lawrocket

Mike Mullins' King Air?

During one of the weather holds at this year's convention (Thursday I think), the King Air was doing hop n pops right below a broken layer at 2,500 to 3,000ft. In a pathetic attempt to amuse myself during this weather, I clocked Mullins at 1 min. and 55 secs. between takeoff and first jumper out. When a ride to altitude, any altitude, is shorter than an average skydive, that's just ridiculously fast. If you ever get to jump it, look down at your altimeter and watch the needle go up for a change. Great fun.

The glass isn't always half-full OR half-empty. Sometimes, the glass is just too damn big.

The entire average skydive, not just the freefall. Although, I guess some high-alt freefalls might last that long, but most certainly don't. I was figuring for another minute or so between deployment and landing. This, of course, assumes that the average canopy ride is at least a minute long, but I think that one is a gimmie.

The glass isn't always half-full OR half-empty. Sometimes, the glass is just too damn big.

Okay, I have to ask this. Disclaimer: I realize that this may be a touchy subject for those who know Mike Mullins, and I am in no way meaning any offense to him, or anyone that knows him.

I've heard from different sources on separate occasions the rumors behind how he got his legendary King Air. Half of you prolly know what I'm talking about, the other half that do not, it has to do with the tragic death of a family member and suspicion behind the cause of death. I'm not asking for details, but has anyone else heard this, or have I just been messed with by a lot of people?

Once again, no offense to anyone, just curious.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I wasn't there but the stallion crashed, he bot the kingair and put big engines on it and now I get to jump from it. He used to fly for some very important and famous people, at least what I heard, The beach boys, King Hussian (deceased) of Jordan, and some others.

Judy:ph34r:
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I wasn't there but the stallion crashed, he bot the kingair and put big engines on it and now I get to jump from it. He used to fly for some very important and famous people, at least what I heard, The beach boys, King Hussian (deceased) of Jordan, and some others.

Judy:ph34r:

King Hussein of Jordan was a pilot himself, and he flew his own Lockheed L-1011, on a regular basis.

;)

Yves.

Porters are'nt rated for it either. Hense the incidents in the last few years of wings ripping off Porters.

Hmmm, just checked the NTSB database and there haven't been any Porters lose a wing/wings in the last 30 years in the U.S.

Where did this happen at?
SmugMug

I know it happened in Europe about the time I started jumping in '99.

http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/aircraft/ad/ADfiles/under/pc-6/PC-6-043.pdf Link to the AD describing the damages that the overstressing was doing. Failure of this on one plane lead to the AD.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

[ If you ever get to jump it, look down at your altimeter and watch the needle go up for a change. Great fun.

And that's not all. It is crowded in there, so when you do get to altitude, Mike gives you a zero-g curve to help you up on your feet. That way there's no struggling, climbing all over people, farting in somebody's face, or any of that other nasty stuff. You're suddenly weightless, floating up off the floor. You have to actually THINK about pushing your legs down. Then Mike turns the gravity back on and you're standing up. The door's already open by then and people are leaving.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

N9HW is Assigned
Assigned/Registered Aircraft
Aircraft Description

Serial Number LJ-459 Type Registration Individual
Manufacturer Name BEECH Certificate Issue Date 01/02/1992
Model B90 Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Multi-Engine Type Engine Turbo-Jet
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 53065476
MFR Year 1969 Fractional Owner NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Registered Owner

Name MULLINS MICHAEL
Street 985 LAVERNE DAVIS RD
City WHITEVILLE State TENNESSEE Zip Code 38075-8107
County HARDEMAN
Country UNITED STATES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer U/A CANADA Classification Standard
Engine Model PT6 SER 578HP Category Normal

A/W Date 04/11/1969

Other Owner Names

None

Temporary Certificate

None

Fuel Modifications

None

A/W Date 04/11/1969 Isn't that a bit old to be pushing that hard? It also doesn't show the engine mods.

I jumped Mike Mullins King Air many times at Quincy. It is awesome, we often got 15,000 ft in about 7 minutes. Mike was always the first to take off at the WFFC and the last to touch down. He seemed to be at the controls all day, thats dedication.
23,000 ft high altitude jumps took 14 minutes to altitude and when there was low cloud base it took 90 seconds to climb to exit alt 4,500 ft.
Best of all when conditions were too windy Mike let me hire the aircraft and flew zero g runs for a few friends, what other jump operators can say the same?

Mike does not allow shitting in his plane!

That is sooo unfair to those of us who are disabled. I can't help it, I was just born that way. I guess I'll never ride in Mullins plane :(

....and I'm not getting throwed out of the plane anymore. A little tolerance please!
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Mike does not allow shitting in his plane!

That is sooo unfair to those of us who are disabled. I can't help it, I was just born that way. I guess I'll never ride in Mullins plane :(

....and I'm not getting throwed out of the plane anymore. A little tolerance please!

Oh, you can do it - once. If he finds out who it was you are history. At the very least he will make everyone get out. B|

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I've never seen or jumped mikes king air but i know dives like that are definately possible.

Got told about a world championship in europe, where they were using a porter for the 4-way comp, and the porter from 13k would land before the skydivers had pulled!! pretty much dive straight for the numbers, pull out and land using the props in beta mode to slow the plane down!

talking powered dive here.

So this Mike fella, ;) flew Spitfires in WWII did he? Yikes! I've heard the plane is fast but I didn't believe that he actually beats the jumpers to the ground :o:o

I thought the 'nornal' Kingair at Hollister was a quick ship - I'm not sure I'd agree with those who say there's less room than in a C 182 (I live in one) but it sure is cozy. I kinda miss being able to salute the pilot on exit in the larger ship as I take a stand off the step

-Dave

Re. Porters with cracked wings .....

Why any jump pilot would want to overspeed any jump plane on the way down is a mystery to me.

Reminds me of an incident in 1979. A young Cessna 180 pilot told me why it was okay to exceed red line in a 20-plus-year-old airplane. The following Sunday we arrived at the airport to see it slumped in the grass with a broken under carriage leg, due to a fatigue crack.

Who did he think he was fooling?

Exceeding red line in 30 year old airplanes is just plain stupid!

I have told more than one jump pilot that if he see him doing red line (Vne) in the pattern one more time, I will take my money to some other DZ.