mnischalke

D License Deadline

The current requirements for the licenses expire on Sept. 30. I wanted to see if folks were altering their jumping pace to accomplish the licenses before the qualifications go up. I have some safety concerns about racing to get there (as I have seen personally) as well, but would love to hear your thots.

Sorry the silly little faces didn't work. Just ignore them.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I wouldn't say I'm rushing, but just by taking my time and doing my normal number of jumps I'll have 200 by then. I'm actually hoping to have 200 by next weekend. ;)

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I will admit that I did do a few extra jumps this last year because I wanted to get my D before Sept 30th. But I also did tons of jumps because I enjoy doing them and would like to get better. Besides, I'm not naive enough to think that now that I've applied for my D (two weekends ago), I am an expert skydiver (I'm nowhere near being an expert). I got humbled last weekend doing some freeflying with a friend who has similiar jump numbers to myself and the dude is currently a much better freeflier than I am. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have a long way to go. I'll probably get a C and forget about it unless I decide to rent a second rig at a big turbine DZ and do hop 'n pops 'til I puke in September. Anyone interested?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

ive been dragging my feet on another night jump and water training..hopefully i can get them knocked out before then, but its not a huge deal if i dont..

I began jumping last september...I was worried that I wouldn't make my goal - 200 - before this coming september. If the weather would have cooperated, and getting off student status didn't take as long as it does, and every thing in the world was aligned in harmony, :P, Maybe. But I'll paraphrase what the DZO at the DZ I call home said to me when I brought it up to him. I said something like, "Hey todd, I really need to get some jumps in so that I'm not rushing at the end of the year to get my D-Liscense." He just looked at me and said that simply,"There are alot worse things that can happen to you other than not getting your D before September." I sat there and thought about it then, and I still think about it now. And he's perfectly right...I can think of a bunch of worse things than not getting my "D" and having to wait until 500.
Do I still want to make my goal? - Of course I do. Will I? I dunno, but I don't think it is all that safe to fixate on it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I think it's possibly more about currency and experience rather than jump numbers. Equipment and times have changed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the jump number requirements have not changed since USPA's inception. Yes, I have a D license, but I had over 300 when I actually met all the requirements. At 200 I was skydiving pretty well, but not good enough to consider myself a "Master" skydiver. It also got me that a lot jumpers cooked their log books on the accuracy skills. Whatever. At 500 I felt that I had reached and earned that status. Now at ~700 I believe the jump number requirements are going in the right direction. One area that may create some controversy is the requirements for the AFF ratings. I haven't heard how they will change, but currently the candidates need 6 hours of FF and a D license. Anyone hear or know differently?

Shark
D-24499
AFF-I

I have 650+ jumps and my D not a big deal, I don't feel that I have mastered anything yet. I definately think the night jumps shouldn't have been included in the requirements. I have been on plenty of sunset jumps that end with it being dark on the ground, maybe not pitch black but definately dark. I'm not sure I want to be in the air with people that aren't prepared for this. Just my 2cts.

Unless I'm mistaken, virtually all of the existing requirements will remain the same except that the jump numbers (and associated free fall times) will be increased. Of course if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will flame (or was that correct me). :)

A - 25 jumps
B - 100 jumps
C - 200 jumps
D - 500 jumps

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm holding out and trying to be the first to get their D under the NEW rules...

I may just wait and apply for my C after 9/30 just for the hell of it..

I'm the same as Cornholio, I'll have the #'s regardless. I do think the "D" is meaningless at this point. A C means more to me under the new rules than a D does. Be serious, what's it get me? another #? I'm not going to be competing anytime soon, and it's not like I'm going to get any more respect for having a D or something...

Maybe that'll change....
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Unless I'm mistaken, virtually all of the existing requirements will remain the same except that the jump numbers (and associated free fall times) will be increased. Of course if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will flame (or was that correct me). :)

A - 25 jumps
B - 100 jumps
C - 200 jumps
D - 500 jumps

Well hell. I've got 69 jumps so i guess i have enough time to get the jumps in for my C license before 9-30.

my understanding is that all privileges will remain attached to the numbers, not the license..ie license to compete will be the C 200 jumps not 500 for the new D.

Already had it in the '80's. I have a friend working to finish quick. needs another 20 or so and it is impacting him.

I'd rather see another catagory than just changing the requirements.

Maybe also a catagory for all around skydiver. Has to be proficient to some level in all the disciplines (RW, FF, CrW, landing/swooping). Maybe that will keep the FFers from burning the RW suit and the RWs from missing out on FF. It's not a weekend for me without some fast 4-way AND some headdown.

Little CrW lately at my DZ. I miss it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I got my D last fall, when I had around 400 jumps.

I couldn't in good conscience get my D before I could justify my abilities to myself. I wanted to be at a point where I felt comfortable with getting the rating.

I can't quantify this. I am not saying I waited until I was an expert, or until I was a "master", or until I was an awesome skydiver. I waited until I felt I was ready.

This waiting brought me pretty close to what the new requirements are, even though those requirements were not published at the time.

My thoughts are that people who chase ratings just for the sake of having that rating are doing it for the wrong reason. Ratings are supposed to say certain things about you, and if it isn't "ballpark" remotely accurate you're being dishonest to yourself and your friends.

Don't apply for ratings because you want them. Apply for ratings because you honestly believe you're ready for them.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

im pushing 400 skydives done night jumps, water training and taken my written test for my b and c . why do i have only an a liscense? cuz who gives a sh@# what letter your uspa card has on it. it dont make you a better skydiver especialy with the insanly low jump requirments. theres many C and D holders you wouldnt catch me in the air with. i guess i like my little A as a quiet protest. until i need my D im proud to be A-41778
>

Our D is different. (South Africa, PASA)

It's been 300 jumps for a long time - about 10 years. In addition, it's disipline specific, so for FS, you need to have attended nationals, a sactioned boogie, been on a 16 way, a couple of 8's docking 5th or higher, and some other stuff. For CReW, its Big stacks and BiDi stuff etc.

We're also hoping on the FAI bandwagon around September.

I think 500 for a D is nothing. It should be at least a 1000. I have nearly 4000 now, and I'm no expert skydiver - that I know.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I've rushed a little to make the cutoff, but I'm over 200 now and can make the date easily enough. I don't know all of the ramifications for international standards, but changing these requirements seems capricious to me. If the USPA wants a 500 jump license, why not add an E license? After these changes, we'll have D license holders with fewer than 300 jumps while jumpers with over 400 can't obtain a D license. DZOs will waive requirements to account for the disparity, so nothing will really change.

The USPA could add a 1000 jump license and a 5000 jump license too, but at some point, it's only a pointless game of one-upsmanship. Most of us will never have 5000 jumps, because we can't afford to spend $100,000 on lift tickets, even over a lifetime. Specialized distinctions in particular disciplines make more sense, but we don't need licensing for these distinctions. We need competitive events.

I could give shit less about what the requirements are. Other than the jump numbers, I could have gotten my D at around 90 jumps (and yeah, they should have just made an E).

Correct me if I missed a post along the line. Hell, maybe it's just me who sees this happening. But, out of 106 votes so far (this is far from scientific, I agree) 21 people are admitting to "rushing" to get their stuff done.

Does anybody else see a problem with this? Can we be safe while in a rush to get something done?

Just something to think about.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.