Kat1221

How many can actually pack?

It seems that more and more jumpers don't know how to pack, or learn just enough to get their licence and then forget. Just wondering how many people actually know hown to pack. I don't think I could afford to jump if I didn't know!
:)
Edited to add: Just wondering if you know how to pack - doesn't matter whether you use a packer or not!

I don't think I could afford to jump if I didn't know!

Hi Kat ... how's Calgary?

For the people who exclusively use packers, they are losing one jump for every four jumps that they make. If these people have the $$$ and use multiple rigs to get the most of their jump day, then all the power to them. But if they use packers because they are lazy or have little confidence in their own packing abilities, then they are the ones who ultimately lose out.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My weekend is my free time. When I am at the dz, I have three things that are part of my time there. Jumping, packing, and socialize with friends. I can only do 2 out of the 3 during the day.

I only pack when I am away at boogies and don't know the packers. I use the packers at zhills and they do a remarkable job.

Hi Kat ... how's Calgary?

Close - but Kyla is Calgary - I'm from Edmonton, even further north! Its good here - warming up, and we've been jumping every weekend since February now.
I have this in another thread... but come back to Canada! heehee :)

To answer my own question - I can pack pretty well everything, cuz we have a bunch of CReW dogs with Lightenings here. But, of course, thats just until I have multiple rigs and lots of money. (I'm open to donations...:P)

I don't want anyone else to pack for me. I guess I would trust some people, but I trust myself more. (maybe I have control issues) And if I were to have some kind of mal on my main (edited to say: because of packing error), I want to be responsible for that.;)

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

I've packed about 6 times in my skydiving career (not a very long career, I only have 25 jumps). My first pack job was on my AFF Level 3, and it was a slammer. My subsequent packs for myself on student gear were decent, but I packed a slammer for my husband once. This turned out to be a good thing because he opened low on that jump. :S After he landed, he came back to the hanger and taught me how to roll the nose on his Stilletto. :D

As of today...I can't pack my gear at all since I have a new ZP canopy. My hubby has offered to teach me how to psycho pack, which I think is the only way I'll be able to get it into the bag in a somewhat orderly manner.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I prefer to pack for myself. I can pack different types of chutes but I only propack. . .no flat packing, psycho packing or other unknown methods.

I have trouble packing my own equipment because my parachute is crispy zp (read: new) and a little tight for my bag, but I can do it. . .(thanks to all those who gave me pointers. . .)
FGF #6
Darcy

everytime this comes up it seems like people accuse those of us who use packers regularly of "not knowing how to pack".

I can pack. i've even done it a few times in the last hundred jumps or so ;).
I chose not to because i'm not that fast (i would certainly get faster if i worked at it but, but i doubt i'd ever be as fast as fred is and he rocks!!), it is the least enjoyable part of the skydive experience, and i simply cant jump as often in a day packing my own as i can if i pay a packer...

its a personal choice. for me it comes down to time or money, and I care far more about the time than the green pieces of paper it takes to hire a competent packer..

its still every jumpers responsiblity to inspect their own gear and i have no idea how someone who cant pack at all does that.....

But if they use packers because they are lazy then they are the ones who ultimately lose out.

I freely admit that I use packers because I'm lazy. Packing and rigging for a living for a year or two can do that to a person.

Once my jump numbers exceed my pack job numbers I may start packing again. I may not though... being lazy may be expensive but it also saves my back - and my fingernails. :ph34r:

I pack just about anything accept for rounds and reserves...

crew diaperbags are fun.. especially when you see the looks on peoples faces that havent seen one before:D

I pack for myself...and many others. I don't think there's anything wrong with people paying a packer. Like everything else in life, you choose how to spend your money. To some people skydiving is more enjoyable when they don't have to waste time or energy packing for themselves.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I do know how to pack, and have before, but after my knee surgery, I am unable to. It puts too much presure on my knee, however, it hasn't even been a year yet, so that might have something to do with it...of course now that I am ust to useing packers, I am not sure if I want to pack again...lol...Esp right now....pregnant belly gets in the way...

I always pack my own...

Just a habit and it gives me opportunity
to inspect the condition and wear I'm experiencing.

It's definitely not a trust or money thing.
I'm not that great a packer, ' Fluff & Stuff.'

Just ask Sparky...
"You REALLY gonna jump that?":o:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Still a student. Going to learn to pack in the next week or so and plan on doing it for myself from there on out (hope I'm good at it [:/]). It will be the one of the only ways I can continue to afford this sport.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Both from this thread and others on the topic, I've noticed that not packing is probably a large-DZ phenominon, at least for the most part. Where I jump, there are no packers. Everyone packs for themselves. Even tandem instructors pack the tandem rigs. It's just a completely different environment from somewhere like perris, z-hills, or eloy. I bet there are tons of small-DZ jumpers that would be shocked that there are jumpers out there with hundreds or thousands of jumps that don't (or can't) pack. If I was jumping at one of those huge DZs, I'm sure I'd be paying packers at least sometimes... when I'm in a rush or after an off landing and long walk back, or any time I'm feeling lazy. I hate packing, but I don't think I'd ever stop doing it completely.

Dave

Yeah - I'm in the same situation. Small DZ with no packers, so everyone has to pack. It was kind of weird the first time in Eloy, when I landed and was like 'lets do that again! I'll put us on a 15 minute call.' and a few people were like 'I think that packers are pretty busy - they'll need more than 15 minutes to pack my rig.'

Just in case anyone didn't see my edit - this was to ask if you know how to pack... doesn't matter if you use packers or not :)

Close - but Kyla is Calgary - I'm from Edmonton

My bad ... for some reason I thought you were a Calgary girl. But seeing as you're from Edmonchuk, well that changes everything. :ph34r: Well maybe not. I've been gone from Calgary long enough to no longer have that Calgary/Edmonton rivalry in my blood. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm on the same boat: Small DZ, I'm the only one who has started actively packing for money. I've found its good to take the drug dealer approach.... Fist one's free! :P