justaflygirl

At what jump was your first cutaway?

just curious, now that im a memeber of "the club" I thought I'd inquire about some of the cutaways' others have had. Mine was at jump #48![;

-------------------------------------------
damn surplus store parachutes ....:o)

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

just curious, now that im a memeber of "the club" I thought I'd inquire about some of the cutaways' others have had. Mine was at jump #48!;)

If I knew that I could make a fortune on the lottery.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

#72 a horseshoe.

it turns out the DZ was L-O-U-S-Y at maintining their rigs, and configuring them properly. and i didn't know better So, the loop was waaay long, no presure on the pin, and at about 4.5k i feel the bag on the back of my legs, and the risers flapping around my neck. i turn my head and see the bag above me. I pulled out the pilot chute (leg strap at the time) and this turns the malfunction into a bag lock, so i chop and open to see the most beautiful 28 round above my head. had this happened lower i might not be here... it took me about 2000ft from the time the pin came off until i was under reserve.... looking back on that (12 years ago) i feel fortunate to be alive, our instruvction was so lousy (no tandem, and I was on my own on jump #5!!!! then on jump 10 i did a 4-way with all participants having under-20 jumps) i will never forgive the irresponsability i was subject to...

#304 linetwists

the linetwists on the Stiletto put me in a spin and i chose not to try to kick them out (had pulled at 2500ft after a bigway). was under reserve at 1400

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

>Jump 1296, it was on a tandem and wasn't due to a packing error, it was due to the lines getting old. <

Prior cutaway experience is recommended for a tandem rating by the USPA and mandated by some manufacturers. Did you skip that?

Yes, I meant the link of the pilot chute/bridle/bag with the top of the main canopy, but it is all good information to know. I'm getting Slinks right away.

Bill Booth believes that having a cutaway on a sport rig does jack shit for you as a TI, since its a different system, different handle placement, etc. Since I'm RWS rated, my course director followed RWS/Bill Booth's course of action. Cutaway or no you do hanging harness drills with a passenger.

AFIK, Strong is the only manufacture the believes a sport cutaway will prepare you for dealing with 5-6 handles and the contribed tandem malfunctions that are possible.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."