cocheese

Dumbest thing you did skydiving

i bought a new mirage g 3 last year.i had an old vector that the shoulder straps would slide down in freefall and man when i put that mirage on it was like putting on a custom fit leather glove.mine is so comfortable i dont even notice that i have it on.just ordered a new saber 2 135.3 weeks ago from arlo at tso-d.tll tangerine with a royal blue center cell.anyway you will love the mirage.let me know what you think when yours comes in .***no good deed goes unpunished

About 4 jumps without cocking a pilot-chute.

A.K.A. Collapsible Dave here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you pull silver or give her a tug?

It eventually cocked itself and inflated on each jump. It wasn't until about the fourth jump that I noticed a looooong delay. When I reached the ground, I simply asked my old AFF instructor - who I was renting the gear from that day,

Me: "Uhm, Mike, can I ask you something? I'm kinda noticing a delay up there. I pitch and then it takes a few seconds for the canopy to come out. Do you know why this might be happening?"

Mike Hagar: "Are you cocking the pilot chute?"

Me: "How do you "COCK" a chute? What does it mean?"

DDDDDDoooooooooooohhhh!!

If you have deployed your pilot chute, then whatever you end up with (PC in tow) must be treated as a partial malfunction and you need to cutaway before pulling your reserve. The only time you go straight for your reserve is in the event of a total malfunction.

I just wanted to agree and point this out again, just incase someone skipped reading it the first time. If you actually touched that hacky/pud or whatever...and nothing happens...cut away any ways...you never know. Someone had a pull out and nothing happend, but when he went straight to that reserve instead of chopping, which is what many think to do, but what happend? his reserve released presure on his main and poof out comes the main as well. Not a pretty sight to see. I know people want to argue this point and say end the skydive, but if you think about it really, in my opinion, wouldn't it be better to have to go searching for that main after chopping, if it does fall out, then having to deal with two out? Which most of the time who wins that war?

***If you have deployed your pilot chute, then whatever you end up with (PC in tow) must be treated as a partial malfunction and you need to cutaway before pulling your reserve. The only time you go straight for your reserve is in the event of a total malfunction.***

hmmmmm....let's ask McGowan his current philosophy on this situation. I remember some pretty good advice from him on this - a few years back.

That's right Mike, I was listening cause I know that you've been through this a few times. And the demon's were sleeping that day. B|

dumbest thing I did so far.....

Well, I took my ole protec helmet, got some industrial strength velcro and a jesters helmet n stuck it on top. The idea was to have it ready for the DZ.com perris gathering last year. I didn't even test it out before hand, just brought it down.
Anyways, after a few jumps I decided it was time to break out the cool new hat and do a jump. I guess I spent a bit too much time acting like the fool cause I was more concerned about that silly hat more than anything else.
On the ride to altitude, Hooknswoop looks over at me and points out that I had misrouted my chest strap. I had looped it over the outside of the locking lever and thru the elastic keeper.

Thankfully someone else was watching out for me that day cause I sure wasn't
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

You can learn a lot from a dummy. Maybe we can all learn what NOT to do from your mistake/experience.

What is the dumbest thing you ever did as a skydiver?

Falling back to earth in a really hard spin just for the heck of it, for too long! Not until an open canopy shot up past me no less than 30 feet away did I go "oh shit", flip over face to earth, go "oh shit" again, and pull! This was around 50 jumps, though I didn't end up low. The canopy I saw was another low timer who pulled at 3500...

Still the dumbest thing I ever did... after more than 1000 jumps to date.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I forgot another dumb thing I did... at Skydive City in 1996, was riding up in the skyvan and had my protec helmet with brand new pyro goggles inside, pinned to the wall with my leg. My buddy behind me got my attention and tried to tell me something so I twisted my body to get a better look at his face (I'm deaf and lipread). The guy sitting next to me tapped me on the shoulder, and I turned to him, and he said, "your helmet (unintelligible)". I said "What?" He repeated "your helmet just rolled out the door!" My eyes got real big and turned to where it was supposed to be, sure enough it was gone. I looked through the gap between the door and the edge of the floor. We were somewhere over the city... oh shit...

I was there for another 3 or 4 days and luckily no one had called the DZ to complain about a falling helmet... :S

Actually, that's about the only plane that stuff could accidentally fall out of if you're not careful, but still, always make sure any loose gear or objects you're holding is secured, regardless of jump aircraft!

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

...Second ASL jump:

My chest strap was kinda loose and, after opening shock, I noticed that the altimeter flipped and was facing my chest.:(
I didn't know that I could let go the toggles and fix it so what did I do?
Spent the next 3 minutes trying to get it with my teeth...:P...gave up, landed and told it to everybody.:S

Cheers,

Hey...ho...let's go!

first thing was jumping in a pair of cargo shorts and I didn't have the back pocket buttoned. While gearing up my girlfriend pointed out that the liner of my shorts was sticking out(right back pocket). i then just shoved it in as far as i could because my leg straps were already tight and got on the plane.

at pull time i reached and grabbed nothing but pocket liner, didn't realize it until i tried throwing it. Second try was pocket liner and handle. Main deployed fine and I landed safely off of the DZ and got picked up the the S&TA. :$ I was pretty much told to do something about that pocket or I'm done jumpin for the day.

Second stupidest thing is not having jumped since July because of one person's comment. Getting current next monday or tuesday though.

Chris

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

hmmm....stupidest thing.....lets see...the one that really sticks out is a jump in tullahoma tennessee back in 1996 or 97. I think it was a DC-3 boogie or something. I was wanting to land in the "experienced" field following my brother on a slightly windy day.
I turned in too late and landed in the parking lot....in the back of a truck!!! the canopy re-inflated and pulled me out of the truck quickly.
hmmmm someone shot a pic of that...lemme see if I can find it.
AH here it is. I landed in the back of the green nissan truck in the background.

live and learn.
my power is beyond your understanding.

Okay I will fess up here.

The dumbest thing I have done to date was thinking that I could deploy my main at about 2k and beat the Cypres. Well deploying at 2k may be fine and dandy for a old-time belly flier who routinely does this (possibly without a Cypres). But I had just come out of a head down jump hauling ass at 3k (it only took about 3 seconds to slow down from 3k to 2k and it's all on video) and my Cypres fired at the very tail end of the snivel as the main was about to fully open (this event occurred around this time last year). :S

Now I know that if I ever find myself at 2k coming off of a head down jump that I need to go for my reserve instead of my main. Hmmm ... maybe I should post the video of this on www.skydivingmovies.com as it should serve as a lesson that pulling at 2k for most people (at least those with a Cypres equiped rig) isn't such a good idea. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I've done plenty of dumb things; some I probably wouldn't post about in a public forum. I am from the 70's after all :S.

The ones I did before I had about 200 jumps were dumb and ignorant; experimenting with gear, just throwing on a student rig without considering that I'd only jumped cutaway rigs (I worked at a DZ that didn't do cutaways for students) and the like.

After about 200 jumps, many of the dumb things were accompanied by a niggling feeling of "I really shouldn't be doing this, but what the heck."

It's not macho to do something stupid and live. It's just stupid and lucky, instead of stupid and natural consequences.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

hmmm....stupidest thing.....lets see...the one that really sticks out is a jump in tullahoma tennessee back in 1996 or 97. I think it was a DC-3 boogie or something. I was wanting to land in the "experienced" field following my brother on a slightly windy day.
I turned in too late and landed in the parking lot....in the back of a truck!!! the canopy re-inflated and pulled me out of the truck quickly.
hmmmm someone shot a pic of that...lemme see if I can find it.
AH here it is. I landed in the back of the green nissan truck in the background.

live and learn.

Well, at least you didn't hurt the truck.....
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Wow there is a pile of things to choose from.

I would say one of the dumber ones was planning a 4 way that involved 3 of us tuning a couple more points after the newer jumper left at 6. Got 3 more in, tracked breifly, deployed, then watched a cypress fire mid-snivel. Took that one WAY too low. He landed the 2 out and was fine.
T.S.S # 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To dream great dreams is itself an act of daring. -Eric Shipton & Bill Tilman

If you have deployed your pilot chute, then whatever you end up with (PC in tow) must be treated as a partial malfunction and you need to cutaway before pulling your reserve. The only time you go straight for your reserve is in the event of a total malfunction.

I just wanted to agree and point this out again, just incase someone skipped reading it the first time. If you actually touched that hacky/pud or whatever...and nothing happens...cut away any ways...you never know. Someone had a pull out and nothing happend, but when he went straight to that reserve instead of chopping, which is what many think to do, but what happend? his reserve released presure on his main and poof out comes the main as well. Not a pretty sight to see. I know people want to argue this point and say end the skydive, but if you think about it really, in my opinion, wouldn't it be better to have to go searching for that main after chopping, if it does fall out, then having to deal with two out? Which most of the time who wins that war?

Of course I would rather have 2 out than having the main barbor pole up the reserve lines (as they can do when cut away) leaving me with a choked off or uninflated reserve.
T.S.S # 5
To dream great dreams is itself an act of daring. -Eric Shipton & Bill Tilman

>>If you have deployed your pilot chute, then whatever you end up with (PC in tow) must be treated as a partial malfunction and you need to cutaway before pulling your reserve. <<

While I agree with you, I think it should be noted that this is a source of much debate, with many others not sharing our opinion.

Cutting away before pulling reserve and not cutting away before pulling reserve can each lead to a different set of problems which, sadly, have led to the same bad outcome for the jumper in question.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

if it does fall out, then having to deal with two out? Which most of the time who wins that war?

Which brings me to the dumbest thing I'll admit to in print... After a 4 year layoff I decided to get current again and headed over to the school to sign up. They wouldn't let me use my own gear though and made me rent from them. Thier gear had an old FXC on it and I had never jumped with an aad. So I asked a few questions about it and off I went with an instructor to do a currency jump.

The freefall went fine. She waved me off at 5k so I turned and tracked, and tracked, and tracked... After all we were pretty high still... Out comes the main at 2500 and as soon as I'm in the saddle the reserve leaves my container. DOH!

I landed the double canopy. Downwind, because it was too scarry to turn... Had a great PLF and......

had to pay for the reserve repack and the FXC charge... Also had to redo the currency jump. Around $400 for those two jumps I believe...:|
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Hmmmm let me think....
The one that sticks the most is (pre jump 100) doing a horny gorilla with my BRAND NEW Tevas. Upon release of the hg, my ankle strap comes off my heel and the Teva almost comes off. In hind-sight I should have just let it go and chalked up the lose rather then fight to get it back on while still on my back and not flippin over to pull until I saw others above me opening. Needless to say the low opening caused a WAY off landing. Basically...Lose of altitude awarness!!! Oh yeah... then during the same off landing in a cow field there was a bull that was too close for comfort so I start waving my canopy at him to scare him off...[:/] which luckily worked....mind you it was a red canopy.:o
Another is earning the name "Divot" while teaching myself how to swoop or having my name turned into a verb...Don't Alex your landing"

If your gonna be dumb... You'd better be lucky.

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

Most recent stupid thing I've done - the thing that has kept me from skydiving for like, 2 years: Landing a malfunction! Torn right end cell, landed it anyway, torqued my knee in high grass. Gave it a few days, and a few jumps and then torqued it again! Gave it two weeks, did an AFF practice drill with Edge on video and for the final time, torqued my knee. Haven't really been in the air since. That knee still gives me problems.

On a jump, let's see. Hmmm. Oh yeah! Brown Field, the uppers were doing funky things. I'm doing a solo sit-fly with a whopping 30ish jumps. Out before me is an AFF practice jump with Edge doing video. They were all over the place, I was all over the place, at about 5 grand I look down between my legs and see their group really, really close! OMG! I immediately go to belly and track for my life. I remember thinking, I'm gonna be way too far away from the landing area. So waht do I do? Turn around and track back! Edge had deployed by that time and saw me fall past him about 20 feet away. I deployed, he steered away. We both landed fine. I was shaking from head to toe as the realization of my stupidity started to sink in. Then I got physically ill as Edge was walking towards me to chew my ass out, and I realized that I HAD ALMOST KILLED MY RIGGER! He saw me shaking and pale and was actually quite kind. Usually he really tears into people.

And that's all I have to say about that! :D

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

had to pay for the reserve repack and the FXC charge... Also had to redo the currency jump. Around $400 for those two jumps I believe...:|

What was the FXC charge? I've set off FXCs before, nothing to do except reset them...

or am I being naive here...?
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies