1971)?

Security guards
Waiters and other food service personnel
People who have seldom worn a tie (Twice, I have had adults who have never worn a real tie {exculding women} ask me to (or tech them how) tie a tie. They all had been wearing clip-ons previously.)
(Some) Law Enforce Personnel

Anybody have more...?

Sluggo_Monster

Okay Ckret,

Jump in here!

I’m sure the FBI has a super-secret vault somewhere in the bowels of Quantico, where information about what type of person wears a clip-on tie is kept, requiring a ByeMan clearance just to qualify for the two-man rule , so they can make a pass at the vault’s Storage and Accountability Clerk.

Fess up, what’s in that vault?

Sluggo_Monster

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] ;)

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

Man, that picture looks like Wayne Newton. First we have a composite sketch of Bing Crosby, Now a Wayne Newton look-alike in an amature photo, who's next? I think it's safe to say we can rule out Sammy Davis- He's too short.

Sorry, Bad day protecting the world from Terrorists, and i could not resist posting my first reaction of when i saw the pic. Please don't ban me Quade, I'll be good.

A friend and I were talking about intra-company networking once. It seems like he said that there were 6 aircraft plants with 100,000 employees in Portland at one point.

Portland? or Seattle?

Clarification please.

da Slug

If I remember correctly, Portland, Oregon. The conversation was a while ago.

Convenient distance -
The basic idea is that it is the Pacific NW and not too far a drive to go participate, but get home by Monday.

Survival skills -
A lot of outdoorsmen. Hikers, campers, etc - who spent their lives in the woods.

Motive -
Layoff, or just irritation. Motive does not require logic.
People like to theorize criminals as some kinds of "masterminds" who outsmart the world. Rare.

Aircraft knowledge -
That is a large boatload of people with the knowledge of how a 727 is constructed.

Escape -
Drive back across the state line and reappear on Monday for work. Probably 300 Boeing employees look like that picture. Or, just head for Mexico on your 2-week vacation.

Money laundering -
Mexican resorts aren't testing cash for serial numbers.
Buy a boat and retire.

Motive -

Motive does not require logic.

I disagree with this.

The action ALWAYS makes sense in the mind of the person that does it. ALWAYS.

Think about the most vile despicable person in history you can think of. It doesn't really matter what the person did, whatever he did made sense to him at the time.

Hitler and the Holocaust? Yep.

Pol Pot? Yep.

Jeffery Dahmer? Yep.

It doesn't have to make sense to YOU, but it absolutely has to make sense in the mind of the person that does it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Snow,

Good call on Dash 80. The 1955 date had me thinking non jet, but that Boeing prototype was flying long before the 707 airliner hit the mkt. I heard the Dash 80 was recently flown on a ferry flight to some museum after sitting idle for many years.

Been pinging a lot of sources and so far just Boeing shows up as having available info on in flight 727 door-stair deployment in 71.

I am no shrink, but if Cooper was lonely, depressed and in deep debt, he probably didnt care too much if he lived or died. In that case, stepping off the stairs may not have been as daunting as it would have been to someone in good spirits. If he died, OK. If he lived he'd have enough to get out of the crushing debt that was dragging him down.

Ckret knows way better than I do, but in my experience bank robbers rarely got even a fraction of Cooper's haul. Most of the the cases I saw in fed court were under $20K, often far under.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I actually have to go to a 4 day dog trial starting thurs.
[edit] it's agility. I have border collies. It's mostly women there and they never talk to me so I don't talk to them (I'm married) so it's going to be pretty boring for me till next Monday when I'll check in.

And I put off doing my taxes cause I got sucked into this.
I've done a bunch of climbing/mountaineering. Although I'm not a jumper, I think I identified with the folks here because, with risk sports, it's not about bragging about putting the gun in your mouth,
(I'm just being euphemistic about taking risks)
it's about being able to take it out!

And therein lies the secret to life.. I know for me, I can imagine most anything being possible, cause when faced with a life-or-death decision, you just keeping putting one foot in front of the other. i.e. as long as you don't stop, you stay alive. So it doesn't have to be all that rational. You just keep making the next logical decision. You have to be in that situation to understand it I think. ...but lots of folk (especially military) on this thread can probably tell bigger stories than me!

Now I'm sure there's a lot of elders who can recognize a whuffo whuff...So I'll shut up now. Please no flames!

So even though I'm a whuffo, I do share a feeling for why you guys jump. Maybe someday for me..who knows. I hear all the old farts here say they still do it.

like I said to 377, this whuffo learned one thing,
Blue Skies!
-snow

The action ALWAYS makes sense in the mind of the person that does it. ALWAYS.
^
^
^
It doesn't have to make sense to YOU, but it absolutely has to make sense in the mind of the person that does it.

Quade,

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say to Ckret (or anyone who wouldl listen) in Post #952.

My point is; the Flight 305 Hijacking wasn’t a conventional crime (especially in 1971), using conventional KESAs is not going to lead to its solution. In an earlier post you made a statement about Cooper not throwing out all the parachutes, something like this (and I’m paraphrasing); “It just doesn’t make sense that he would have thrown out some and not thrown out all.” Well, I assert (that word begins with ass :)that to Cooper it made perfect sense, the proof is right there, he didn’t throw them all out because it didn’t make sense to him to do so. What environmental factors helped to form his view of the necessity to throw out some things and not others are unknown to us. But, it’s clear that his viewpoint is different than the viewpoint of an FBI Agent who is particularly motivated to find out who he was, and where he went.

What was rational thought to Cooper, probably wouldn’t be rational thought to me (or many others).

Fill In The Blank:
You’d have to be a ______ to jump out of that plane on a night like that.

Now Let’s see if we can figure out what a ______ is!

Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

When I was looking on the web, I saw some beautiful pictures of the Lewis River. I really have to go do my taxes (and destroy any downloaded mp3s and unlicensed software and run the hemp plants thru the chipper/shredder...just kidding!) but maybe someone can post pics of the Lewis River for fun?ah I'm just trying to be funny..bye bye

(sigh) Ok. Motive does not require logic that we understand. If he had some flipped out reason, we will never be able to guess it unless a new disk array is added to hold all the guesses.

There are a lot of simple, easy to understand motives and all of them are in easy to spend denominations.
$200, 000. Just the stinkin' money.

Not suicide, or whatever is the theme of the last episode of Star Trek. Normal crap. Cooper probably wasn't a space alien or trying to achieve oneness with the universe.

There was a guy who threw 2 gallons of gas on a cig rack in Tampa. Why? Because cigs are bad for you, Russians are trying to ruin the health of Americans, that makes cigs a Communist Plot.

His motive? As a good American, he was destroying the communist plot.

Crazy. We would Never figure that out.