jeremyneas

Ever chopped a perfectly good main?

Now who has chopped a perfectly good main, went into extended freefall and pulled the reserve?

This EXCLUDES parachute systems equipped with more than TWO total parachutes at aircraft exit time.

If you wish to remain anonymous thats ok, for the bold...

What were the details? (time, place, equipment...etc...)

Did you regret doing it in front of young, idolizing, jumpers?

Did the S&TA or DZO bust you or kick you off the DZ permanately/temporarily?

Did you loose any equipment after the stunt?

Did your rigger refuse to put the equipment back together for fear of another intentional deployment?

Was peer pressure (to be known as the boldest)?

Did 'Swoop' in the movie "Dropzone" inspire you to do this stunt? ;)

Now who has chopped a perfectly good main, went into extended freefall and pulled the reserve?

Yep, once.

This EXCLUDES parachute systems equipped with more than TWO total parachutes at aircraft exit time.

Right, once with only 2 total parachutes, 50+ with 3 parachutes (ended up down to the last canopy on one of those)

Not like anyone can do anything.

This year, VX-60 main, PD-106R reserve.

Nah, if people are dumb enough to do what I do, they deserve what they get. I should get a shirt that says; “Do not try this at home”

Nope.

Nope, did it too low for anything to go very far.

Did your rigger refuse to put the equipment back together for fear of another intentional deployment?

I put my own stuff back together. I figure if I packed the reserve and I intentionally used it and it doesn’t open, I deserve what I get.

Nope, just bored.

Derek

I saw a guy jump with a 24' Lo-Po round reserve, pull it first, get a hook knife and cut it away and pulled his main. That takes balls AND lack of brains.

I personally have only done intentionals on a 3 canopy rig.

I had a line-over, so, after trying all the obvious to get put it right I decided to chop. Looked down for the handles, did my reserve drills to absolute perfection and watched my reserve deploy.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine was watching all this unfold, told me that the line came of while I was looking down at my handles.

Go figure.....

Well, lesson. When you decide to chop, don't hesitate, just do it. The rock is hard and coming nearer all the time. I am glad I chopped the canopy, even though it was aparently perfectly good. Last view I had of it, it was not flying

straight and level

, so it had to go.

The feeling of returning to freefall was so good that I will in future not hesitate to chop, and may even do it for fun.
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"

I have.
I hooked a T-10 Round to my Javelin XRS. We packed the T-10 in a tandem bag, with a static line attached to the bag. I held it [the tdm d-bag] in my hand, did a poised exit off the C-182, and let the bag go. It opened great. After a few minutes I cut it away, and deployed my PD 113R. Lost the freebag on the jump. I did it on a day when there were no students, just a few experienced jumpers.
btw, does a T-10 count as a 'perfectly good' main? ;)

Lance

I had a thing with spring-loaded pilot chutes. In about 35 jumps with them, I got two PCs under the canopy. The first one came around the back, wrapped around a "C" line, and led to my chopping a "perfectly good main". The second one came around the front and fully reinflated under cell 7L, I believe, but I flew and landed that one.

The details should remain partially anonymous, but the clearest contributions are my not knowing my controllability check cold before I got in the plane, and not doing my controllability check thoroughly immediately after opening (and clearing air).

I regret foolishly chopping a canopy with only a "cosmetic" malfunction, and doing so because my hard deck was upon me and I was rushed to make my decision to chop or keep, and I was rushed because I did a half-ass controllability check immediately after opening.

I'm proud to have made and executed my decision by (at ;)) 2k, proud of how I pulled that handle (SOS), proud that my main landed in the field with me (I spotted that one OK), and proud I kept all my handles and I wasn't freaked out. Stood the landing up, too.

I regret causing the DZO to unnecessarily repack the reserve. I don't really regret buying liquor for the rigger who previously packed it because the reserve opened fine and he needs the alcohol.

All in all, this is one of my best jumps ever because of the distinctive ride and some of the details I have left out. *cough*lightning*cough*

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I have a question for you? What are your motivations behind this thread? Why such the pointed choices?

Now who has chopped a perfectly good main, went into extended freefall and pulled the reserve
?

Yep. A couple times. Plus several with 3 parachutes.

What do you mean by that? If I wish to be anonymous I could'nt answer your questions

The first time was on an Eclipse with a Stiletto 97 Main and a Micro Raven 135 Reserve. What else do you want to know?

Not Applicable

Nope

Nope

I tend not to refuse myself of any of my rigging needs.

No

Did 'Swoop' in the movie "Dropzone" inspire you to do this stunt? ;)

The movie wasn't thought of yet.
====

So once again, what are your motivations behind this thread?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I saw a guy jump with a 24' Lo-Po round reserve,

Back in the mid seventies when round reserves were the only reserves, I knew of several people who did what were referred to as canopy transfers. Perfectly good PC or square main... then they would pull the reserve blast handle ripcord and as the reserve started to inflate, they would chop the main by releasing the J-1 Capewell releases.

Sure did chop that thing..Whew....let me tell ya was in Quincy in 2000 demo new Canopys and such..Well decided to try out the Diablo from Aerodyne. Let em pack me up..Should have rechecked pack job but ..1 mistake. So me and buddy of mine both ready to try em out. Went to Pilot explained type of Jump we were to perform. So he said he would drop us out over racetrack..and there we would play with Canopy..etc Got out played little Rw..waved at buddy..pulled and all of a sudden good canopy overhead but noticed nose was facing wrong way..I was flying Backwards faster and more violently on this 120 Diablo..needless to say had plenty of Alt so I chopped just to make sure Reserve would really work..what the Hell a...couldnt really control that damn main backwards very well anyway..Turns out I dont regret it at all. Was over Trees and could not gain control of main...Landed in a Big Ass cowfield..Buddy was able to follow main..Saved my Ass Bro...lesson learned ..check your Stuff out no matter what..A...;)
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

Yes, I had a PC in tow. Went to reserve after playing with the bridle for a few. Once the reserve deployed the pressure was off the main pin and its PC deployed the main. Was greeted with two out and enough altitude to chop the elliptical main flying nicely in trail.

my first and only cutaway to date was one I could have landed... in retrospect I prob should have, but I am alive now and didnt get hurt so that also makes it the "right thing" to have done... it was a side step thru...so when I pulled my right toggle I went left...it was on a 220 fury and I chopped it at 3k... went immediately to the reserve and was all good... didnt get in trouble as it was a mal...not a super serious mal though...

ahh well...now with more experience Ill deal with a little more stuff before reaching for my handles

I answered "I have considered it" before I read the extent of the question.

I never considered doing it for the hell of it, but once I jumped a new canopy and upon deployment found out that the risers were for a person much taller than myself and I couldn't reach the toggles. For a few seconds I thought about cutting it away and decided not to since I did have a perfectly good canopy over my head. I got one line unstowed eventually and used my rear risers - the flare sucked and I fell to the side of the released toggle because I didn't get an even flare, but I didn't have to chop:)
Rhonda
PP ASEL

I checked the first box because I chopped a canopy that was flying perfectly fine, but it was a step through. I was still above 2000ft and hadn't touched my toggles. In heinsight I could'of and should'of (maybe) but I live by the philosophy of when if doubt whip it out and chop ching I was under a nice white reserve. Hard to explain later but I'm always happy to explain later when I may not have been able to at all.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"