bwilling

Have you jumped your reserve?

I see SO many people with little tiny reserves these days (granted most are jumping little tiny mains too!), and I wondered what percentage of the folks actually had rides on those canopies...

i've had two rides on my dash-m raven 109. went almost 700 jumps without one and then had 2 ten days apart. reserve landed me great. i even landed it sideways on the second. i'm loading the raven 1.4 and at the time my main was an alpha84.

levin
vSCR#17

I've got a PD126 .. It was a Sunday when I had my ride on it ... that Monday I was scheduled to pick up a PD126 from PD to demo for 2 weeks to see how my reserve flew so I'd be ready for one when I needed it ... well, I canceled the demo ... stood my landing just fine. Fun ride, but I'd rather not have one again anytime soon:)
Edited to add: Oh yea, I did like that reserve and am happy with it's performance and size and everything. I'm only loading it 1.2:1.

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

I see SO many people with little tiny reserves these days (granted most are jumping little tiny mains too!), and I wondered what percentage of the folks actually had rides on those canopies...

the last time I rode a pd126r, I still had a canopy packed on my back, so my exit weight was the normal 185-190 lbs. the winds were about 3-4 mph, so I decided to do a downwinder, just for fun. the swoop distance sucked, but the landing was soft and controlled. and no, I am not comfortable having that small of a reserve for my every-day jumping rig, but it is fine for my hop-and-pack only rig.

I had a reserve ride earlier this year on my Tempo 150. It's the same size as my main, but being F111 it might be a bit less safe. I also found that even though I thought I was being clear headed, I still set up a terrible landing, rode to 1/2 brakes until flare time, and flared like a first jumper. It wasn't pretty.

Having a great big reserve is sounding good.

I also have a Tempo 150. What people never seem to tell you until just after you need the info is that the brake lines on Tempos are long - really long. I made a good full flare on my first ride and POW!!!. Not good at all. Too bad I was also wearing shorts. Talk about adding injury to insult. The lesson learned is to take one wrap out of the brake lines. Not two (that is too much, and an equally bad landing story) but one. I think you will find that it flares and lands quite well.B|

My last two rides were on my PD106 at 1.8 lb/sqft. Very nice. Landed the first one downwind. Great swoop and it seemed to bleed of all airspeed. Second one I landed after a 270 into the backyard at a local DZ carving around the trees. My plan was to rear riser that one but I let off of them pretty early. Next time.:)JH

That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

3 on my PD 113.
1st was a total malfunction from a pull out, landed fine, swooped it.

2nd was after an eventful cutaway on a spinning Velocity 103.
Landed fine.

3rd was after another cutaway from the spinning Velocity 103, landed with rear risers down wind, almost stood it up, stalled it at the last second.

I load it at 1.7:1. I would easily take that reserve into a back yard, only thing that makes me hope I never expirence is being unconcious.

Jonathan

Thanks for the advice, JohnnyD.

By the way, I got news about my hard reserve landing today after I posted it on this thread. See my new thread, "Dramatic stealth injury" in Talk Back.

I saw that. Time will heal that, as long as you do not aggravate the injury, you will be fine. My brother sustained a similar, although more severe injury during a jackass variety stunt. He is 100% A-OK now.
Added: I know the not so clear headded feeling of the first reserve ride. The tempo, with no slack wrapped out of the brake lines, reacted so slowly to massive input that I was concerned something was wrong. In hindsight, it would have been nice to have a little more instruction about my reserve before I had to use it. THAT IS TO SAY......I wish I would have been more inquisitive than: So, I pull this one, then this one. Cool. Would have really helped me out.:S

I'd load my PDR143 at about 1.15:1 Luckily 201 jumps and 201 landings under a main:P

IIRC (and I may be wrong because I have only been under a Tempo), the brake lines on PDRs are very different than the brake lines on Tempos. The PDR is 0-P and will fly very nicely. DO NOT wrap the brake lines of a PDR around your hands. You may end up collapsing the canopy on flare.

Note: The previous post was made by some random moron who is neither a rigger or in posession of above average intelligence. Please consult a rigger, someone with experience using the same reserve you have, or (here's a zinger) the manufacturer of the reserve.

A PD Reserve (PDR) is not made of 0P its F111 (well technically something like 0-.3 cfm). but they are still great reserves. The only reserve that I know of (and I could be wrong as I do not know all that is out there) is the Dash-M that has a ZP top skin.

Jonathan

The PDR is 0-P and will fly very nicely.

PD reserves aren't Z-P. They are made from F-111 (Exacta-Chute material), same as Tempos. The only reserve I know of that has Z-P in it is the -MZ, with a Z-P top skin. F-111 isn't actually used in canopies, but the term has stuck, like Zerox.

Hook

If the reserve is newer, then it should have nearly the flare of a ZP canopy, although it is a 7 cell, so it will seem ground hungry. I'm willing to bet if you would have let if fly and flared it right, you would have done perfect.

With that said, I've read and have heard from people who have had reserve rides on Tempos, that they suck for flare. More then one person that I personally know that had a reserve ride on a Tempo, sold it and ordered a PD reserve almost the next day.

I did everything right and still spent two hours picking gravel out of my leg. Reserves are a completely different animal than mains and completely different from each other as well. Once I climbed the Tempo learning curve, I have had no problems with the reserve and will certainly buy one again. I can understand the reaction of getting rid of them, but my guess (and this is from experience) is that the pilot was not completely aware of the canopy's characteristics before use. Not many people are and the end results can be less than excellent.

PD reserves aren't Z-P. They are made from F-111 (Exacta-Chute material), same as Tempos. The only reserve I know of that has Z-P in it is the -MZ, with a Z-P top skin. F-111 isn't actually used in canopies, but the term has stuck, like Zerox.

And there you have it. A public display of my ignorance.[:/]

>moderately loaded

1.6 is at the max of most manufactors suggested Max loadings so I don't think that qualifies as moderate loading.

>PDR-176, which is larger then my main.

6 feet is not large enough to make a difference, my PD160R over my Jedei 136 is a differnce. I packed my reserve, I know it will work, I've jumped way worse canopies like a Lightning 160 with lead on.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

jump # 475 cut-away and deployed reserve. pd-193 perfect deployment, great landing, but a slow canopy ride, which is probably a good thing since i was mad when i deployed it. (mad at the line twists on my Cobalt 170^2) my main was new, and i wasn't wild about it floating through the sky like it was, but a very nice female sky diver followed all my equipment down and landed off to be by it...thanks! arch, pull YEAH! the real fun begins at deployment time!
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

With that said, I've read and have heard from people who have had reserve rides on Tempos, that they suck for flare. More then one person that I personally know that had a reserve ride on a Tempo, sold it and ordered a PD reserve almost the next day.

And I have seen a Tempo loaded at greater than 1.7:1 landed on a no-wind day. The result...a beautiful stand-up landing.
Tempo's do have a longer control-range from what I have heard, so I would almost bet that the people who pounded in under them never bothered with a practice-flare or two before landing to find out where the range was.

Also, it's a 7-cell, and a ground-hungry one at that. The flare a jumper uses for a standard ZP 9-cell (and some 7-cells) isn't going to cut it for a completely different type of canopy.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I have two reserve rides...one on my Raven-M 181, and one on a PD 160R...

I didn't land either all that well...the 181 was when I was not landing ANYTHING well....

The 160 was when I forgot to ask when size the reserve was on a demo rig....OOOPS....I won't make that mistake again.. I had to land that in a cornfield, off the windline so I was down one of the rows of plowed corn, with a whuffo running towards me screaming bloody murder....(he was my main land and thought there was a person with it.....)

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

>Tempo's do have a longer control-range from what I have heard, so I would almost bet that the people who pounded in under them never bothered with a practice-flare or two before landing to find out where the range was.

I actually did not have time to do a practice flare on the first ride. I did on the second and thought I was fine. End result on both was the same - BIF! I thought it would be a good idea to learn about my reserve after that and have not had any problems since.

Phree, since you are getting your riggers ticket, then you of all people should know that PD lists the size of their reserves smaller then they are, a PDR 176 is more like a 188, almost a 190 in real numbers. So, yeah, my PDR-176 is larger then my Heatwave 170, by more then just 6sq ft.

When I said moderate wing loading, I was talking about my main. And moderate is being relative to people loading their trash at 2.1 all the way up to a guy I know with a VX-60 loaded at 3.1.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

PD measure the mains the same way as the reserves...

IE a Lightning 143 is the same size as a 143R, a Sabre2 170 is only 6 feet smaller then a PD176R. If you are going off the PIA numbers then your Heatwave is actually more like a 182. PIA vs PD numbers are worthless in this case. What ever method they are measured with there is a very small difference inbetween the 2.

>And moderate is being relative to people loading their trash at 2.1 all the way up to a guy I know with a VX-60 loaded at 3.1.

And they are well into the extreme or as one canopy maker calls it Ballistic range. 1.6 is considered Extreme by one of the more liberal canopy makers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I haven't taken the time to look up the size data of PISA canopies, that'll be a fun project after finals, you've sparked a curiosity there, to see if they're measured with PD's standards or PIAs.

With that said, a PDR-176 is still around the actual size of 185-190sq ft, though. Eitherway I'm still only loading the reserve about 1.4-1.5 actually. Still under the 'maximum'.

As for wingloading being considered moderate/extreme/death-crazed, that all tends to be relative between the different canopy manufactures and definately relative between jumpers. IMHO I wouldn't consider 1.6 extreme, although I would consider it the upper end of moderate, especially for the size of the canopies that I jump. The actual size slows the canopy down (not a whole lot, but some) and the line length definately degrades the performance of the canopy when it comes to turning.

Alright, since I'm having writers block for my paper, I did some quick canopy homework, heres what I found between a PISA Heatwave and a PD Stilleto (a 170 was used for reference and I had to do it myself since the PIA chart I found didn't have a Stilleto that large or a Heatwave listed).

Heatwave:
Span: 21.20
Chord: 8.00
Square Footage: 169.6sq ft

Stilleto:
Span: 21.34
Chord: 8.54
Square Footage: 182.2436sq ft

Now, a PDR-176 (info from PIA chart since they had that canopy listed)
Actual Square Footage: 189sq ft (according to PIA).

So, if this information is correct, then a PDR-176 is actually almost 20sq ft larger then a Heatwave 170.

Licensed riggers, please correct me if my information is wrong or if I made an error.