bwilling

Have you jumped your reserve?

I see SO many people with little tiny reserves these days (granted most are jumping little tiny mains too!), and I wondered what percentage of the folks actually had rides on those canopies...

I have 4 reserve rides total, which I know is a lot for my low jump numbers.. but hey, stuff happens...

I have 2 rides on ROUND reserves, 26 foot conical lopos, that landed okay, but went wherever the wind blew them... I have 1 ride on an old Safety Star, a 185sf 5 cell, that flew where I wanted it, but landed... well... hard and fast.

And I do have 1 ride on my current reserve, a PD193, loaded at almost 1.3:1... I was lucky and had almost ideal conditions (cool temps and 10-15mph winds), but honestly the landing was SWEET... I had NO problem standing it up... I don't think it would be as sweet on a hot, humid, no wind day though...:P

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I haven't jumped my reserve (yet). Seeing how I can sink my moderately loaded elliptical canopy in on a tight spot off DZ landing with bad winds (which I did about a month) ago, I'm not too worried about my PDR-176, which is larger then my main.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had a reserve ride earlier this year on my Tempo 150. It's the same size as my main, but being F111 it might be a bit less safe. I also found that even though I thought I was being clear headed, I still set up a terrible landing, rode to 1/2 brakes until flare time, and flared like a first jumper. It wasn't pretty.

Having a great big reserve is sounding good.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Yep ive jumped it. As a matter of fact I tested it (well one just like it) before I bought it. I have a Pd126 and at one point in my life it was the best looking canopy in the world to me. I also Tried out the 113 and loved it also, but I thought about landing out and other stuff and bought the bigger one. That is the one thing I love about PD you can try it before you buy it (DEMO).

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I haven't jumped my reserve (yet). Seeing how I can sink my moderately loaded elliptical canopy in on a tight spot off DZ landing with bad winds (which I did about a month) ago, I'm not too worried about my PDR-176, which is larger then my main.

How many jumps on your main when you did that Dave? Probably a LOT more than you're gonna have on your reserve when you need sink IT into a tight spot on an off DZ landing...

Just something to think about... :ph34r:

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

If the reserve is newer, then it should have nearly the flare of a ZP canopy, although it is a 7 cell, so it will seem ground hungry. I'm willing to bet if you would have let if fly and flared it right, you would have done perfect.

With that said, I've read and have heard from people who have had reserve rides on Tempos, that they suck for flare. More then one person that I personally know that had a reserve ride on a Tempo, sold it and ordered a PD reserve almost the next day.

At that point I had about 60 jumps on my main, so yeah I did have more jumps, but not enough for the canopy to be "second nature" yet. Quite honestly, I'm not worried about it, I'm confident that I could land my reserve no problem. Maybe that's stupid of me, but that's how I feel.

I have a Swift Plus 175 which I've not yet asked to save my hyde, but would be loaded at about 1.15:1 or so. Anyone have any past experience? :)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I've got 2 reserve rides on the same size reserve, 1st one i hit the peas dead center and stand up. few weeks ago i had a 2ed on a pdr 160 stood it up. I also had a reserve ride on a swift 5 cell, going in prolly would have hurt less B| J/K but it wasn't a pd for sure. when it's your best last chance I'll always jump the best, PD reserves rock!!!!

At that point I had about 60 jumps on my main, so yeah I did have more jumps, but not enough for the canopy to be "second nature" yet. Quite honestly, I'm not worried about it, I'm confident that I could land my reserve no problem. Maybe that's stupid of me, but that's how I feel.

One of the reasons that I asked, is that I know you are about the same size as I am (we met at SDD a couple of years ago actually), and after jumping my PD193R, I'm certain that I wouldn't want to jump anything smaller than that... but then again, I don't want to jump a 170 main either, and I know you do!!!

I'm not sure people are really ready for the different flight characteristics in their reserve when they have to deploy it... most people have few, if any, jumps on F-111 7 cell canopies (I have hundreds BTW), and it is kinda different... I'd highly recommend that people take advantage of PD's program, and demo a reserve sometime...

2 rides on a PD-143R
2 Rides on a TR-375A
7 Rides on a MR-109-M (one landing at 5400ft MSL)
1 ride on a Fury 220R

No problems so far. Landed within 10ft of where I intended to, standing up, every time.

Something to think about, the reserve PC in my old XRS was the same size as the reserve PC in my J4. The XRS PC was hauling out a light 109-M, the J4 PC was hauling out a heavy (Dacron lines) Fury 220R. Very noticeable difference in how much altitude used in getting the canopy out of the bag.

Hook

Had to use my PD143 at the beginning of the year. I weigh approx 215lb with gear (1.5 loading?) and it landed fine, just a few paces to stop. It was cold though (snow on the ground), and therefore I suppose the air was comparitively dense. Based on that experience I would be happy using it in all environments...
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I honestly don't remember us meeting, although I'm sure we have. Sorry I can't place your face for some reason.

After the holidays I am planning on taking advantage of PD demo program, though.

My reserve rides thus far:

1 - 1981 - Jump #69 CRW wrap at 2000' on first CRW attempt. Under my 26' Navy Conical at 1000'. My Navy Conical still had sea pockets sewn onto it. This ended my interest in CRW for about 4 years and kindled my interest in buying a square reserve...which I got in time for reserve ride number....

2 - 1982 - Chopped my Pegasus in my brand new Racer that had come from Jump Shack with the reserve already packed, while thinking, "I don't even know if there's a reserve in this container." Nice landing under my Swift reserve. Looked for my main for about 5 hours in a corn field before finding it.

3 - 1982 - Chopped my Pegasus again. This time I knew there was a reserve on my back. Another good landing under my Swift. Fixed the steering line problem after this jump and this canopy never mal'd again for me or anybody else that owned it.

4 - Intentional chop from a biplane. Good Swift landing.

5 - New Gear! Double intentional chop from a side by side with my 300-way buddy, Angus Smith. Great downplane on our Phantom 145 reserves, broke off, swooped the bowl and got about 5 centimeters on the electronic pad. It is the photo titled Ka-Ching

6 - Tandem malfunction with a blind woman, cut away and opened Hi-Lifter Reserve. When asked by a reporter, who was there to watch the jump, how she knew there was something wrong, she replied, "Well, Murray was saying 'shit' a lot." Another attempt at good PR gone wrong.

7 - CRW wrap with a guy on his first CRW jump...I'd gotten over my CRW phobia by then....for the brief moments between cutting away and getting his reserve open, all he heard was laughter from the other two guys who were planning on jumping 3rd and 4th...his first reserve ride. His main was tangled around my risers and started inflating so I waited until I was right over the packing area and chopped at about 2,000'. Phantom 145.

Well, that's it so far. 7 Rides in 2150 jumps. I haven't chopped a malfunction on my personal gear since 1982, nearly 2000 jumps ago.

There's nothing like using your last chance. Scary and exhilarating at the same time.

Likewise....Haven't had a reserve ride ,, since 1979... I have a swift plus 175 in my back-up rig, and a swift plus 225 in my Javelin.....never had to use either square reserve..;)
I have 4 reserve landings, all in the first 7 years of my 30+ years of jumping,,,all under a 26 ft, Navy Conical...stood up each one,,,the last one,, right next to the pea gravel target, during an accuracy meet...:)

Reserve ride #1- 05/16/97 Premature container opening leads to horseshoe mal:o, took a ride on a lopo26, landed it where I wanted it... On the airport:P.

Reserve ride #2- 10/21/00 I twisted my Hornet 210 down to the risers (bad body position:$) 1500' cha chink! I took a ride on my Tempo 210, Nice opening, flew good and flared great. My freebag came down on top of my main, talk about luckB|!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I have 6 rides on a PD113....

I love it.

I used to have Dive loops on my reserve risers. I could get a good hook out of it. (put on by the factory so don't ask)

My new rig does not have them.....RWS kinda laughed at me when I asked.

I have landed straight in, and once DEEP in brakes to keep from hitting a large group of trees.

I have a 1.6 wingload on it...

It does everything I ask of it and more....

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hi, Bryce...

Jump #3, student gear, 280 something or other, reserve unknown but a really pretty blue.

Didn't fly it. Don't even recall doing a control check. Still on radio, so I just flew straight until they said turn...flare was nice...except far early (like 20 feet...), and landed in the student area...I have no idea if the recollection of the ride being shorter than the other two times, or if it was shorter, that was because I had lost a lot of altitude figuring out I needed to cut. I don't remember thinking much about the canopy over my head except "man, it's open and it's whole!!! GET ME DOWN!!!"

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

1 ride on a Raven 2, or is it a Raven II? Anyhow, I didn't like it. It seemed to have a built in right hand turn. I went out and bought a PD reserve about 1 month later.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

First *actual* reserve ride on jump 2900-somthing: new Sabre2 with one unstowed brake and line twists. Chopped it and rode my Raven Dash-M into the landing area at Eloy right in front of the rigger who had packed it-- the day before! (I'm not counting two cypres fires that gave me two canopies out, one was a downplane which I chopped, and the other was a biplane, which I landed.) All reserve rides were with Ravens, which I loved.

I think now, however, that my next reserve will be a PD, since I had to pay extra to have those bar tacks put in a couple of repacks ago...

Now don't ask me about those cypres fires, OK??

DJan

Chopped it and rode my Raven Dash-M into the landing area at Eloy right in front of the rigger who had packed it-- the day before!

Haha. That's kinda funny. My Raven ride was the day I was planning on turning in my rig for the repack. It was probably day 118 or 119.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.