kopelen

Cutaway procedures

This poll is ONLY for skydivers that have used Emergency Procedures because of a malfunction that WAS NOT intentional.
Which method did you use to cutaway your malfunction? One handed or two handed method? Did you use this method because you were taught this in your FJC or because you learned it after FJC because it works better for you, etc.

poll - n 1: an inquiry into public opinion conducted by interviewing a random sample of people [syn: public opinion poll]
poll - v.,n. 1. [techspeak] The action of checking the status of an input line, sensor, or memory location to see if a particular external event has been registered.
I guess by informing you of the meaning you may now understand..... ignorance kills!!!!

I was taught the USPA method, 2 hands per handle in my FJC. This is also what I practiced every time after gearing up, and in the airplane.
Cutaway 1 - Low speed, really hard opening blew out two end cells. In hindsight I probably could have landed it, but that was on jump 39, and didn't feel comfortable with it.
-I used the 1 hand per handle method (cutaway pillow/metal reserve handle)
Cutaway 2 - High Speed, collapsed pilot chute, borrowed gear, jump 40.
-Again 1 hand per handle (cutaway pillow, reserve pillow)
--
Dude, where's my raft?

1 hand on each handle, peel and pull the cutaway handle, then peel and pull the reseve handle. Used for both of my cutaways. Was what was taught in my FJC...
note...had the first peel and pull not been sucessful, the reserve hand would be brought over to the cutaway side to assist, that's why you don't do the second peel until the cutaway has occured.
http://www.aerialfusion.com

My first cutaway happened around jump 300. I had decided to use one hand per handle; but my original training took over and I used both hands. This is what tends to happen to people who decide to change but don't drill a lot. I changed my mind after that about the two hands per handle thing.
My second cutaway I just used two hands per handle.
My third cutaway was on a tandem where I _had_ to use one hand per handle; by that time, I was aware enough to decide on the spot to use the one handed method.
-bill von

I was taught the two handed method...drilled it, practiced it, worked it that way. Look red, grab wtih both hands, look silver, pull red, grab silver with both hands, pull....
With my cutaway, I did look, find, one hand on red, pull and throw, other hand on silver, pull and throw, scream....no two handed method in sight. Stil not sure where that came from.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
Life is what you make it; always was, always will be.
~Grandma Moses~

When I cut away from a low speed mal, I placed one hand on each handle, despite having learned the two hand method in FJC. I had enough time to think about it and felt more comfortable not having to locate the silver handle after cutaway. Afterwards I have started to practice the one hand procedure a lot.

I have had only one, but it makes you think how a person reverts to the method they were taught when in a stressfull situation. I used the single handle cutaway/reserve gear as a student. so this was drilled into your head. i like to think that when it comes time for me to chop and pop i will not revert back.
something to think about
If you’re into playin it close that’s cool, but we're talkin major malfunction here T Sparks

i like to think that when it comes time for me to chop and pop i will not revert back. something to think about

I was also trained on an SOS system (that's the one handle does it all variety). I've jumped two handle systems since jump 17 - and drilled the "one hand on each handle" method before every skydive - but I still kinda wonder if the years of muscle memory will overcome the initial training when I finally have to use it.
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

i am a practice freak. i practice my cutaway procedures about 100 times on the way to altitude. i even think about it during the work week. even though during IAF they taught us 1 handed cut-away. i am more custom to the two handed method.
why jump when you can fly

I am a big fan of the two handle system for training students for th reason that people tend to revert back to their initial training. I really like the two-handle-SOS system w/ the double-eneded white loop and two sets of cutaway cables for each riser.
Hook

Even though I havnet cutaway yet I almost did on my first loong snivel.....( was like jump 16) and my irst reaction was to grab one hand cutaway and one hand on the reserve....and thats how I was trained.......but wouldnt ya know it....the damn thing opened!!! ;)
jason

I used the one handd method, til I couldn't pull the cutaway handle, so I used two hands. I still drill the one handle. I sure wish someone had mentioned the peling part of the cutaway....i think that would have made it a lot less stressful!!!
Anne
crabs are only bad when you go down on someone and get them in your eyelashes-sunshine

My only reserve ride has been on the tandem and I pulled only the reserve. (Long story).
I am drilling one hand on each handle method for myself, but teaching students the two hands on each handle method. It will be quite interesting to know which method pops up when I have to do it in the air. I did about 220 jumps in the beginning with belly mounted reserves. Reserves had handles located in different positions etc...
But at the moment I can not remember any disscussion about different methods for students. What would be the advantages of teaching one hand on each handle for students? Have there been any big problems when teaching them two hands on each handle?
All the students I (or other JM in our club) have trained have done very well performing the cutaway procedures with two hands on each handle.
Peedu
Peedu

I've had 4 mal's, 3 which were violent spinnners. I won't use an RSL ever again and I like to try to get stable for the reserve pull. After chopping the main, the reserve handle can move. Two hand methods are OK for students who have a greater chance of out-of sequence deployment. One hand on each handle is my choice.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Reading through the posts, I see several taught one way, and used a different one (like me). Anyone have any ideas as to why that would occur? (I suspect that for me, it was because of the centrifugal force, and that I got all bolluxed up in the harness...but I still don't know for sure.) Just curious.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
Life is what you make it; always was, always will be.
~Grandma Moses~