bwilling

Have you jumped your reserve?

I rode my Raven 2 reserve a few months ago - it didn't flare for shit. Barely turned. At least it opened - I guess you can't expect a reserve to perform that well, but honestly, I took a bad opening on the main and was kind of beat up - it would have been nice to at least stand up the reserve.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Since my reserve has been the same size or one size bigger than any main I have owned, it was a relative piece of cake to land on a no wind day last spring - it even planned out during the flare (which surprised the frig out of me). There is wisdom in the suggestion I have heard repeated before of one trying out a demo reserve in place of thier main - to get a feel for it before you need it.

When I was jumping the old PC I had to land under my front mount round reserve. It was so big, I didn't have a problem.
I had a spinning malfunction a few years ago and had to use my reserve. It's a 145 something. My main in a 120, so I landed just fine. My rigger hates me when I need a repack, since my rig is smaller. Oh well, I want something that's going to set me down nice.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I had a reserve ride yesterday, although the reserve is bigger than most of you ppl jump as main.
The main was (is) Skymaster 230, the reserve Tempo 210.
It fly a little lighter than the main but landed well andI had not problems standing it (the landing).
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

had my first reserve ride early (jump 73) was funny how i was thinking about getting on a sunset lead the night before at Perris, but something told me not to.

went up on a load at the old Parachutes over Palm Springs the next morning and broke 6 lines on my main after a line dump.

the landing area was open desert so I found all my gear with out too much trouble. oh, BTW, loved the ride on my PD reserve.:ph34r:

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

For a few years I thought about doing an intentional to have experience with my reserve, but never got around to fully organizing it.

Then I started doing some CRW, so last summer the problem solved itself. ;)

After my friend and I both cut away from our canopy entanglement, it looked like I'd back up my Phantom 24 to a landing near the pea gravel bowl. But a stronger wind starting at 200 ft grabbed me and made the ground race by pretty quickly, surprising both me and onlookers. The rate of descent felt OK, but I was a little tense about the upcoming landing with the high horizontal speed.

My landing was 75 m downwind of the bowl, rolling backwards. (I should have turned slightly to be able to roll to one side, or tried the trick I didn't think about at the time, which is to twist ones' position under canopy to face the desired direction. This was only my second jump on a round.)

The landing was a little rough, with a bit of whiplash action from the backwards somersault, but I wasn't sore at all. I jumped up, started hauling in the partially inflated round, and shouted out, "Now THAT was a fun jump!"

Winds on the DZ anemometer were 15-18 mph, gusting 20. I was loading the Phantom 24 with a total suspended weight of a moderate 170 lbs.

Since I'm a rigger, and the weather turned bad the rest of the day, my friend and I spent a leisurely afternoon repacking our reserves and untangling chopped mains. No extra cost at all!

Round canopies can be neat although a little more nervewracking when it comes to planning the landing.

I rode my Raven 2 reserve a few months ago - it didn't flare for shit. Barely turned. At least it opened - I guess you can't expect a reserve to perform that well,

Yikes. There are definitely reserves out there that turn and flare nicely. Don't put up with a sucky reserve! Do you still have that one in your rig?? Did you have a rigger check it out?

Hey Aggie.

Well - I chop a lot. I'm a cutaway junkie. If my main isn't perfect - It's gone. I have 17 reserve rides from chops or totals - 19 if you count a prem in the door of a 182 and a Tandem where I couldn't get the drouge out.

OK. So I've done a lot of 4 way rotation CReW..:)

I've landed 23ft Tri Connicals, 26ft Lopo's, a bunch of Swift 5 cells, a PD 126, a load of Predator 150R nine cells, PD Tandem 360's, a Tempo 150 and the last 3 on my Tempo 120. I have to tell you that maybe my diagnostic performance sucks - but they all landed just fine and within the design spec expected of the canopy. My Tempo is loaded to 1.65 and I'm 5000ft ASL. And I'm always on the next load. No "running out of flare." Just fly the rag.

When someone is all juiced after their chop - and screw up a landing... then wait a week and demo a canopy when they are fine - that's not a better canopy. It's a less stressed pilot.

t

It's the year of the Pig.