47 47
quade

DB Cooper

It seems like a photo or two of Duane seen by Tina and Florence would rule him in or out.

Dan Devorak showed up at Florence's house one day. Had with him three photos I believe. He showed her the three photos to get her to comment. She apparently said "definitely not" when she saw McCoy. She apparently said "no" when she saw Weber. She apparently said "I don't know" when she saw Mayfield.

The only photo of these three that I'm sure about was the Mayfield photo. I believe it was from 74 or something like that. I don't know what photos were used for the other two.

It should be noted also that this took place at least 32 years after the fact (and I believe it was even later than this), and Schaffner has been the source of countless people showing her photos over the years.

I've also heard that the New York writer who came out with a story of Christiansen also did a comparison. According to the story, he took a photo of Weber on his cell phone and showed it to Schaffner and she said no. He then showed her tangible pictures of Kenneth and she apparently said "the best I've ever seen".

No other record of how these were presented or the exact words or pictures used... all of that is unknown.

I've posted the photo of Christiansen before, but the Mayfield photo shown to Schaffner has never been seen on DZ (but elsewhere)... it's attached for your review.

None of us forum posters know what Cooper actually looked like. We just know what composite was produced in consultation with the flight attendants. In my experience composite drawings are often way off the mark. I had cases where the right guy was arrested (irrefutable physical evidence) yet he looked very little like the pictures drawn up in consultation with witnesses.

To me Mayfield (as shown in Safe's pic just posted) looks a lot like the FBI Cooper pic, but that may not mean much.

I used to think Cooper was a savvy skydiver, but I have changed my mind on that issue.

My hunches, nothing more: Mayfield is too experienced to fit the facts in the Cooper case. Mayfield wouldnt have picked the NB6. Mayfield would have told the crew to turn off the transponder.
Mayfield would have exercised more control over the flight path.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

He took you to lunch? Did he pay with cash? Was it twenties?

I do not remember - but we usely paid cash.

He bought you a ring any chance we could find out where he bought it?

There was more than the restaurant in the Eye of the Needle - there was this small concession with good jewelry (a glass case of real gold and high quality jewelry) and so-so jewelry and souveniers.

Back to the Money which was found on the river. I know where you say he threw a bag in the river at and I think Tina’s bar would be the logical place it would wash to.

I have been shouting this for yrs but no on hears me.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

What would have happened if Duane just stayed put? Wouldn't he raise more eyebrows by resigning and leaving? What if you had seen the Cooper TV program he was trying to prevent you from seeing? What in the program would have tipped you off that you might be married to Cooper? I know you didn't see it, but you know what the general content would be.

The insurance industry is different than lots of jobs.
He was looking for a job but he didn't let the office know that - We had lots of business sitting in the mill which would generate income for some time.

He just knew he had to get out of that area - and he had to get my mind away from it...I think he feared my memory - that he said too much and did some strange things on that trip --that I might put it together.

We had a place in Loveland or Greeley that we spent a lot of time together - maybe he feared someone from there might put it together. One of his clients, one of his co-workers...

The money found generated a lot of interest in the West, but not back in the East. Take for EXAMPLE the chute being found recently. A friend sent me dozens of large articles from the papers in the WEST.
But what did we get her - a 3 inch 1 column article on the page 3. Maybe this explains a lot.

Jo,

What if you did put two and two together and concluded he was Cooper. You wouldnt have turned him in would you?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

that he said too much and did some strange things on that trip --that I might put it together.

Your comments reminded me that the trip and his words "that's where Cooper came out of the woods" was only 4 or 5 months prior to the find, so it would have been somewhat fresh in your memory back then.

I have asked skyjack more regarding this move in a private conversation. She told me she has found several papers and letters from the time period that were written in search of a job.

I, of course, asked why does she have copies of this stuff if he sent them out... they are carbon copies. He likely used materials from work.

Anyway, she told me the dates. The earliest date was Feb 14th.

The FBI held their press conference on the 12th. The newspapers picked up the story on the 13th. On the 14th, Weber was looking for a new job in a different state.

Certainly not proof, but certainly consistent with his confession I'd say. If his move had anything to do with the found money, then he made the decision to get out really quickly but then took some extra time before quitting and moving (few weeks).

From the sounds of it, money was not an issue. She called it "mill"... where I'm from we call it "pipeline"... as in, I have a lot of business in the pipeline (future earnings in the making). If a person has a lot of income coming up soon, they're less likely to quit for financial reasons.

If he was Cooper or not remains a mystery. But his motive couldn't have been money or family life... I stand by my guess, FEAR.

377 & Grimmie,
I'm not sure what to make of the photos, I only know what I wrote.

Re: [NickDG] OT: true story - NEW [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To

>> It's always suspicious when someone gets banned and then suddenly a new poster appears. <<
NickD

Especially when the syntax and manner of posting is almost exactly like the banned persons. We often speculate this - and we are sometime wrong.

On the old thread - I was once accused of posting under two names. I wasn't. BUT, when I was able to access my husband's account - I found he had been following the story all along...I knew when I walk into the room, he would suddenly click off of what he had on - I do not see very good at a distance without my glasses on but it looked like DZ.

Guess what I found in favorites under his name -
this site and 101. The two sites I had posted too.
He never asked me about Duane or our marriage and we did not discuss Cooper, but he knew what I was involved in. I did not know his password, but it was written on a piece of paper inside the virus CD that I had to renew in Jan...because he had set it up in his name... and with his email. He knew I would one day need it.

I found the fact that he had been following my postings - comforting - it meant he knew why I might not be having a good day. He understood far more than I thought he did. In all of our yrs he never ever brought Cooper up - he made one vague reference in the last few months of his life that indicated he felt jealousy.

Obviously he must have made a post or two in my defense regarding what I don't know. Maybe one day I will go back to the old thread and try to find it.

Copyright©2008 by Jo Weber
Jo, just asking, dont be pissed, but in your earlier posts, you indicated you were computer illiterate..... now this.... does not make sense

Plenty of people pretend to be notorious criminals to get attention, but that is a bit different from a private deathbed confession to a spouse. There would be no public attention for the confessor and his wife would be very upset.

I do not agree. Go to google and look up "duane weber" there is plenty of attention. Infact I would go so far as saying if one were to want to pretend to be cooper this would be the perfect time, what are they going to do to you? Some people just like to be remembered.

Why else would he need to confess? If he was Cooper he didnt want to be forgotten, If he wasnt Cooper he just wanted a name. I cant think of any other reasons for this.

In any case it was a very selfish thing to do as it has put a large burden on his wife, probably for the rest of her life.

On a side question to skyjack...In alot of your posts it seems like you want Duane to be Cooper, thats the impression I get from reading it. Much of your evidence is presented to tie Duane to Cooper. How much time have you spent being as unbias as possible, looking for evidence that would prove Duane was NOT Cooper?? Sometimes in a quest for answers we place emphasis only on the side we wish to see........

ok, what skydivers with "beards" have we seen for years,,,,and do not know the "real" face...such as Mike Smith from Texas or M McGowan or Bob Clark that fit the age group might have been Cooper

what other guys fit the mold?.... like Ross Wroblewski that hangs low? or Dead Steve Morrel or....

not saying these guys did it... but as skydivers fit the mold

calling all skydivers...please give ur guess and why.

c

ok, what skydivers with "beards" have we seen for years,,,,and do not know the "real" face...such as Mike Smith from Texas or M McGowan or Bob Clark that fit the age group might have been Cooper

what other guys fit the mold?.... like Ross Wroblewski that hangs low? or Dead Steve Morrel or....

not saying these guys did it... but as skydivers fit the mold

calling all skydivers...please give ur guess and why.

c

Wow.... going after one of your own eh?
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Jo, just asking, dont be pissed, but in your earlier posts, you indicated you were computer illiterate..... now this.... does not make sense

Got a chuckle out of that one. I know the basics - such when I sold real estate - the MLS went on to the computer - hence I had to learn to navigate that program. I had to learn to use a program that made my flyers and since I am an artist of sorts everyone loved my flyers.

Actually that is all I did and I did that from the office as I did not own a computer until 2000. "Cooper" made me do it! I started learning how to search the Web. It takes me a long time to learn to navigate a site, and if I get a bug I have to have someone else fix it. Right now if I go back and use spell check I loose the complete post - don't know how to fix it so I post and then go back and edit and hope I catch my own errors.

Updating that virus program - well, it still ain't working right. I spent hours and hours and just gave it up. Have to get the Geek Squad on it at a $150 wack. I can run programs and do searches - that is the extent of my abilities. Did have the photo thing down until I had to buy a new printer and I can't figure that darn thing out at all.

You asked and you got the answer - Now help me fix my online thing so I can better use this site. I have to sign back in after I do a private email...

Just tried to edit my post and lost the site again.

What skyjack made of the confession in subsequent years may or may not have been what he intended.

Like many of his actions, sayings, or odd behaviors, deciphering his motivation is a toughie...

My understanding is it went sort of like this:
Doctors inform him that he's as good as dead. He's given no more than 5 days to live.

He takes out some paperwork that says he wishes to remain off of support and to let him die naturally. He hands them over and the nurses leave him with his wife.

It's an emotional moment. He just handed over his life and he doesn't have much time left.

He then asks skyjack if there's anyone else around.

She says no, thinking that he actually wants to light up a raleigh cigarette (ok, I made up the raleigh part)

Instead, he tells her to come closer.

He says into her ear, "I have a secret to tell you"

Puzzled, she looks... he continues, "I'm Dan Coup-per"

Now really puzzled, she looks at him crosseyed and says something to the effect of, what are you talking about?

He then goes on a monologue talking about airplanes, parachutes, and stolen money.

Confused, she tries to comfort him, while at the same time telling him that he's talking non-sense.

After some time, he gives up. Pissed off that his confession failed, he yells out "Aw $#$#!!!! Let it die with me"

At that moment, one of the nurses hanging outside hears the upset Weber and comes in with a syringe of morphine.

A quick shot and he was drugged up for the rest of his life... literally.

At some point, with one other witness in the room, he begins talking again about the case... (I'm not sure who he was talking to here, maybe skyjack could tell us)... he says he buried 173 or 178 thousand in a bucket.

About a year later, skyjack71 is (on a date????) with a friend and she starts telling the story... it was at that point that he said "did you ever think that maybe he was DB Cooper?"

The lightbulb goes off... Dan Cooper, DB Cooper, how silly not to have figured that out.

And here we are.

Skyjack, correct any of the above if it's wrong.. I typed it out because there were several questions in the last few days and it was clear to me that people were unaware of the story.

Whether or not he was Cooper remains a mystery. Why he made the confession, also a mystery... and it's one of those that will never be figured out. Hopefully we can solve the Cooper case though. B|

Jo,
What if you did put two and two together and concluded he was Cooper. You wouldnt have turned him in would you?

I have asked myself almost everyday since 1996. I always get the same answer - Yes, I would have turned him in prior to 1990.

If he had told me after he went on dialysis or if I had connected the dots at that time - 1990. I don't think I would have turned him in at that time.

He was depending on a machine to stay alive - he couldn't run - and if I had also known he had spent over 17 yrs of his life behind bars along with that knowledge. Under those circumstances -- NO, I think I would have kept his secret...until he died...Whatever he was in the past - he did live a decent life with me and I believe that the life he learned to live in the 17yrs of our marriage warranted his being able to live out what time he had as a free man.

I say that now, but what would I really have done? I don't know.

What skyjack made of the confession in subsequent years may or may not have been what he intended.

With a little dressing up here and there - you have given a fair play back. Somewhere in the other thread I told the story in my words - your words do just fine. Thank You.

On a side question to skyjack...In alot of your posts it seems like you want Duane to be Cooper, thats the impression I get from reading it. Much of your evidence is presented to tie Duane to Cooper. How much time have you spent being as unbias as possible, looking for evidence that would prove Duane was NOT Cooper?? Sometimes in a quest for answers we place emphasis only on the side we wish to see........

I struggled with that from 1996 until 2000 when I went public. Prior to that it was "just 100 words and a lot of crying and not believing and telling the FBI what I did know". I did try to prove to myself that it was not true - but, every turn and every memory and every new thing I learned - said YES, he was Cooper.

I was approached by individuals who looked to profit from what I was going thru and those who simply wanted to tell the story. Prior to 2000 I did not know all that I know today. Even the FBI led me astray - by saying he was never in this prison or that prison and I would be holding a paper documentation that stated otherwise. That made me MAD.

I set out to learn more - WHY would the FBI lie to me? I did not and still do not understand that.

Perhaps if they had been upfront with me and a little more thorough in their cursive investigation of Duane, I could have let go.,,When I met my recently deceased spouse I had ever reason to let go and I really tried.

Everytime I learned something new - that information would just be more of the same. I have asked the FBI many time to prove to me he wasn't
Cooper and they can't do it. If he wasn't Cooper - where was he on Nov. 24th 1971. NO ONE KNOWS.
Even when it was fresh in the minds of individuals who knew him...they didn't know.

The ex-wife says she had left him.
His employer said when he came back to work he had an injury he got cutting limbs from in front of his trailer.
His sister begs me to leave the past in the past and doesn't answer my questions.
Long conversations with the ex-wife...when she had had one two many.
A conversation with his step-daughter and step-son (both of those conversations only confirmed my belief).
Retracing his steps the best I could.
Interviewing friends.
Searching for documents.

I so far have found NOTHING that says Duane L. Weber was NOT Cooper...and the WHY is always there with every post and every conversation and in every question I answer.

I have examined the other suspects and cannot find the same consistent circumstancial evidence I do with Duane. I have tried to convince myself that it is all coincidence that everything I learn is coincidence, but how many coincidences does it take to make a YES. 17 yrs of marriage and 13 yrs of research - and everything I find and every corner I turn says he was Cooper.

If I could turn ONE corner and run into one conclusive piece of information that said "Duane Weber was NOT Cooper" that would be a good day.

The FBI's attempts to use the DNA were flawed. Had they not lost those cigarette butts this would all be over...pro or con. If there was conclusive evidence that the tie was indeed Coopers - multiple individuals seeing the tie on Cooper just as multiple witnesses giving the same description is required.

One day I will tell the story about the tie - but in the mean time the FBI needs to show a very detailed picture of the clasp to the media and release what it is made of and any inscriptions on it such as Mfg. and alloy. After 40 yrs I expect no one will remember unless there is picture of its owner wearing that clasp.

How many of the clasp were made and when were they made...WHY haven't they done this? If they have this information WHY haven't they released it.

Yeah - I am stuck on that Clasp.,,because of the story I was told about that tie. If that story turns out to be true - then without a doubt Weber was Cooper.

I look for things to not be true...everytime there is a new suspect - I turn that suspect upside-down and inside-outwards. I spoke with Mayfield a few times - he is not Cooper. I spent hours on the computer with Grey who did the N.Y. Times article and I spoke to the brother of Christiansen - he sent me a photo and a letter.

McCoy - I did all I could do to convince myself he was Cooper, yet the evidence said NO. BY the way CKRET - how did the FBI agent show that tie to Ms. McCoy and his mother? A picture? They did not live in WA. If the agent simply showed them a picture and he made a book basing his belief that McCoy was Cooper on that basis - SHAME ON THE FBI for allowing that to happen.

Good Night - this has been a very long post.

I'm not sure how many times this has been discussed...

And I don't have a copy of the FBI's interview with the pilot...

But perhaps the pilot was an accomplice of Cooper?

Perhaps the pilot's communication with Cooper about the aft stairs was a bit of pre-planned signaling about a preplanned jump location...pretty farfetched but possible...

I suppose the interview with the pilot and/or background investigations probably rules this out as a possibility.

Lonne

There are many possible scenarios in the Cooper case. The problem seems to be a lack of evidence for any of them.

However, there are basically two realistic possibilities: either he went straight in, or he pulled off a tricky jump and escaped, but probably lost the money.

I would agreee with the main posters here that the main focus has to be on:
1. The location of the jump and landing area
2. Working out how the money ended up on the banks of the Columbia in 1980.

I will post on some other scenarios but I can't find much evidence either here or on-line to support them.

Cheerio then

1. The location of the jump and landing area
2. Working out how the money ended up on the banks of the Columbia in 1980.

That's because those are two tangible pieces of evidence that can easily weed out the "he lost the money" and the "he died" theories.

Not to worry though, there are a handful of posters on this board working to see if there's a weakness in the jump timeline... and even though you think the money was dredged up, no one else here has confirmed that it's even possible. The money was above the dredge layer, not in it, and others have discussed how the cash would have been damaged in a dredge.

The timeline is being worked on as we speak. I'm eager to see how it shakes out, but also am weary that the work is accurate. In 1971 they used radar supplied by the USAF... I would want something extremely solid to trump that data. But that's me... others on the board just want a little hope that he died that night...

like I said before, that's okay. Everyone has their opinions, it's a mystery and people should be able to come up with all sorts of theories without having useless facts get in the way.

I've had people such as Orange tell me there's nothing interesting about these tax returns. Maybe on other continents taxes aren't what they are here... very few would claim income that's not taxable and not tracable on their return.

(sigh)... Safe, you know darn well that you are misrepresenting me here (go back and read your PMs). My point about the tax returns was that the expenditure amounted to way, way, way less than $200K as did the "extra" income. I have almost no doubt he did it to hide criminal activity, but it could very easily have been some rather minor fraud/robbery rather than the DB Cooper hijack. In fact given the amounts I would say that this is a far more likely explanation.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

but it could very easily have been some rather minor fraud/robbery rather than the DB Cooper hijack."

I understand what you're saying. Like almost every criminal or alledged criminal, people can come up with multiple explanations. That's perfectly okay.

At some point, with one other witness in the room, he begins talking again about the case... (I'm not sure who he was talking to here, maybe skyjack could tell us)... he says he buried 173 or 178 thousand in a bucket.

In this particular example, you also have a guy who confessed, and a few days after his confession he began mumbling something about burying 178k in a bucket... if it were true, the amounts on the tax returns would not be inconsistent with the "story" but would actually be extremely supportive of the story.

If he spent 200k and it showed up on his tax return, then perhaps it would make everyone think twice, but it would also go against the story (and the evidence given that at the very least we know Cooper did not spend all the money)

Safe..PLF and Orange1,

I don't know what went on in the PMs, but maybe this will help, gain perspective.

In 1971 I worked in a professional/technical position (Health Physicist) at a prestigious university (Stanford). My annual salary was $6,800 USD. I remember because a new Jaguar XKE was $6,300 USD.

I bought my first house (in an upscale neighborhood) in 1971 for $18,300 USD. It was 2400 sq ft.

$12,000 worth of remodeling was a “hell-of-a-lot” of remodeling.

Like I said, I don’t know what the exact issue is, but I give you D A T A.

Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

Yeah, and the amount seems to have ballooned in the interim too. In Safe's PM to me (in January) he stated

Their combined tax return in 1972 showed $5000 in income. roughly $1300 of this was claimed from stuff they sold

So it was more the $1300 "extra" I had in mind than these new figures of ten times that. Of course all my sources on this come from Safe himself, so I am even more confused. None of that tallies with the total $5000 in joint income declared he mentioned before.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Why did you say it ballooned?

That's what I posted... their W2s was somewhere around $3000 (maybe my post understated this a few hundred) and that he augmented his return by about 50%.

That's not really ballooning it. I'd go off of the numbers I put in the PM, what I posted here was more general.

Incidentally, the price of the two new cars in 1971?

About $5000.

Thus, it would appear, he manufactured income to at least match the price of the two new cars.

That return was filed 5 months after the hijacking (his 1971 tax return).

In his 1972 return, that's where the 12,000 in home remodeling shows up.