kevinwhelan

reserve out of date???

I am hoping to get a few jumps in this weekend. So sitting with my Girlfriend I just thought "when is my reserve due its repack?"
She said "Surely its not that Important"
My thought I am a bit anal about these things gear checks repack cycle ect. So I wonder if you were at the dropzone and discovered that you needed a reserve repack what would you do?
Not jump at all until it is repacked?
just do this one and get it packed then?
say " its ok for the weekend I'll get it done next week"?
How long overdue would a reserve have to be before you would not jump?

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Most every dropzone I've been to has kept on file my reserve pack date and would likely refuse to let me jump if it wasn't current. It's not a small deal, the pilot of the plane can lose his license if something happened and the FAA found out your reserve was out of date.

Edit: oh nevermind, I'm in the US. No idea how it works for you guys.

Zhills keeps a record of our repacks and if its past due we can't jump that rig. So if I don't keep track of the date, as happened a couple weeks ago, they will let me know! So what were my options?

-borrow someone else's rig
-rent one
-pay the rigger a 'rush' fee to get it done that morning

I chose the 'pay for a rush repack' option, and although I missed some loads, I got to watch the entire process of how the rigger checked out my gear, and did the repack. That was well worth the few bucks more, and I was back in the air soon afterwards.

marc

Most every dropzone I've been to has kept on file my reserve pack date and would likely refuse to let me jump if it wasn't current.

I have never seen this in my very limited experience. But if you were not "policed" in this respect what would you do?

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

I was told by the lawyer at one of the dropzones that I jump at that if the FAA catches you jumping an out of date rig, you, the pilot, and the DZO could each get fined $1000 for every jump you make with the out of date rig.

At another DZ I jump at, it's a beer fine if you get caught.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

I dont know what the repercussions here are for jumping with an out of date reserve.

If I realised it was out of date when I was at the dz I would probably jump it that day and get the repack done at the end of the day. Having said that, I know when my reserve is due to be repacked (how hard is it to remember a certain month?) and my boyfriend is certified to pack reserves so I have it pretty easy. ;)
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

I was told by the lawyer at one of the dropzones that I jump at that if the FAA catches you jumping an out of date rig, you, the pilot, and the DZO could each get fined $1000 for every jump you make with the out of date rig.

OK apart from the fines and the problems caused by being caught what would you do?
Is being caught jumping an ilegal rig the only thing that makes you get your reserve repacked?

I have never seen this in my very limited experience. But if you were not "policed" in this respect what would you do?

If I wasn't policed and no one would get into trouble if something happened to me using an out of date reserve pack, I'd jump it.

If I wasn't policed and no one would get into trouble if something happened to me using an out of date reserve pack, I'd jump it.

But my question is how long out of date?
Where would you draw the line 1 mounth, 6 mounths, 1 year 10 years, when?

I'd agree with that... or you can become a rigger and pencil pack it anytime:ph34r::ph34r: just kidding...

I always write the due date on the pack card and it makes it easier to do my repack before it is out of date.
I have packed a reserve that had been packed for over two years and it was a BRICK. either it would be a long long snivel or possibly not have opened.

But my question is how long out of date?
Where would you draw the line 1 mounth, 6 mounths, 1 year 10 years, when?

I don't know, I'd probably go by my rigger's recommendation. I'd mostly be concerned with

1> Will my reserve material stick like ZP does if you leave it packed for long periods.
2> Mold/mildew (depends on how I store it).
3> Just wanting routine inspection of my rig.

I'd be cool with a 6 month repack period, wanting that just for inspections, assuming I was jumping it regularly. I wouldn't sweat jumping a rig with the repack on the reserve being a year old if I knew it was stored in a cool and dry place.

OK apart from the fines and the problems caused by being caught what would you do?
Is being caught jumping an ilegal rig the only thing that makes you get your reserve repacked?

With the rest of the world tending to go with a 6 month cycle, and at least France just moving to a 12 month cycle, doesn't seem too bad to go a little over 4.

Well all, Beezy shaw has a rig almost 30 years old. he found it in his parents attack. He will be attaching a test dummy to the rig on the 30th anniversary of the last repack. So we will all see. I personally believe the parachute will open fine. Any takers. I call him pussy for not jumping it himself but thats just me.. Would i jump it...fuck no...lol
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Most every dropzone I've been to has kept on file my reserve pack date and would likely refuse to let me jump if it wasn't current. It's not a small deal, the pilot of the plane can lose his license if something happened and the FAA found out your reserve was out of date.

Is it your responsibilty the then in form your DZ when you have a reserve repacked, is it USPA regs?? how do they keep a record...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Is it your responsibilty the then in form your DZ when you have a reserve repacked, is it USPA regs?? how do they keep a record...

Where I jump (Perris & Elsinore), it's in their computer. If you are due, they will ask to look at the card when you manifest (Perris will usually also check the seal on the pin).

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I have a hunch there are a lot of rigger-owned rigs out there that get repacked once/year whether they need it or not.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'd wait to the end of the weekend. I've jumped with an out of date reserve (by less than 24hours) and I got bloody caught! I was very lucky not to get grounded (another guy was). I was doing 8way training and the team was really pissed at me. It was a rather painful lesson.

It's also a very good idea for your safety: one of my reserves had an assembly error (two lines crossed over) which was found during a routine repack (6 months). Makes me shiver when I think about that spinner with three line twists which I kicked out!

Going to check my reserves now...

thank god they are both in date, even the rig I will take to Perris will be legal (-the seal).

Blues B.

A few years ago, jumping at a UK DZ (not my regular DZ I hasten to add!) I was sat on the aircraft and I noticed that the tag on an AFF students rig indicated that the reserve was a couple of days out of date. I whispered this fact to the AFF instructor who was seated next to me. That AFF instructor then got out their hook knife, cut off the tag and motioned at me to “Shhhhhhh!” :o. They carried on as though nothing had happened and the skydive went without incident.

It suprised me a bit though!

Vicki

...It's also a very good idea for your safety...

For the life me I cannot understand why so many people are so willing to ignore rules, regulations, recommendations and everything else associated with skydiving safety....I just don't get it.

Re-packs, low turns, downsizing, winds, etc., etc., etc.
On the other hand, Incident Reports do make fun reading, eh?
;):P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

t's also a very good idea for your safety: one of my reserves had an assembly error (two lines crossed over) which was found during a routine repack (6 months).

Lines out of order on a connector link is a neatness/attention-to-detail issue, an indicator there might be other safety concerns, but not a safety issue in itself. The canopy will open and fly normally.

As for rigging errors, the length of the repack cycle doesn't matter, as the likelihood of finding and correcting a previous error is balanced by the likelihood of introducing a new error.

Mark