MrJones

WIND??? When will you sit?

dEpending on direction 20-25knots in steady ground winds.
Realy gusty winds I won't jump (last week we had 5knots to 15 knots gusts ocilating 2 or 3 time in 5 minutes)

Uppers I'll jump anthing thats steady:):D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've landed in winds around 30mph, but not by choice - they gusted from 20 to 30mph while in freefall. I've done it once and won't do it again (it wasn't fun).

When I am current in a large area, 25mph is something I will consider if the direction and gusts are not a factor. Since I am not current and won't be until the spring, I wouldn't even consider anything over 20mph - one jump just isn't worth the risk.

If I wait until I see the skygods sitting out, it's too late for me...so I am when the students go on wind-hold, so do I.

Uppers? I don't think I've jumped in anything more than 40K, but I could be wrong. I don't look at them too much regarding the decision to jump - it factors into the spot, and also my opening height, but what it's doing at the top of the sky can be 180 different than what it's doing on the ground...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Considering my wingloading (light!), I don't jump if ground winds are high enough for students to be on wind hold. I hate backing up.

I also follow if the students are being held, but then again I am a fairly new to the sport and choose to fly a light wing loading (less than 1 now that I lost a few pounds).. Students on hold, I watch

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I stop having fun at about 15 to 17mph+

I won't jump in over 24mph, or anything over 18 if it's very turbulent and/or gusty to higher numbers.

Max I've ever jumped in was a non-gusty 34mph.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

2 weeks ago:
14,000 ft. -> 60 knots
ground level -> 18 knots

I've put 2 jumps landing out (like other guys). Wind was turbulent with fast intesity variations. I "started to stop" to be happy...due the fact that also with my canopy (sabre2 135 loaded 1.35) i was going backward downwind...sidewind, end opposite cells started to loose pressure and were next to close..
Andrea "Fast" Scaramuzza
http://www.fastsky.org

Upper (>5000 ft): depends on how far away I am allowed to exit, I jump in 40 miles regularly w/wing suit. 5000 ft or thereabouts, 25 miles is okay. Lower then 5000ft, depends on the direction. If the wind is from the east it can be a problem fast because we have lots of trees there causing turbulence. South, the hangars. North or west, I'll jump as long as I'm not going backwards at 500 ft and lower...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The uppers don't concern me to much as long as I know I where we are from up top. With the ground winds as long as there smooth I am fine with and have jumped many times in 22mph. Past that I wouldn't go up.

What could possibly go wrong?

I don't mind winds up to about 20, but like others it is the gusts or varied directions that bothers me. I'd rather sit and watch the entertainment than be a part of it. After my main smacked it's end cells together from a dragon bite in Raeford I learned a very valuable lesson. i think so did a few folks watching me.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

That also depends. I am not as concerned with uppers since that really just affects the spot not the landing. That being said if the uppers are blowing very strong from a direction that has a good chance of putting me over the swamp if the spot is off I probably won't jump.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

After a particularly scary landing in 30+ mph winds with less than 100 jumps experience, Orly King told me this: "I have over 3000 jumps, I wouldn't jump in winds like that."

I've never forgotten it, even 8 years later.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

25 in steady ground winds. Unfortunately, Colorado doesn't have a lot of steady ground winds.

Gusts to 15, but gusts bother me. Gusts can be under 15 right up until everyone is loaded, then jump to 23 or more when you're in the air.

My wingload has decreased significantly in the past few months, so I'm realizing that strong uppers are a lot more work for me. I'm thinking about trying to limit uppers now, as well.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I wanted to add another factor that I haven't seen yet -currency. As a weekend jumper in New England, this time of year my limit for ground winds is lower than it would typically be in August.

Uppers: No limit -just to know what they are at 3/6/9/12k before I get on the plane in order to plan accordingly.
Grounds: Highest was 30 kts / This time of year I'll sit out if it's gusty and around 20 kts.

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

I also follow if the students are being held, but then again I am a fairly new to the sport and choose to fly a light wing loading (less than 1 now that I lost a few pounds).. Students on hold, I watch

I quote my own post... I posted this one day, and today found myself waiting to do my "one more jump", number 5 for the day.. well... the wind went from about 8mph to who knows what.. then they announce "students on wind hold".. What do I do? I get on the airplane anyway lol.. I think this is the first time that on my final leg I just sat there, didnt move forward, didnt move backwards, just sat there and sank in one spot... Little more wind, I would have been headed backwards to the runway, would not be good.. Not to mention how much fun it was when I landed, I could not keep my canopy on the ground, it was draging my feet which I was trying to hold still, Pulling on toggles, it just flipped and kept pulling.. almost cut it away as I didnt feel like getting towed to the runway... FUN FUN FUN. :D

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Over 15 mph or gusting. Not worth it to me to risk injury. Plus if I see people with a lot more jumps than me sitting down, I'm sitting down. I want to be an old skydiver

:)
My D number is low enough that I KNOW when its time to sit it out on the ground.. and not be in the air wishing I was on the ground. I have jumped a couple times where winds were gusting from a storm front that was moving in... back in the day ESPECIALLY with a round reserve and diving a Parafoil at the ground just to keep from backing up was not fun to land.B| I have been on a paraglider more than once when the nice docile NW winds got UGLY out on the coast and the RIGDE lift turned into a bad situation pushing me back over 200 ft trees.

Usually about 20 MPH with my canopy I think is ok.. I have made it to being an OLD skydiver.. I want to get to be an ELDERLY skydiver:)

Uppers - No limit. I have exited in over 100kts. Our DZ is in the clear.

Ground winds - 15 kts. Anything beyond that takes the fun out of a swoop and creates variables which are potentially beyond my capability or the capability of my canopy.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

It depends on where I am. In Utah where I learned to skydive I would not jump in over 20 mph of wind. Where I work now @ Skydive Spaceland I will go in up to 30 mph of wind. In Utah it is much more turbulent than it is here in Texas ( High altitude, mountainous terrain, dust devils etc... ). It has alot to do with obstructions in the LZ that can cause mechanical turbulence. In Texas I can jump in high winds and it is not as turbulent until 1000' AGL or below, and turbulence is usually mechanical. My wind limits have also changed with my level of experience. There are alot of factors to consider when you are jumping in winds. I would definately be conservative with your decisions at an unfamiliar dz until you are familiar with local conditions.

***It's a weird sight following the interstate highway below and seeing that you're going faster than some of the cars on it!

:o I heard this at the DZ this summer
about a group that got out about 9 miles from the
DZ and were wizzing past cars on the Long Island Expy. WHOA, that takes a mighty big speed bag for
that. LMAO

Uppers - No limit. I have exited in over 100kts. Our DZ is in the clear.

Damn, must have been freaky spotting a plane that was going backwards, no?

Edit: actually how did you even get in position in 100kt winds, was it a civilian jump or like a military type thing?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I have jumped on a day when the Cessna Caravan was basically crawling forward at 14k... the "jump run" took forever... and the person spotting it did not take it into account very well. The uppers blew us back over town.. and there was a helacious wind shear that we bounced thru at 3000 ft... below that all was well and I managed to fly back to the landing area with no problem. BAD ASS uppers can make your life interesting.

Is anyone considering their reserve when discussing limitations for winds?

After all, that's the last chance canopy...and if you have to use it on a day which is marginally safe under your normal canopy, how would the winds/weather affect your reserve?

For me, with wind, it doesn't make a difference - I gauge things from the main (since it's larger, and would have less forward speed than my reserve - but only very little difference...210/193), but what about those of you who fly a tiny main with a bigger reserve? How does that change your perspective?

Ciels-
Micehle

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~