cocheese

Dumbest thing you did skydiving

well I did a down wind landing in pretty fast winds, I think they were around 15 mph maybe, right into on coming swooper going the opposite direction. I was fixated on landing on making it back when I got too low to turn into the wind. Got lucky and escaped with minor scrapes on my knees.
Also never assume that the field of weeds you decide to land in is only a couple of feet high. I ended up land really hard on my ass. It really hurt for a couple of weeks. I think I might have fractured my tail bone. Who knows? I made myself do two more jumps just to make sure I wasn't scared. That was all the pain I could stand. Ouch those weeds were taller then me.
Be careful stupidity kills in skydiving, so does over confidence.

Mis-routed bridle.
I was making my closing loop tighter (for safety) and was in a hurry to get on the plane.
I didn't know a lot about packing then, and put the rig back together. Retarded me misrouted the bridle and guess what happened at pull time ? Pilot chute in tow ! I reached back and tugged on it very hard 3 times, No go Bro. Pulled the reserve and poof .. my first reserve ride. Whew !
Grounded myself for stupidity that day. Don't misroute your bridle kids.

I can't image the hook n swoopers are going to admit they've done anything "dumb" even though many of them have a lot of metal in their bodies...:S and keep doing stupid things...Anywho, I suppose my most recent "dumb" thing was signing up for a load at last minute so it wouldn't be a "shut down"; then as soon as I put my name on the load, manifest called "now call" and I didn't have my rig on and wasn't ready..so I threw everything on and ran to the trailer/loading area while sinching down my harness and checking my 3's, etc..rushed to board the King Air..all seemed kuhl til exit, then I realized that I didn't have my harness tightened nearly enough and was "dangling"...I was really nervous and it affected the entire FF, canopy ride and landing. Lesson learned: If I feel rushed, I don't go and no more rental gear made for a man! (My beautiful new Mirage G3 is on it's way and I will call her: FREEDOM!:)

didn't realize that the uppers around 3,000ft were going 40mph and while I should have turned around into the wind I decided to gawk at the pretty clouds and sun, by the time I realized where I was I was about a half mile off... 1st out landing do to raw stupidity, but it was just soooo purrrty:)

I jumped with a pumpkin on my head at a very very very stupid low jump number. Beyond that, the time I lost altitude awareness and almost went in under spinning line twists is probably the biggy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dummest thing I ever did was around 30 jumps or so. Yep, it sucked. The winds were too high and I was under a 190 or something huge for me, could have been a 175 ...

Anyhoo, probably most likely due to my inexperience, I wasn't even thinking disconnect the RSL and chop it after landing the beast; instead, all I could think of was seeing the DZO watch me in his gear getting dragged along the tarmak and the $$$ signs flashing in my head. I fought that bastardly canopy and eventually I won, but it wasn't pretty, nope not at all. I managed to not hurt any of the gear; but my poor elbows, knees, and you name it got the brunt of it instead. B|B|[:/]

Lessons learned:
1. Don't jump in winds too high and if you do make the mistake of doing so, don't get dragged. Disconnect your RSL before landing the parachute if you have one hooked up and cut away your main after your feet touch the ground if you are about to get dragged.
2. Remember, you are much better off on the ground wishing you had gone skydiving than on a skydive wishing you were safely on the ground.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

You can learn a lot from a dummy. Maybe we can all learn what NOT to do from your mistake/experience.

What is the dumbest thing you ever did as a skydiver?

Pulled underneath a 15 way that I had funneled.

Blue Ones

Bryan

D27808

When I first became a jumpmaster,
It was common practice to remove your bellywart
while static lining students.

Put the last student out on one load, and bombed out the door...

Just catching a glimpse of my red reserve container
as I went past the step!

Douhhhhh!:o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I can't image the hook n swoopers are going to admit they've done anything "dumb" even though many of them have a lot of metal in their bodies

Im a hook and Swooper, and I will be the first to admit the stupid things Ive done, especially if people can learn from my mistakes, and not follow in my footsteps. Metal, yep I have plenty, as well as a limp that will never go away. Getting a swooper to admit mistakes is a lot easier, than getting someone that really wants to do it to listen. As much as I hate repeating myself telling the same old thing to people all the time, I prefer to talk to people and help them out, a lot more than watching them carried off the dz on a stretcher. Freeflyers, Relative workers, swoopers ect, im sure everyone will offer tips and advice if you just ask.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Ray, I'm impressed that you're so humble....others aren't. They are quick to blame something else..and they are another future incident waiting to happen. I look forward to meeting you in the near future and learning from you! :)

Rushed...Plain and simple, should not have gotten out of the plane...
No goggles, no alti, stuck toggle...did pull at 4k though as I was eyeballing the other jumper's alti, 4k was break off and plan was for me to dump in place. Stuck toggle problem was fixed quickly saving beer and $ for me and not going to my rigger. Ended up buying him beer anyway.

After landing crossed the runway going back to the hanger and stopped to tie my shoelace in the middle of the runway w/o looking AS THE PILOT WAS LANDING. Hence the nickname. I'll never live that one down and boy was the pilot PO'dB|
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

breakoff was 4.5, turned and tracked, then forgot to flare before pulling. Reslting in me being garroted by my chest strap, and the biggest adams apple bruise ive ever seen...

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

doing a sunset beer jump (hop n pop at 12k)... Hoopped, popped, looked for my beer... She decided to freefall again... 12k ft freefall for a bottle of beer... hopefully no constructions or roads under... no cows in a field either.
also going for a last track of the day with "not so experimented people" with 3 layers of clouds...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Doing an RW 10-way at about 60 jumps (which I wasn't ready for), base funneled, when it got back together I got stuck in the burble, crashed into the DZO hard, blew the formation. Too aggressive on approach to the formation. It hurt, I lived, I learned, try like hell not to make that mistake again.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I had to make a sunset tracking dive really really bad. With less than a ten minute call, I was able to pack, suit up and get briefed on the jump.:| Come pull time. . . I got the mugging of my life.B|B|B|B|B| the damage? Left end cell and second to left end cell. . .grenaded. Third end cell damaged because it's missing half the left rib. And stressed stitches in various areas of the top skin of the center cells. A repack job the day after getting repacked. and out about 800 dollars for the repack and buying a replacement canopy. lucky me I was able to find the exact size and type of my previous canopy. I looked on the bright side, I didnt drop any of my handles.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln