andy2

What do your parents think of your skydiving?

well mine are pretty ok too. My mom just doesn't want to think about it too much, because she gets scared then.
But i really hate it that my dad doesn't remember what's FreeFly. everytime he asks me what will i be doing this weekend, i response: i'll be freeflying. and he asks, what's that? isn't that like when you're grabbing with someone in the air... and i explain it to him every time over and over again... arghh :S :D
They are great otherwise :)
"George just lucky i guess!"

Well, my mom is great about it, actually did a tandem and wants to do more. She says that if it's my time to go, it'll happen one way or another.

My dad was another story. He was very against it at first, tried talking me into scuba instead (he has done a bit of that). It was so annoying that I stopped talking to him about it. Then I sent him some of my student videos along with something I wrote trying to describe why I love it. Since then, he's much more understanding and supportive. I wouldn't say he's crazy about the idea, but at least I can talk to him about it. He has said he never wants to actually watch me, though. His sister watched one of my cousins do her tandem and told him that it was the hardest thing she's ever done. I don't think that helped my cause. That's okay, though. We don't live close anyway, so it's no big deal.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

My dad won't even watch if I'm on the local news from a demo. "I don't even want to see it."

Got really chewed on for doing some base jumps back in the '80's.

Now he's afraid his fiance is going to sneak off and do a tandem with me.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

My Parents though it was a one off. When both me and my cousin became regular they didn't know what to say. My Parents were OK i suppose, but my Cousins Parents were awful. They made him get the train instead of oming in the car with said he could only gor 6 times a year etc..

Eventually he found ways to get around them, but I still don't think they know he jumps as often as he does.
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

I picked that my mom tolerates it. Before my dad died, I'd say she tolerated it a lot more. Since dad has died, she wouldn't complain if I quit. But, I've got to give her a lot of credit. She does say that if it makes me happy and I enjoy it to go for it. But, she definitely is afraid if she knows that I'm going to jump.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Let's just say the less I talk about it the better. You would think after 25 plus years of skydiving they would finally accept it. But NO..........Their biggest worry is that my oldest son will be turning 18 this year and he's looking forward to his first jump.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

[QUOTE]btw, why does a parent's opinion matter anyway? We do what we love no matter what anybody else seems to view. [/QUOTE]

I suppose it doesn't. But, then again, my relationship is different than most 20 year olds with their parents, they've HELPED me so much the last few years, theyre more like friends, and I truly do value their opinions. Thats probably why it means more to me than normal, but I expect a lot of people secretly wish their parents approved if they don't...

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

My mother and father divorced many years ago, so I'll answer for them seperately. My dad is a retired air force jet fighter pilot and a retired airline pilot and the only way he would jump out of an airplane was if it was shot down or something like that. So he thinks I'm crazy. But surprisingly my mom seems okay about my jumping (you'd think mom wouldn't want me to do it). Most of my family is pretty conservative (you know being married or divorced, living in the suburbs with 2.4 kids and all). So having a son who skydives probably gives her something to brag about with her friends (she took one of my early jumping videos to show people). Just wait until I make a freefly movie with some of my camera footage I've been gathering these last few months. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My Mom worries. She thinks I am crazy. But considering her and my Dad ride Harlies all the time she can't complain. Riding motorcycles is more dangerous than what we do ;) She won't jump unless I become a tandem master.. Hopefully next year I can get that rating..

Rhino

My father was quite supportive from the start. My mother was a different story. At the beginning she prayed for bad weather so I wouldn't be able to jump. After 2 months of nasty weather and no skydiving weekends, my mood was so terrible that she started praying for good weather!!! And since then she is fully supportive, she understood how important it is for my well being, how much I need this activity to clear my mind.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Their biggest worry is that my oldest son will be turning 18 this year and he's looking forward to his first jump.

Amazingly enough, my parents came out to the dz to watch my son do his first jump. Mom was a huge bundle of nerves, even after we'd both landed safely and she'd seen the huge grin on Dave's face (at that point I think it was fear that he'd decide to keep jumping ;)).

She said she'd have been fine if we'd not told her when he was jumping, but since she knew she had to be there. :S

Our kids are damn lucky to have mom's like us!

Parents...Say Right on Son..Kick ASS You Bad Mo-Fo..ha..ha... My Parents are the Coolest on the planet. They see me when I Skydive and after I landed I got this Big Ass Grin on my Face they Love it and Most of all I think they like to see me happy above all. So to my Cool Parents..more Power to ya both..Right on..Luv Ya Mom and Dad...Son..Toby.B|..;)

I think there is an option missing on this pole. My parents fall somewhere between the top 2. They came along and helped out during the first boogie I organised and loved the atmosphere and vibe of the whole thing. Then people my parents and I knew died in seperate skydiving accidents within a month and suddenly (not surprisingly) there not quite so keen. But at least they understand having been involved, even in a on the ground type of way. It took a day before my old man was running around in a boogie t-shirt trying to talk strangers into doing a tandem. :)

Luke has tons of time in the tunnel, so I think he'll do fine in freefall. It's the canopy control that I'm worried about. If he flies a canopy the way he drives a car I'll be a bundle of nerves.

Yes, our kids are damn lucky they have great mom's like us.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I answered with "they make it clear that...."
But it's more complicated than that.

My mom makes it clear that she will never like it, but my Dad, he seems to at least try to understand.(although the vibe I get from him is never really good.)
He did come out to watch once, but like most whuffos, he was "bored."
Granted, Skydiving is not really a spectator sport, but the last few minutes can be pretty eventful.
(I've seen my landings):$

My grandfather, he just thinks that if it makes me happy, then do it. Just don't come crawling, or hobbling to me if you get hurt.;)

Then...there's my grandmother...60 something, she's done her third tandem, and is considering tandem progression. She puts a little money away in her DZ account now and then, I think she has the money together for a fourth tandem <(Oh yeah, Gramps only knows of the one she did after christmas, that was her x-mas preasant)> She gets almost as exited about me jumping as I do, sometimes even more...she's so great. I think she's going to do her fourth during the "Summer Jam" the 20th of this month at Skydive Aggieland. As well as volenteering to help around the DZ.

So as you can see, it's a little mixed in the opinion area.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My grandson's, other grandparents are scared that I will be having their (mine too) grandson jumping out of 'perfectly good airplanes'! Ha! I tried to explain to them about perfectly good airplanes, but they didn't get it. I also told them, I wouldn't 'make' him skydive;). Hehehe......only if he wants to jump, but then he is only 2, but I 'fly' him around the room and we're working on his arch!!!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I'd like to think mine are proud of me, but since they're dead I'm not sure! I know my father was really tickled when I got my private pilot's license (in the late '70's). My mom may actually have done a tandem given her adventurous spirit and a beer!!
Attitude is everything!

My entire family thinks that I'm insane. My mom tolerates it but I know she hates the fact that I jump. Unfortunately for me, one of the BIG reasons that my family hates the sport because they feel that it isn't something that young african-american ladies should do. They call it "That white sport." I mean "WTF?" I personally don't classify ANY sport by race. I know there aren't a lot of my people in the sport but that's by choice not because someone is standing at the DZ door saying...."Huh...yeah...you may not have realized but this is a "Non-African American sport but feel free to use the basketball court"

When I went through my AFF course last year, I let my AFF instructors know, "My family says that y'all are probably gonna try and kill me soooo...please be gentle :o)"

So yeah...my family worries

PMS #62
Zarza R[red

Ok, in 1973 I wanted to jump. I was 20 and the legal age in Florida was 21. I went out to Z-Hills and got the waiver for my parents to sign. They said "Not a chance we're signing anything that let's you jump from a perfectly good airplane" (they had never seen a jump plane). On July 1st, 1973 the legal age in Florida dropped to 18 and it happenned to be a Sunday. I made my first jump that day.

My parents just said they hold their breath until the weekend is over. They finally came out and watched a jump when I had about 500. I'd have to say they dealt with it, but didn't really understand. Anytime there was a fatality where we (my older brother was jumping too) were that weekend, we called them right then before it got on the news so they would know it wasn't one of us. In 1000 jumps from 73 to 80, they only saw that one jump.

Today, I'm thinking of a 30 year anniversary jump at Z-Hills on July 1st. My Mom is only OK about it...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519