Unstable

NEVER JUMPED A 182?!??!?!?!

Maybe I am Naive - Maybe I'm the deprived one here - But I am just discovering that there is a good number of people with hundreds of jumps that have NEVER jumped a 182?? What Gives?? Do these people consider the 182 a "Novelty" Aircraft?? Are there any of those "deprived" or "Spoiled Rotten" jumpers out there who could help me understand this?
=========Shaun ==========

I think I was one of those "spoiled rotten" individuals you speak of for a good while. See, we are fortunate enough to have a Casa 212 at my home dz, and the only other aircraft we had at the time was a Beech 18. No cessna until the next season. So it wasn't until I had close to 80 jumps that I made my beer Cessna dive. Damn, that seems like a loooooooong time ago!!! :SB|

I know that 80 jumps is nothing, especially considering that was years ago, but thats weird as hell for high number jumpers to never jump a Cessna!! :S

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

See, we are fortunate enough to have a Casa 212 at my home dz

Poor baby........

BTW - MyOwnWay told me that you would be helping her with some freefly stuff this Holiday Boogie - I'd Like to warn you about this one - we had a long discussion Yesterday about stinking up the plane and how she does it way too much......B|
Actuallly, MyOwnWay is really usefull to have on any load, if you ever rip one and need a scapegoat, THERE SHE IS!!!! :$

Most of mine are from our good ole 182. Bit cramped, but I love to jump them. However, Beech 99's, Otters and Casas are cool too!

"a BIT cramped" you say? sheez..how bout a lot cramped! LOL! I jumped out of a C-182 at Gold Coast Thanksgiving Weekend after the Otter needed repair. Going from an Otter to the C-182 was a major "mental transition" for me..so, I'll stick with KingAir and Otters for a while.:)

I am a turbine brat and admit it! However, in a couple of months I will be going to jump at a DZ with only a 182 right now...So for me, this will definitely be a treat!!!^_^ (Scary part is that I am learning how to fly a 172...hmmm...):)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

WE have a Super Otter as well as a 182. We almost always jump the Otter but on slow days we take the 182. I jumped it for a H&P but I really felt cramped and really did not enjoy the flight to altitude. I did however enjoy thi=e exit. But the Otter is more fun.

The Nearest Turbine to where I am is about 5 hours. Either the Otter in Sullivan or the King Air at Vernon. That Pilgramage makes for a long weekend.....

I didn't like jumping the 182 - until I learned to fly in a 152! A 182 is huge compared to that!

Once before I got my pilot license, the door of the 152 flew open in flight and my CFI freaked out - it was pretty funny! He made me land and stop on the runway so he could shut the door - clearly a "WHUFFO"!
Rhonda
PP ASEL

It depends on what you like to do getting out, run like a dog is about to bite you in the ass(skyvan)
or fall out like a slab of meat while sitting in the door. I feel the only difference with them all 172,182
207,otter etc.. is the difference in time to get stable.
The helicopter rocks and wait to do the baloon.:)

My DZ ONLY has 182's in the colder months...so of all my jumps (and I know that they are NOT numerous, but I've enjoyed each one!! ;)) I think I have made maybe...6 from the Caravan? All others have been from the 182's.

I LOVE the 182's I've jumped from. I'm the first to admit that I haven't seen much else, but when you're talking 'roomier' and all, well I like the cramped quarters. :):))I can sleep going to altitude in a 182 even with a foot up against the window next to someone's ear and a rig jammed into my tummy; I couldn't do that in the Caravan.

And for my low experience level, I like the fact that at max there's only going to be 3 other projectiles in the air with me (and yeah, that's how I view other skydivers: in freefall, they are projectiles that can knock me out. Under canopy, they're all trying to wrap me up and kill me. :P). No crowding in the landing pattern with only 4 canopies out. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Call me an idiot, I LOVE jumping the 182.

Dont call me an idiot because of the 182 thing, call me an idiot because I am an idiot.:|

dropdeded

No, you're not an idiot at all. I've jumped many types of aircraft including many hundreds of 182 jumps. It's a good, solid jump aircraft. I jump an Otter now but I always enjoyed all my 182 jumps.....

is the difference in time to get stable.

If you present to the relative wind on exit you'll be stable just out the door of any (jumpable) airplane.

Most of my first 700 jumps were out of 182's and 206's. I'm been spoiled by Otters and Skyvans with benches but I do miss being able to talk to everyone else on the plane.... and kissing the pilot on the way out the door. :D

I've jumped a 182 many times, but thankfully I've avoided taking any tandems out of them so far. I shudder at the dark prospect.

There is one thing about 182's that is really cool, tho. Most skybaby freeflyers probably never heard of a "horny gorilla", but for those who remember, the 182 was the best for setting one up, and getting a perfect launch. One foot on the step, everyone, join hands, and lets go....:P

1st Cesna jump #106, then 108, then not again until 231. A dozen or so since then. For me it's almost all Otters and Caravans, with a few Casa's thrown in (as many or more than C-182 jumps). And a balloon once. Balloons are cool. Every Skydiver should jump a balloon at least once.

The C-182 a still a novel, enjoyable jump plane to me. My first couple night jumps were from a Cesna. I really enjoyed the extra time to altitude. I think night jumps are safer from a Cesna. Less people and canopies flyin' around.

Actually, I was scared to death my first Cesna jump, and had passed up several chances before I got the nerve to try one.

Now I enjoy Cesna DZ's, visit them as often as I can, and do not consider their jumpers "Deprived". They all looked like they were having fun to me...:)
Yep, Cesna DZ's rock. Never been to one with bad people or a bad vibe. Just skydivers having fun, like at my turbine DZ.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Call me an idiot, I LOVE jumping the 182.

Dont call me an idiot because of the 182 thing, call me an idiot because I am an idiot.

dropdeded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, you're not an idiot at all. I've jumped many types of aircraft including many hundreds of 182 jumps. It's a good, solid jump aircraft. I jump an Otter now but I always enjoyed all my 182 jumps.....

Ahh, but I AM still an idiot;)

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

taking any tandems out of them so far. I shudder at the dark prospect

Tandems with video out of a 182 is sort of an art form,and I only say that having watched it.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.