Erroll

Your nicest aircraft to (solo) exit from?

I have been fortunate to have exited from around 16 different kinds of aircraft, ranging from a C180 taildragger to the Porter, the Casa, the big Antanov AN12, to the C130, and I have special memories from most of them. The C130 was during the so-called Swiss boogie at Zwartkops Airbase - it was certainly the most 'dramatic' exit of them all - walking out on the ramp with three sides open - the massive propwash that really whacks you in the back. But my most memorable exit was out of a converted DC3 turbo (coincidentally also at Zwartkops). With that huge propeller right there on exit it was almost as if one could walk up the hill. You could really fly it.

I was curious - in terms of the exit (not in terms of being able to launch the best formation or get the most jumpers in the door), just the exit, which has been the nicest aircraft to exit from for you?

i like exiting any turbine with a door on the side cause you can pull off multiple barrel rolls from the pressure the relative wind puts on your body on exit. B|

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

In my limited experience, I've jumped a helicopter, caravan, skyvan, c182, porter, and otter. Aside from the helicopter jump, my favorite exit is out of the skyvan. Sometimes I like to do a kind of swan dive exit off the ramp, go inverted, and watch the plane as I fall away......

13 different types, none as big as some of the ones you've jumped.

Personal favourite has to be the skyvan. I took a grip on the bar underneath the tail and swung out of the plane so I was litterally hangning there being towed through the sky. Then just dropped off on the key given by my mate from the inside. Loads of fun.

I can only count 8 different types of aircraft that I've jumped. I like 182, 206 and Cherokee 6 because they're so small, do a floating exit and you're head and shoudlers above the top of this little toy plane. But my favourite (and most memorable) exits have come from the Skyvan in my wingsuit. Let everyone else out, get the pilot to ramp the speed up and exit with your wings open - awesome fun. :)
Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Have only jumped three planes so far.. CASA, King Air, Twin Otter. Each is different..liked all of them, can't say I had a favorite.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

By far I have to say that my fav. plane to exit is the CASA. I think tailgate planes are awesome. Its a bit different than exiting out the side of the plane, but its so nice.:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

nope-

3/75th Ranger Batt. 1994

Sure, I was a little weighted down with gear and it was static line, but still pretty damn cool! I had 17 military jumps total all from C130 or 141 except the one Blackhawk. But I have countless fast ropes from that bird. (not as much fun!)

Limited experience, 3 aircraft so far. Twin Otter, King Air, and 182.

Man, I got to go with the 182. I like the 182. It gots personality. Especially the last exit, where I had to climb over the Tandem, cause she wasnt goin NOWHERE :ph34r:. And I had the sky to myself:)
dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Done the C-141, 130 and I think the other one was an OV-10 Bronco (not sure of the nomenclature on that one I could be wrong). They were all static line.

Freefall - 182 and Twin Super Otter. Gotta say I like the Otter the best so far.

Of course I have done some spy-rigging. THAT WAS A BLAST!:P (Think barefoot water skiing only in the sky and hanging from the bottom of a Heuy and only being able to control spin, but still fun).

Would not mind doing a swan dive like ReLLik said. Maybe I need to get to a dz with a back door equipped aircraft. Sounds cool. Cannot imagine doing it off the Otter though.

182 was cool but the ride to alt sucks so bad I do not want to do it again. I am too big and not limber enough to move around in that thing without pissing the pilot off.:S

which has been the nicest aircraft to exit from for you?

A B-17, exiting through the bomb bay doors. By far my favorite exit, and the coolest aircraft I have ever jumped (I have been fortunate enough to have a pretty long list as well).

I was facing aft, with one foot on the structural rib of the left bomb bay door, and the other foot on the bomb rack in the center. I simply hopped up, putting my arms straight down at my sides, and my legs straight and together, and dropped into the relative wind. I then did a backwards gainer and dove down to join my friends who had exited before me (both from the bomb bay and the waist gunner doors).
Arrive Safely

John

Actually, you can jump the OV-10. 4-6 s/l parachutists are carried, and basically exit the rear (not visible in the pic) as the a/c executes a "pop-up" delivery. Yes - the pilot pulls back on the stick, the jumpmaster (#1 jumper) releases his seatbelt, and the jumpers slide right out.

Limited experience, 3 aircraft so far. Twin Otter, King Air, and 182.

Man, I got to go with the 182. I like the 182. It gots personality. Especially the last exit, where I had to climb over the Tandem, cause she wasnt goin NOWHERE :ph34r:. And I had the sky to myself:)
dropdeded

My appreciation for the 182 exit is it's the one that gives you the biggest sky, because the airplane is taking up so little of it. ;)

I've only done two planes - 182 and Caravan. I like the Caravan for the view - looking over that wing (no engine in the way) at the sky and the mountains, and the door you could push an elephant out. But I like the 182 because it's more comfortable for me - so much stuff to hang onto. And if you stand in the crotch you can feel a 85 mph wind on yer bum. Maybe that will seem less novel when I get to sitflying.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I've only jumped out of a Cessna (no idea what number), a skyvan, and a King Air, but I absolutely loved the skyvan! Get a good running start and just dive out going completely unstable! That was soooo much fun! But I also love the King Air. It's such a great plane. B|

Kelly