bwilling

Have you jumped your reserve?

>please correct me if my information is wrong or if I >made an error

I'm wondering how they take into account that the planform is not rectangular. With a single chord measurement it would be hard to get a good idea of the actual area. Are they using the center cell? The mean aerodynamic chord would not be a good measure because it is not necessarily the geometric mean (or is it?)...

I can't answer your question, I don't know, this is just how I understand stand it, and that's why I would love for someone like RiggerRob (who I'm sure knows this stuff off the top off his head) to jump in and explain it to me better.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm not a rigger, but I know that if you want me to believe your claims, you need to use the same measuring method on all three canopies. PD's website says that the span and chord on a PD-176R are 19.22 and 9.15, respectively, for an area of 175.86 square feet.

So by the "multiply the span and chord method" (which I believe is not valid because the Heatwave and Stilleto are not square), the PD-176 is actually smaller than the Stilleto, but larger than the Heatwave. You cannot choose to believe PD's sizing information for one canopy, but not for another. You need to pick one system and stick with it.

It's my custom to demo reserve canopies throughout each season in most conditions and including sizes smaller than my personal reserve size. Not infrequently I get a "dude, what happened" or "why in ____'s name did you buy a main canopy that's solid (a) white, (b) yellow, (c) orange etc etc. -- it looks like a ____ reserve." But I have never intentionally jumped my personal reserve canopies. No valid reason to risk the extra wear and tear that I can think of.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

Yeppers....
Previous reserve rides on Lopo 26 (2), phantom 24...ouch, Raven, and most recently a PDR 176

I was under a Lopo at 11 grand after an FXC misfired once.....eerie sensation.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

One reserve ride on my firelite 176 (loaded at about 1.1). Containerlock :Son the 4th jump on my new vector with a clipper 190. Downwind landing in a little tight spot. Not a pretty landing, but I survived without injuries. Did a binary flare way to late and a aerobatic PLF. I believe my flaring skills have improved a lot since then.

What can I say, I never loved my reserve as much as when I saw that blue canopy over my head. :)Don't think I would feel comfortable with a smaller reserve than my current, so I'm not planning to downsize my reserve....

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I originally had a PD143R no rides.
PD demo day at Spaceland, jumped a PD126R very nice great flare.
new Javelin RS PD113R jump #489(never forget)Cha-Ching! in the saddle at 1400' followed the freebag about a half mile away, the winds were honkin', stood up the landing 2' from from the freebag. I was the only person on the load that actually had any drive landing!loading 1.64/1. Nacmacfeegle(Dave) followed my main another half mile away and saw it land inside a plant! Next rig I'll have no problem getting a PD106R with my 85 Xaos main.
Last life line-PD only for me!

My only reserve ride was #38. I was jumping my new to me rig for the first weekend and had done several jumps over the weekend with my PD170 F-111. My rigger had packed the reserve that Friday evening when he got the rig. Monday, Labor Day 2000 we did a jump that when all was said and done went to hell quickly. I deployed my micro raven 150, crossed the runway, turned and landed it on my feet. EVERYONE, was surprised since I had flown student Mantas up to my downsize to the 170 two days before, and my rigger said I should be fine for a hundred or so jumps until I had a cutaway (statistically). He later told me if I wanted to know what color the thing was that bad he would have checked his book!!!

I now have a PD 129 and I jump a Spectre 135 so there isn't much difference in size thankfully.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

18 reserve rides in total.
2 rides on reserves that I owned and packed (#2 and #18). Incidentally, my second reserve ride was also my first "save" with a shiny new rigger rating.

#1 - 24 flat, non-steerable military surplus reserve, 1979.
#2 - 26 conical F-111 Defender round reserve, 1984.
#3 - 24 foot conical German-made round reserve, 1987.
#4 through #17 Stong 425 tandem reserves, 1993 through 1998.
#18 - Amigo 172 square reserve, 2002.

all reserve are rectangular

They are? :P

Except for the reserves that aren't rectangular :P But who wants to have one of those any way.
---------------

Microraven135-- 2jumps ( Liked it )
Microraven120-- 2 jumps (Liked it.)
Temp120 1jump (liked it)
MicroRaven109-m 2 jumps. (liked it the first time the second time was a much tighter landing zone. It was scary. I plan to replace it with a 113 or 126)

Approximately 4400 Skydives and 4000 packed by me. Strnage and Lucky enough. None of the Mals were self Packed.

I borrowed another riggers rig to test jump his new Main, (which was packed up by a new packer). Instead I was able to chase down the Main while flying his New Tempo. He let me pack his reserve back up. I've recieved Numerous bottles from people. This was the first time I had to buy a bottle for another rigger. Yep....Beer...It was a worthy causel
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I have 1 reserve ride on my PD143R after my Stiletto 120 became a "Spinetto". The cutaway and ride was uneventful. I used a container that now contains my older Stiletto 135 main in it.

A couple of weeks ago I had a few line twists on my 120 again and it threatened to become a "spinetto" again but I got on it quickly and kicked out of them.

I have a PD126R in this container and have demoed it at Quincy a couple of years ago. The canopy was real easy to fly and land and flew like a bigger canopy. I landed it in moderate temparatures and little or no wind and came out just fine.

The one thing nice about PD is that they do have these reserves set up as demo canopies but were kind of suprised that people don't take advantage and demo them.

The TSO standards require the reserve to open quickly. After all, our lives depend on it.

When I demoed the 126R at Quincy it opened brisk but not hard. When I had my cutaway the weekend after Quincy (3yrs ago) my 143R opened pretty quickly. I was slingshotted backwards upon cutting my Stiletto away from the spinning mal and was under a fully open reserve before I could blink my eyes.

At 5K field elevation I don't think it would be prudent to jump a small reserve. The air is just to thin at opening altitude and landing it or any small canopy at 5K is just operating on the edge of the envelope
for the canopy.

Chris

I used my Raven 3 a year & 1/2 ago Crosskeys and it was fine.
I actually feel better now that I know I will respond properly to a mal.
I weigh 212 and my new 2nd rig has a 170 tempo(I have no intention of making my reserve ride wilder than what I had to cut away just before).