rest

DC-9 at Perris

100 hr and annual inspection are the same. who can do / sign it off is diffrent a A&P can do both but only the IA can sign off the Annual

as for the jet. they's no 100 hours on those the FAA will have a schedule where everything is checked / maintenanced done on it say every 18 months or so.. A checks , B checks C checks etc.

Mike

It's about setting a standard that other dropzones can follow.

A standard thats impossible to maintain for most DZ's, and a standard not needed. Think about. You gonna want to make 6 jumps a day from a jet at 50+ bucks a pop? I think you will settle for the typical Otter like everyone else...and jump the jet as a novelty occasionally. Ask anyone who jumped the jet at Quincy - they loved it, but were soon going back to the regular skyvans/otters etc.

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

Its attitudes by local jumpers like that that will make sure other DZs will still prosper for a long long time.

Most jumpers in So Cal are very happy to have more than one dz to jump at, visit and jump at dz's other than their home dz on a regular basis and don't have the "my dz is the best" attitude.

I doubt that the owners of any other So Cal dz's are too worried about the jet hurting their business.

Hi Bytch

Most jumpers in So Cal are very happy to have more than one dz to jump at, visit and jump at dz's other than their home dz on a regular basis and don't have the "my dz is the best" attitude.

Variety is the spice of life, New faces, different attitudes, competition is good.:)
We've seen the "my DZ is best atitude" for a long time. I call it the "cult atitude". As a joke :)
Jet! Jet! Jet!:)
I can hear the rumors starting all over the skydiving world the Jet is coming to X boogie. WFFC might happen this year unless the FAA & Perris run into a snag, or something else happens.B|:(

Anyone know what the cost of a one way ticket on the "big BIRD" at perris is going to be?

R.I.P

I doubt that the owners of any other So Cal dz's are too worried about the jet hurting their business.

The slow-up is that there is still a lot of work going on in the plane. With extra contractors doing it and the paper trail that follows.

The Idea of such a plane baffles many a jumper and DZO alike. I'm sure the owners see value in its potential for movie work ( the local DC3 is a movie and commercial star many times over ). Then there is the summer boogie circuit ( how many of you winers have been tweeked by the lack-o-jet at WFFC ?). There may be money to be made with in other ways that we will never know. But it probably won't fly locally that much, due to the shear expense. It will be an attraction for those that can't make it to WFFC and those that are on the fence about swinging by Perris during the winter, spring and fall Boogies. It will probably only fly then once a day if not once each boogie. Think of it as just another jump platform option to have in your logbook.

BTW please don't think that everyone down here has some kind of elitist attitude. This is just not the case.

I agree totally, I feel this jet will set a new standard for dropzones in America. It's about setting a standard that other dropzones can follow.

Yesterday, to have a good dropzone, you needed a C-182. Today, you need a turbine aircraft.

Tommorow, you will have to have a jet like Perris.

I think it is great to see that level of progression in this sport.

Disagree. I see it as like a balloon jump or an inverted biplane jump. Not suitable for competition, big ways, or much else besides novelty. I'd certainly jump it once or twice, but I can't see doing it regularly.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Not suitable for competition, big ways, or much else besides novelty. I'd certainly jump it once or twice, but I can't see doing it regularly.

I am out in Perris at the beginning of April and I want to jump it at least a couple of times then. Any chance or is the certification months off yet?
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

50+ bucks a pop?

OK, do you know if that is how much Perris is going to charge per jump ticket?

Quit trying to tear down our new toy!!;)

Think how easy this is going to make everything!
If I want to go to the world freefall convention, I can just hitch a ride on the plane which I'm sure would charge a lot less than a real plane ticket.

That is what really excites me. I realize I won't be jumping this plane that often, it just makes things a lot easier to know I can just hitch a ride to all these events.

50bucks was a shot in the dark figure, but I bet im not far off the mark - could be more even. DO you realize how much those damn things cost to maintain?? All im sayin is there will be no regular jump ticket for that baby.

Still, id have no prob paying for a ticket @50+ for a cool novelty jump like that.

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

WFFC was charging I think $59 or $69 for jet tickets the last time they sold them. Also in the hitching a ride fee... ask a few of the people that flew on the DC3 to WFFC last year what they paid. I think they paid $200+ per ticket and were at the planes mercy on when they arrived and when they left. I'd rather pay another 50 and set my own schedule by planning a little bit further in the future.

Its going to be cool for a jump or two, but after that it just gets old.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ok, Other then a lot of people, a single file tail exit at (I'm assuming) a higher speed then the usual jumprun ... whats special about a jet ride? I know they climb fast, but is that it? do you usually go higher? (I'm not knocking the jet just wondering)

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

***is it correct that the plane is a former Swissair aircraft ??
---

Je pense que peut-etre. It has big engines and short body, all optimized for high altitude and fast climb in mountainous areas. perfect for skydiving.

that's why we have short porters with big engines... better for skydiving tha our F-18's :P:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Ok, Other then a lot of people, a single file tail exit at (I'm assuming) a higher speed then the usual jumprun ... whats special about a jet ride? I know they climb fast, but is that it? do you usually go higher? (I'm not knocking the jet just wondering)

Its really about the experience.

At Quincy, the giant smile that came over your face when the big caro door clamps down is awsome. just sitting on the floor with 150 others (I think that how many we were... cant remember now.... lol) is awsome. The speed it climbs, creating a fog in the cabin is awsome.

That being said, doing 10way speedstar is a freeking challenge that gets old after 1 go.

I really dont think that plane will be ferring jumpers at Perris all the time. If memory serves me right, from the article in Skydiving Mag, the plan was to have it do the boogie circuit.
Remster

I think they paid $200+ per ticket and were at the planes mercy on when they arrived and when they left.

Man, that is a rip off! If I hitch a ride on one of these planes, I don't want to pay more than $100 bucks roundtrip.

Why, because we would basically be treated like a piece of cargo, no seats, no bathrooms, no flight attendants to fluff my pillow and no food!

Not to mention, they would probably forget to pressurize the cabin, expect some hypoxia. We won't need to drink very much booze to get wasted!

It's ghetto style! I think the military transports at least give their boys seats to sit it!

We would have nothing, I'm assuming that they are tearing out most if not all the seats in the DC-9.

It is so easy for them to just let us tag a long for the trip, they have to fly there anyway, why not charge a smaller fee, just to help get people there?

I'm with you Phreezone, if they end up charging more than that, I'll just find my own ride.

IMO it's a novelty jump at the WFFC we even got a DB Cooper # and certific to hang on the wall. The exit speed is a blast you actually slow down in free fall.

Since the jumpers are exiting single file there's a distinct "whump" made for eaxch jumper as everyone on the pass shuffles forward the noise gets closer the line gets shorter the person in front of you disapears and you be gone. You hestitate, stop to think, etc your hosing everyone behind you.

Been there done that. Want to try Mullins bird next.

The Jump run will be strung out depending on the number of pass's the jet makes so take your cell phone and a pull up chord. ;)

BTW old skydiver saying. "Regardless of the size of the plane they will always load one more jumper than can comfortable fit in the plane":)
R.I.P.

It's Skydiving bro. The Pilots and the FAA alike hate us.

Skydivers are at the bottom of the food chain.
I would imagine anything they do for us is a favor.

Maybe you should learn more before you say things like this?

This is a perfect example.

I never realized that a special certificate was required in order for skydivers to be able to even open the door of any airplane in flight.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a DC-9, it will crush the competition.

Its attitudes by local jumpers like that that will make sure other DZs will still prosper for a long long time.

HEy please understand that the coments of one individual do not speak for the comunity.

Hmmm when did we last see Mr. Jaco at Perrris anyway? I thought he was a Taft only jumper now?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I think they paid $200+ per ticket and were at the planes mercy on when they arrived and when they left.

Man, that is a rip off! If I hitch a ride on one of these planes, I don't want to pay more than $100 bucks roundtrip.

$200 to fly round trip from southern California to Illinois in a DC3 is a ripoff? I've seen the Otis Spunkmeyer DC3 at airshows where they charged $50+ for a 20 minute ride!

It is so easy for them to just let us tag a long for the trip

It is? I'd think it'd be more of a hassle for the pilot/owners of the aircraft to let people "tag along." If they fly without passengers they don't have the extra weight, they don't have to wait around for people to show up - and they don't have to listen to the passengers whine.

Why, because we would basically be treated like a piece of cargo, no seats, no bathrooms, no flight attendants to fluff my pillow and no food!

How hard is it to bring along your own food, beer and maybe a PortaJohn (available from most pilot shops)?

Yeah, I'd say you are definitely better off going commercial and dealing with TSA and the hassles of getting to and from the major airport you are flying out of and to and from whatever boogie to whatever major airport you are flying into.

Personally I'd be all over the chance to fly from my home dz to WFFC and back in a jump plane - even if it cost me the same or a bit more than it would to fly commercial. But then again... I've already flown commercial one time and driven one time from SoCal for WFFC.

You're so right! Perris owes you, man, they should charge like $20.00 and a case a beer.

Sheesh kid - get a grip.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

>Not to mention, they would probably forget to pressurize the cabin,
> expect some hypoxia. We won't need to drink very much booze to
> get wasted!

You can't pressurize the cabin separately, so unless the pilots are going to use oxygen the whole trip, they'll probably pressurize. They pressurized the C-130's when they toted us around Thailand because it was easier on the crews.

>It is so easy for them to just let us tag a long for the trip . . .

There is a whole pile of regulations you have to meet if you fly passengers for hire that you don't have to meet if you are just taking jumpers up. Plus you have to deal with all the bitching.

>they have to fly there anyway, why not charge a smaller fee, just to
>help get people there?

Why _wouldn't_ they charge you whatever the cost was? (i.e. fuel plus pilot time plus depreciation on the engines etc.) Why should someone else subsidize your travel?

HEy please understand that the coments of one individual do not speak for the comunity.

Actually a lot of people feel that way. The owners obviously thought that way. When they built the wind tunnel, do you think they were worried about how that would affect surrounding dropzones?
If they had that jet turning loads often enough and cheap enough, it would crush the competition. Why make an argument over this?

For example, a lot fewer people are going to Orlando Skyventure, now that Perris has one on the West Coast.

Hmmm when did we last see Mr. Jaco at Perrris anyway? I thought he was a Taft only jumper now?

It's been a awhile bro, but I'm back. Did you miss me? I've been at Taft,CA all winter jumping the Mike Mullins King Air.

To make a long story short, I wasn't happy with the customer service I was getting.

edited to add: this had nothing to do with Mike Mullins. I don't want people to think that I'm talking about him.

Let's put it this way, the break from Perris was nice but I'm glad to be back at my home dropzone.

Buy me a beer next time you see me OK?:ph34r: